JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a S&W revolver in 32-20 that shoots Oregon Trail Lasercast 115 gr. fp rounds high. I've tried changing the load and increasing the velocity to lower the point of impact and that worked a little. Now I'm wondering if changing the bullet weight is a better approach. Lee has a mold that throws a 100 gr. bullet and while I haven't cast any bullets in a long while I would be willing to do it again since the quantity needed isn't very high. So does a lighter bullet shoot lower?

Theory and reality are not always the same...

That said, the theory is that a lighter bullet will be pushed out of the barrel quicker, thus exiting before the muzzle has risen as much, therefore hitting the target lower.

With my minimal experience I read your post and thought "Shoot a heavier bullet.." a little more 'underhand toss' and less 'overhand throw'.

Limited testing did indicate the point of impact was lowered when I increased the velocity. Now I'm wondering if a lighter bullet at the same velocity would lower it even more due to decreased recoil because of the reduced bullet weight. I don't shoot that old revolver very often but when I do it's a very enjoyable experience.

.32-20 is a sweet little caliber. I honestly wonder about dropping your load even more. In a revolver with cast bullets you can get away with a lot before you stick a bullet. Even then, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a wooden rod and a mallet. IIRC 3.2gr of titegroup was the magic for that round.

When you worked up this load, how did you determine your POI vs. POA? By starting at 25 yards everyone but Jerry Michalick and his close competitors is guessing without using something akin to a ransom rest.

In other words, how can you tell it is the load /bullet and not you?

A lighter bullet will shoot lower out of your revolver, especially given the same pressure.. it'll even do that given the same velocity, which will necessarily be a lower pressure.
I cast so I'd get the mold.. but lighter factory cast slugs are probably available.

It's called barrel time. A lighter faster bullet will help as the barrel has less time to rise. Do a little reading and you will find this is well known. Less barrel time will solve your issue!

Are you sure you aren't getting too much front blade from the front sight into the rear sight in your sight picture?
Yea, pretty sure. I only have this problem with that revolver. The rest of my fixed sighted collection shoots fine. The front sight blade is not like the front sights I've seen on pictures of old S&W revolvers. It's a thin piece of brass that is pinned into the sight base. It looks like the front blade was cut off and a groove machined to accept the brass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top