JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a G30 and G23 and Id like to get a light to use on both of them... But i was curious, is a laser REALLY necessary for a HD gun with a light? I found a streamlight thats 90 lumens for $99.. thats a light only no laser... so i was thinking about getting that.. any thoughts?

I have been wondering the same thing . My thing is why do you need a laser ,other than the cool factor ,and to let everone know you are at the end of the laser thats not moving.On a gun like LCP with funky sights maybe.It would be nice if some real trainers would sound off and give some advice.

LAZORS PEW PEW PEW PEW!

Granted I haven't actually practiced much with a laser since I do not own one, but I find it does not help me shoot any faster. My eyes want to follow that derned bouncing dot rather than stay on target. If you want to be really fast get a fiber optic front sight and a blacked out rear sight. Or a red dot, but that may be a little too much in the race gun direction.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for being able to maybe have a bit lower profile when shooting around cover or aim in weird positions where you cannot see your sights.

I like to keep things streamlined though and only use what I actually feel I need so I rock a surefire x300 (no laser) on my handgun.

P.S. I'm sorry but I can't help it. The word is "enlighten" not "inlighten."

When I first got my xd9 I put a $300 set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it, I personally wasn't impressed with them, some of you may like them :s0155:. Luckily the store let me return them, then I just went with a Streamlight TLR-3 (light only,no laser) $89 at Bi-mart and I couldn't be happier. $300 wasn't worth the "cool factor" for what they actually did.....

I have the 90 lumen streamlight on my HD gun & its awesome. I leave attached to the gun when I go practice, and it has held up fine for nearly a year now. I can attest that it is plenty of light in a dark house, as I've done 'practice runs' at night w/ the lights off. I've even used it outdoors at night target practicing, and it lit my targets great at 7 yards. Did the whole laser thing on a Glock & an AR, didn't really do much for me except alot of $$ in batteries.

Last Edited:
I have the 90 lumen streamlight on my HD gun & its awesome. I leave attached to the gun when I go practice, and it has held up fine for nearly a year now. I can attest that it is plenty of light in a dark house, as I've done 'practice runs' at night w/ the lights off. I've even used it outdoors at night target practicing, and it lit my targets great at 7 yards. Did the whole laser thing on a Glock & an AR, didn't really do much for me except alot of $$ in batteries.

Purchased a LCR that came with the laser for the bedroom ... forget it ... the battery does not last long ... unless you want to switch it on and off every night and morning ... a light is much better IMHO ...

Purchased a laser for the carry Glock 26 and found the same trouble ... a light much better ...

I don't know if I am all that keen on the lasers. They can be nice, but I am not sure if they are worth the extra $$$ when combo'd with a light. I modded a streamlight M3 to be around 500-700lm and it works pretty dam good with fresh batteries. I would think a laser would just wash out in its wake :D. I would say just learn you gun and how to wield it properly and you will be just as quick if not quicker with out the laser. The only time I think I would use a light on a pistol would be at in my home for HD or at short ranges. Out side of that I would want something else. And at close ranges I am not sure that there would be significant enough benefit in target acquisition to justify the extra cost.

Light first. You need to see your target to hit it. Lasers do not illuminate. Lasers also create a bright red line that traces right back to where you are. And finally, Lasers steer you away from two of your "three secrets", sight alignment and sight picture. It is a rare shot that is actually enhansed or aided by a laser. I just made some IWBL ("L" for light compatable) holsters for some G23's. One was for a Streamlight, and one was for an Insight. Both lights, IMO were really nice for the price, but the Insight rates higher as the controlls are identical on both sides. Down is momentary, Up is "on". With the Streamlight, the switch is like a "teeter-totter". Momentary is down on one side but up on the other side. Both powerfully bright.
Ill be glad to make you holsters for both guns :)

Last Edited:
I have a copule of M6's and they are kinda cool but I can live without the laser. They do have their place in some very limited roles. I feel a light is absolute since you HAVE to ID your target before shooting.

Think about it this way how many competition shooters use them? They buy they best stuff on the market to help them win. I know most of their stuff is shot in the day so that right there tells you it is out for that.

Yes I know they say most shootings take place in low light so that kinda offsets the above statement but still........

I went To bimart and bought the Streamlight TLR-3 for 87,,, it fits my glock 30 good... only thing i do not like about it... is the fact i cant just push a button and clip it off i have to screw it off.. but i can deal with that.. very bright tho!

I went To bimart and bought the Streamlight TLR-3 for 87,,, it fits my glock 30 good... only thing i do not like about it... is the fact i cant just push a button and clip it off i have to screw it off.. but i can deal with that.. very bright tho!

