JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This guy here is 6 3/4 pounds field ready. 700 mountain rifle in 280 with a mcmillan KS stock and leupold FXII 6x36.

Is that weight with ammo?

Until this thread, I'd never weighed my rifle. 9.8 lbs not counting the ammo or sling... Hmmm, didn't feel that heavy. I'll bet that three pound difference between our rifles is really noticeable.

Until this thread, I'd never weighed my rifle. 9.8 lbs not counting the ammo or sling... Hmmm, didn't feel that heavy. I'll bet that three pound difference between our rifles is really noticeable.

It started out 6 1/2 pounds out of the box. By switching stocks to a Mcmillan Edge, the rifle lost 8oz in weight to weigh 6 lbs even. With rings, bases, and a light 6x scope, it was 6 3/4. With a sling and 3 or 4 cartridges, it would probably be a tad over 7 pounds all up.

For me, I prefer lighter rifles any time I hunt areas where I might have to shoot quickly because its more likely to be in my hands than slung on my shoulder. Sometimes when mule deer hunting i go with a heavier rifle because I have to shoot farther and dont normally have to rush.

For me, I prefer lighter rifles any time I hunt areas where I might have to shoot quickly because its more likely to be in my hands than slung on my shoulder.

No doubt about that! For several years I had my sling in my back pack. I sometimes use it as a shooting aid and there are times it's best to sling over your shoulder and have both hands free, so I leave it attached now. However if your rifle isn't in your hands when you need it, it's no good to you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top