JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My question.. If SCOTUS just told CA, HI, NY, NJ and others to retry their lawsuits concerning AWB, mag bans and such. With NYSRPA v. Bruen and Heller in view . Wouldn't this IP17 be considered unconstitutional at that point?
No, because SCOTUS only told the courts to retry the cases. The cases haven't been retried yet.

How will any gun dealers survive this?

I mean with the time involved for prospective gun buyers to jump through the hoops, and considering those who will probably not and simply end any future gun purchases I see this as hard times for dealers.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Standing next to a stack of petition-filled boxes, leaders of the group Lift Every Voice said Thursday they've reached their goal of 112,000 signatures in support of Initiative Petition 17.

If certified, that means in November Oregon voters will decide on their effort to make gun buyers meet permit requirements, add background checks before purchases, and institute a ban on high-capacity magazines.

The group believes IP 17 will reduce injuries and deaths from gun violence.

Second Amendment advocates said new measures like this banning guns don't make schools safer. They said safety comes from well-trained and well-funded police.
If this becomes law what will be the approximate effective date?

I have no intention of complying with any portion of this but want to get ahead of any buying restriction BS.

This one seems rip for an injunction or law suit.
Also, I suspect California will do an end run around the Supreme Ct. decision; like NY; their mag ban issue is in play. Also, if world wide events go kinetic this may change people's minds.

How will any gun dealers survive this?

I mean with the time involved for prospective gun buyers to jump through the hoops, and considering those who will probably not and simply end any future gun purchases I see this as hard times for dealers.
They won't, and that's the end-goal of this legislation: to iradicate all semiautomatic firearms in Oregon.

It will be on the ballot. It will pass. We will butch and whine. It will become the new norm. We will move on with our lives. No one really gives enough of a hoot to change this fact.
It is an influence on my decision to leave the state. No, not the sole reason, but combine this with increasing crime and skyrocketing taxes... I will move on with my life, and take my heavily taxed self out of this state. I give enough of a hoot, but I am not ignorant of the fact that in this state my vote simply does not matter.

I'm getting some planned future purchases out of the way just in case this BS Crap passes. If it doesn't pass then no big deal. I don't want to jump through those bullcrap hoops to buy a gun. I won't be complying with any of the other bs parts of this initiative no matter what but the buying part there isn't much choice. Just purchased a k31 mil-surp rifle, another saiga 12 clone, sig pistol, and AR10 lower for possible future Ar10 pistol build in last couple days.

Last Edited:
I'm getting some planned future purchases out of the way just in case this BS Crap passes. If it doesn't pass then no big deal. I don't want to jump through those bullcrap hoops to buy a gun. I won't be complying with any of the other bs parts of this initiative no matter what but the buying part there isn't much choice. Just purchased a k31 mil-surp rifle, another saiga 12 clone, sig pistol, and AR10 lower for possible future Ar10 pistol build in last couple days.
I'm also contemplating one more... I don't especially need it, but this time next year it may no longer be an option. Keep in mind with the media pushing the Portland "gun violence" angle, the Oregon Legislature is probably going to take a swing at us too. And that could be a big one.

It is an influence on my decision to leave the state. No, not the sole reason, but combine this with increasing crime and skyrocketing taxes... I will move on with my life, and take my heavily taxed self out of this state. I give enough of a hoot, but I am not ignorant of the fact that in this state my vote simply does not matter.
Yes. If you are a responsible and achievement-oriented person then you are outnumbered here, and your vote does not count. Because your "compassionate" neighbors will keep voting for more programs and services, and laws to make things safe, and expecting people who work hard and take risks to pay for it.

Yes. If you are a responsible and achievement-oriented person then you are outnumbered here, and your vote does not count. Because your "compassionate" neighbors will keep voting for more programs and services, and laws to make things safe, and expecting people who work hard and take risks to pay for it.
Last night I had the moving talk with my daughters, ages 9 and 10. We are looking at going sometime in the next year. Have to do some home maintenance projects and get a few things fixed to put my home on the market. Then Oregon can kiss my tax income goodbye because we are headed out. Going to be making a fact finding trip in a couple months to browse the ID and MT regions to see what we think we want, but the complete disregard for ordinary citizens rights and safety demonstrated by Oregon and their allowances of blatantly unconstitutional measures like this one are a motivating factor. My wife does not particularly like guns. Believes they are good for me to have, and for people to have rights to, but not a personal fan of using them.

However, she responded to this with, "They (in reference to the state government) want all the guns. That's not good."

My wife does not particularly like guns. Believes they are good for me to have, and for people to have rights to, but not a personal fan of using them.

However, she responded to this with, "They (in reference to the state government) want all the guns. That's not good."
She sees that it's a rigged game. Smart lady.

My wife is a lot the same as yours. Doesn't really enjoy shooting but grew up around guns and is glad that we have them (as a last resort). As a woman she hears a lot of things I don't. She and I talked about all this IP17 stuff last night and she said I needed to be realistic, because "they" were coming for us gun owners here in Oregon. If not this Fall then next year in the Legislature. We are flag bearers of the nuisance political opposition and they want to kick us in the nuts hard.

Last Edited:

PORTLAND, Ore. — Standing next to a stack of petition-filled boxes, leaders of the group Lift Every Voice said Thursday they've reached their goal of 112,000 signatures in support of Initiative Petition 17.

If certified, that means in November Oregon voters will decide on their effort to make gun buyers meet permit requirements, add background checks before purchases, and institute a ban on high-capacity magazines.

The group believes IP 17 will reduce injuries and deaths from gun violence.

Second Amendment advocates said new measures like this banning guns don't make schools safer. They said safety comes from well-trained and well-funded police.
Gonna lose everything with this police angle.

Alot more people would see things more clearly if you ask them if they think the police who kill people with impunity should be the only people armed? Why would I want to call someone to "protect me" that might just shoot me when he gets there because he thinks I broke I to my own house?

Police are the violent arm of the state and should not have a monopoly on firearms.

This "the police dont like this bill" bubblegum is just driving people further away.

If this becomes law what will be the approximate effective date?

I have no intention of complying with any portion of this but want to get ahead of any buying restriction BS.
I'm sure January 1st, 2023. So if you want anything that will be grandfathered in, buy it now. Already have some additional hi cap mags on order.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top