:s0155:

I got one a couple months ago for my M&Pc and have been very impressed. Now I just need to wait for my holster to show up so can can carry the combo. I am hoping the first week of Jan. Check out Raven holsters if you want a holster you can use with your light.

Ok, so I totally agree with the thought that people become dependent on lasers to compensate for lousy fundamentals. On the other hand, I think lasers can have a legitimate place on a firearm. I will give a couple I think apply (at least in my situation), although I am sure you could think of many more.

Reason #1 - I wear corrective lenses (i.e. glasses at night, contacts by day) and sleep like a log. We sleep with the bedroom door closed and locked, so if anyone wants in, the hope is they will have to wake me up. If someone were to crash through my bedroom door, I would have precious few seconds to arm myself and prepare a defense. In that case, I don't know if I would have time to grab my nightstand gun, put on my glasses, and get into a proper Weaver stance so I can obtain the proper sight picture from muscle memory. Add to that the grogginess factor, which would probably be wiped away by adrenaline, but may cause some disorientation, and the bad guy would probably be able to cross the 6' between the door and the bed and really ruin our day before I could do much about it.

If I had a laser (and/or light for that matter) on the nightstand gun, it would aid in acquiring a target that much quicker from a possibly prone, sitting or kneeling position if I can't get out of bed quickly enough. Let's face it, in a situation like that, you would need every advantage you could get. Also, if you are worried about a laser giving away your position while you run from room to room slicing the pie, just turn it off. Most if not all lasers I have seen have a power switch.

Reason #2 - My wife wants them. Yup, I said it. My wife wants a laser on one of the pistols. That way if I happen to be away, she feels more confident in being able to defend herself. Be honest here, isn't that 99% of the reason that we have and bear arms; so that we have the peace of mind that we can defend ourselves in the slim chance the need arises? Sure, I have convinced my wife to go out to the range with me on occasion, but she has spent nowhere near enough time to become moderately proficient with firearms. You put her in the above situation, and I would want that laser to be attached to a doggone rocket launcher!

In either situation, I guess it's a win/win for me, since I got the green light to pick out a set of CT laser grips for one of my pistols! :s0155:

Now if I can just decide.....

Wont fit on the compacts though unless I am missing something.

I am looking at getting a TLR-1, not sure about the S yet. I just got a holster for my G34/35 that fits with a TLR-1.

The S doesn't change the size to my knowledge.

It ups the lumens and adds a strobe mode.

I really didn't care so much about the strobe, but I'll take all the lumens I can get.

The S doesn't change the size to my knowledge.

It ups the lumens and adds a strobe mode.

I really didn't care so much about the strobe, but I'll take all the lumens I can get.

Sorry, I will clarify. The TLR-3 is for compact pistols as the OP has. I dont believe the TLR-1 will fit on the compacts. Am I wrong about that?

I assumed the "S" was the same, it appears not. Looks like a TLR-1s is on my list :)

Sorry, I will clarify. The TLR-3 is for compact pistols as the OP has. I dont believe the TLR-1 will fit on the compacts. Am I wrong about that?
It will probably fit, it will just stick out more. The surefire x300 I have is comparable in size to the TLR-1, on my sig p229 the bezel is almost entirely in front of the muzzle. It does get a lot of carbon buildup when I go shooting, but just make wiping down your light part of your gun cleaning procedure. :) Mostly you just have to decide if the extra brightness of the larger lights is worth the bulk to you.

For about $5 more, you can get a Streamlight TLR-1S which is 160 lumens. That's what I use on my HD Glock. Check opticsplanet for coupons or free shipping deals.

Funny thing is, for $150 less, it's brighter than a SureFire X300 I already had.
The new X300 is rated for 170 lumens, supposedly with half-dead batteries. If you liked the old one, go check out the new one. It is pretty cool and much brighter than my friend's TLR-1. I don't think he has the TLR-1S model though, just the regular one.

Check out Raven holsters if you want a holster you can use with your light.
Yeah... and a 3-4 month wait. It's like getting NFA items. :s0114: I've had one on order since early October.

The new X300 is rated for 170 lumens, supposedly with half-dead batteries. If you liked the old one, go check out the new one. It is pretty cool and much brighter than my friend's TLR-1. I don't think he has the TLR-1S model though, just the regular one.

I'm not sure about newer SureFire stuff. I think mine is older.

I just know that if I have fresh batteries in each, the TLR-1S blows it away, and for $150 less. :eek:

When I first got my xd9 I put a $300 set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it, I personally wasn't impressed with them, some of you may like them :s0155:. Luckily the store let me return them, then I just went with a Streamlight TLR-3 (light only,no laser) $89 at Bi-mart and I couldn't be happier. $300 wasn't worth the "cool factor" for what they actually did.....

... like show how shaky your shooting hand actually is??? :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads