JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Beings as I'm going to be getting a Remington 870P soon, what do you guys like to do for a light on your HD Shotguns? I had an 870 with the full forend/light and I didn't like it, it was too bulky. I've been thinking about a Mesa Tactical barrel clamp with the rail so I could mount a Surefire Weapon light on it, like for an AR (not the X series) but I'd still have a button to push on or a dumb cord going to my forend which would be a problem waiting to happen. I'd probably do the clamp/rail with a Surefire 6PL in a Vltor mount or something, instead of the Surefire weapon lights that are like $300. I want it simple, light, and compact, and bright. Maybe just a X200 on a rail?

I've kinda thought about one in the end of the mag tube. I thought, maybe, if you sorta integrated the tail cap of the flashlight into the mag tube cap, you could just twist the light on. Problem I saw, was if you want an extended mag tube, the light would be way out past the muzzle.

Well, I don't have a shotgun yet, but I will tell you what I like to put on my rifle. Surefire X300. I like putting pistol lights on long guns because they are very compact, lightweight and still put out a reasonable amount of light. The pistol controls are also very handy to activate with your thumb if you shoot with a competition style thumb-over-bore stance.

If the X300 is too spendy for you, I recommend the Streamlight TLR-1. The center beam is not quite as bright and it doesn't penetrate as far into the dark, BUT it actually has a better outer beam. The less intense center beam may even be better for indoor use (don't want to blind yourself when you shine it at a white wall after all). I tend to prefer the X300 because I like the improved outdoor capability, but I like the TLR-1 a lot too. For the money, it is a great deal.

I was expecting to read a discussion of whether it's a good idea to weapon-mount a light. Both sides of the argument make sense to me; IMO it'd be beneficial for folks to toss around the pros and cons here.

I like the foreend mounted lights, especially the surefire foreend, for the 870. I don't like the other options for a pump action because I want switch for the light to be in exactly the same spot, regardless of whether I am pumping the gun or not, relative to where I am gripping the gun. I also don't like extra wires that can snag, get caught in the pump mechanism, etc. If the bulk of the shotgun with a foreend mounted light is too much, I would suggest a lighted handgun.

I was expecting to read a discussion of whether it's a good idea to weapon-mount a light. Both sides of the argument make sense to me; IMO it'd be beneficial for folks to toss around the pros and cons here.

Oh, sorry.
pros: can manipulate weapon with 2 hands and still have a light
cons: adds bulk, this is why I like the pistol lights on long guns. Adds bulk, but not much. :)

The Surefire is the one I had, with the LED light, presure switches on both sides, and the main power switch, it was top of the like. I just didn't care for it at all. It was the whole reason I bought the gun actually. It was at the gun broker for $500 with sling, blackhawk butt stock shell holder, surefire forend and speedfeed stocks. It also seemed to make it not "pump" as smooth. When I gripped the forend, my fingertips could barley reach the switch cause it was so "fat". I think I'm gunna try out the barrel clamp/rail with a Surefire X200 or X300 on it. I want one for my Glock anyway. Other than the bulk, I don't see any downfalls for a light on your gun.

I've kinda thought about one in the end of the mag tube. I thought, maybe, if you sorta integrated the tail cap of the flashlight into the mag tube cap, you could just twist the light on. Problem I saw, was if you want an extended mag tube, the light would be way out past the muzzle.
Thats true. But if you just built a bit longer bezel you should be ok. The pistol light I built/modded sticks out 1/4-3/4 past the muzzle on the pistol (depending on what its mounted to) and I have yet to have any issues.

I like my guns light and compact. If I stick 4" of light out past my barrel I might as well get a 22" barrel. I think 18" is too long anyhow... I could see potential in the idea though!

I like my guns light and compact. If I stick 4" of light out past my barrel I might as well get a 22" barrel. I think 18" is too long anyhow... I could see potential in the idea though!

Im thinking 20" barrel or maybe have it go inside the mag tube a bit, but you'd lose 1rd of capacity. With the circuit boards available today, you can run a light off of 1 CR123 battery and still get 2-300lm.

That sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd like to see one all done. Are you a machinest or something? I didn't really think of using only one battery. Now, thinking about it, surefire does have some super bright lights with only one battery.

This is the set up i Had on my Shotty befor i sold it...

myguns.jpg

Well a good light source such as SF X300 or a dedicated SF light is GTG. A GG&G rail mount or Side Armor mount is costly so($150-200) why not stick with a dedicated SF light like the 3V series for the 870. Train and use it, liability wise best to have light to blind the badguy as you rack a round into the chamber, no badguy will ever forget that sound.

Pro for dedicated light source.
1. dedicated light source with fixed manual of arms, finger pad muscle memory
2. LED technology, 100 + lumens for SF light.
3. No rails exposed 1913 rail covers etc. or angle grip like Magpul or a VFG
4. No hanging wires off of a rail mounted light or pressure pad to lose or fumble with.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-remington-870-shotgun-3v-led-forend-weaponlight.html

Con: COST of a dedicated light source

I have a short picatinny rail (Streamlight REM 870 Tactical Flashlight Mount 69906) that mounts in front of the magazine nut and have a Streamlight M3 mounted to that.

Image of Streamlight REM 870 Tactical Flashlight Mount 69906. Streamlight REM 870 Tactical Flashlight Mount 69906 FREE S&H 69906. Streamlight Flashlight Accessories. 1 of 1

The pressure switch tapes to the foreend and that's it. Very light weight, small, plenty of light.

I did reverse mount the bracket so it protrudes toward the front and does not overlap the foreend because I did run into it a few times. I had to flip the locking bar in the light to secure it this way but that took about 15 seconds to remove and replace.

liability wise best to have light to blind the badguy as you rack a round into the chamber, no badguy will ever forget that sound.

No bad guy will ever forget the sound of 15 qty 00 buck pellets heading his way either. Probably the last sound he remembers. Break in my house and there ain't gonna be any "Hey, here I am" flashlights or racking sounds.

I don't intend to walk around with the light showing "them" where to aim either nor do I intend to give "them" a warning sound to shoot at by racking a round.

However, at the ranges in my house the attached light provides a good aiming point, clearly identifies the target, and may blind the target as well. I think shooting at a target without first clearly and definitively identifying it is a good way to shoot someone you didn't want to like a child returning from college and sneaking in for a surprise, a pet, a Guatemalan brush picker etc.

Bad practice to shoot first and then identify the target.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top