JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to load some 30-30 for my grandson to target shoot at close range, 25 - 50 yards. How much below book minimum have you gone.

These will be shot from a Steven bolt action 30-30.

I want to do the same with my six shooter in 45 colt.

Just enough powder to get the job done, is what I'm after..

There was an article in Handloader about using Trailboss for exactly this purpose. Using it, you don't run the risk of double charging, erratic results or ringing the chamber. I believe the IMR website had a few details, but there's a whole lot out on the web now.

Basically, fill a case with TB until it is at the bottom of the bullet, dump it out and weigh it. That's max. Then, go to 80% of that as a starting load. Some have suggested 70%, but, I think it depends on the bullet and lube. Cast would make it easier.

I've whipped up some Trailboss cast lead loads for .30-06... , makes for some very fun light loads.

<broken link removed> has data for .30-30
<broken link removed> for other cartridges

Search on imrpowder for 45 colt data with Trailboss... should be there.

enjoy!

light loads means using cast bullets for the most part,although Ihear there are some for jacketed.
I use 10 grains Unique under a 170 grain cast bullet for my plinking.you can also use less,but in a heavier gun like my Marlin,it's a pussy cat. 2years ago I shot them in a budddy's bolt gun and they were still pretty tame compared to full house factory loads.
For my cowboy sixgun I use 200 grain cast bullet,and Unique or Titegroup.both websites have 'cowboy action ' loads listed,don't recall them off the top of my head.

Trail boss isa bout as wimpy a powder aas there is,I tried it went back to Unique and T.group. It was just too danged wimpy. LOL

I think the main advantage of TB is "fluffy-ness" as it pertains to the loading density... esp since the OP mentioned "just enough to get it done" & "how much below book min", which IMHO can be trouble if used with the wrong powder.

It was created to help out CAS folks with kB! in their six-guns. Its obvious if you try to double charge TB... not so obvious with Unique & others. Its power varies from pip-squeek to bunny-phart in cast rifle loads. I use unique for most of my pistol plinking loads, and am really happy with those. However, with cast-lead loads in rifle, esp for those looking to train new shooters, TB seems to be a golden ticket.

Generally light loads are ok with most powders. However, you want a bulkier powder as this will make your results more consistent. A lot of light loads never make it into load books because the SD of the load may be 100FPS or more.

PBinWA hit the nail on the head though. There is also sub-sonic load data out there. I've loaded 8grs of clays behind a 168gr SMK in .308 winchester (this is an out-of-the-book load on hodgdon's website). I might also recommend the castboolits forum Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets! as the people there spend a lot of time developing reduced loads for shooting CB's in a way that doesn't lead.

While this doesn't affect you, there are certain powders which do not tolerate reduction of loads, H110 is a notable example.

I've had some success with reduced charges and ballistic filler to maintain consistency - but a bulky powder makes it a lot easier.

I'm scared to death of ringing the chamber with a small amount of propellant in a big case.

I've had some success with reduced charges and ballistic filler to maintain consistency - but a bulky powder makes it a lot easier.

I'm scared to death of ringing the chamber with a small amount of propellant in a big case.

I've always found ballistic filler to be a mess, and it never works all that well. Black Powder Cartridge (BPC) shooters often use cream of wheat (COW) to fill the cases. However doing this will not translate well to smokeless loads, as it's exceedingly rare that a case 100% fills up the case, and doing so on a smokeless load will likely result in excessive pressure, and not compressing will cause ignition problems.

Some people used to put a little piece of kapoc or cotton to hold the powder at the bottom of the case.

As far as the "ringing" or "surface detonation" or any of the myriad terms used to describe reduced loads causing explosions, I'm in the "firmly don't believe it happens" camp. Such a thing is more likely a matter of bad powder selection than anything else.

A key case study in support is the use of titegroup and other powders ini .45Colt. This is a big case, and the TG barely fills up the bottom, even with a big 250gr bullet there's a heck of a lot of space in that case and even reduced loads perform great.

AM,

You may be right about the rarity, but, I have seen the end result. I do believe it is highly variable, and may depend on powder position upon firing, a big random factor. I've seen a rifle chamber, but, never a handgun chamber. In fairness, it was a big case, 45-90.

I also can't correlate a definite "ringing" recipe, so, I just avoid the possibility.

Puff-Lon works ok as a filler, one order lasts forever.

I like TB because there's minimum fiddling with it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews