JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

PORTLAND, Ore. — Standing next to a stack of petition-filled boxes, leaders of the group Lift Every Voice said Thursday they've reached their goal of 112,000 signatures in support of Initiative Petition 17.

If certified, that means in November Oregon voters will decide on their effort to make gun buyers meet permit requirements, add background checks before purchases, and institute a ban on high-capacity magazines.

The group believes IP 17 will reduce injuries and deaths from gun violence.

Second Amendment advocates said new measures like this banning guns don't make schools safer. They said safety comes from well-trained and well-funded police.

Even if for some reason they manage get on the ballot after review by Oregon Secretary of State.

As a prior Californian who lived through all the madness and asinine gun laws. The only thing that will really change is the " permit to purchase" which is in direct confrontation with Bruen. Justice Thomas said there needs to be historical precedents with future gun laws.

In CA they call it a COE or " certificate of eligibility" which requires a written test and yes, " safe handling demonstration".

High capacity magazine bans while they suck for future purchases, are virtually impossible to enforce. I've dealt with this in CA, the burden always fell back onto the police to show you " illegally acquired" after said date. To my knowledge nobody that I know of ever got in trouble for possession. IP17 allows possession under " limited circumstances" whatever that means

Last Edited:
So assuming the worst, when would their illegal gun license go into effect, and do we expect it being blocked initially? I only plan on buying one more piece prior to leaving this state in the rear view, (as it would really suck to be almost their on a form 4 and have to form 3 it to a new dealer)

It's been coming for us for a long time. If I were a betting ban, I'd say this gets voted into law and won't even be close. The pro gun team simply does not have the number of people who give a damn show up on voting day, or enough people who give a damn at all

my guess, it wont matter. It will go on the ballet regardless
Not if they are challenged. It's been done before.

112,000 is the required amount this year to get a statute initiative on the ballot. On average most petitioners want to turn in an extra 15-20% more than the required amount to compensate for invalid signatures -- Of which there can be expected to be a natural occurring amount.

Some initiatives in the past that were initially approved by the OR SoS were later found to have as many as 35% invalid signatures upon further audit.

If LEVO turns in only 112,020(to be exact) on the deadline of July 8th. That won't be enough.

Not if they are challenged. It's been done before.

112,000 is the required amount this year to get a statute initiative on the ballot. On average most petitioners want to turn in an extra 15-20% more than the required amount to compensate for invalid signatures -- Of which there can be expected to be a natural occurring amount.

Some initiatives in the past that were initially approved by the OR SoS were later found to have as many as 35% invalid signatures upon further audit.

If LEVO turns in only 112,020(to be exact) on the deadline of July 8th. That won't be enough.
lets hope

Dear Amleth,

This e-blast includes: Information on "the great sheet turn in"; Where to Circulate; Circulator Q&A
SPRINT TO THE FINISH---For the next 7 days, we all need to circulate as much as possible to get our signature count up. Monday, we counted approx: 7,000 signatures
brought in by you and other Circulators. We're at 109,132 signatures at this writing. We need 112,020 certified by Secretary of State, therefore we need to collect 140,000 signatures to be certain we get those certified signatures. About 125 Circulators have taken on the "200 Challenge"--amazing work!!!, it is YOU who will make this happen. We're stepping it up; JOIN IN—our goal is in sight and it's up to up to us take us home. We will do this!!!
THE GREAT SHEET TURN IN

If you have any signature sheets in your possession today, bring/send them into the office now. We need to process as many as possible this week. (The processing is person- and time consuming.) On July 8th, all signature sheets will be driven to Secretary of State in Salem. We need your final signature sheets by the evening of July 5th. Joe Paterno is setting up local "sheet turn in hubs" around the state for that last day. If you can be a courier for other Circulators from distant parts of Oregon on July 5th or 6th call/text Joe at 503-312-3014 or [email protected].

Even if for some reason they manage get on the ballot after review by Oregon Secretary of State.

As a prior Californian who lived through all the madness and asinine gun laws. The only thing that will really change is the " permit to purchase" which is in direct confrontation with Bruen. Justice Thomas said there needs to be historical precedents with future gun laws.

In CA they call it a COE or " certificate of eligibility" which requires a written test and yes, " safe handling demonstration".

High capacity magazine bans while they suck for future purchases, are virtually impossible to enforce. I've dealt with this in CA, the burden always fell back onto the police to show you " illegally acquired" after said date. To my knowledge nobody that I know of ever got in trouble for possession. IP17 allows possession under " limited circumstances" whatever that means
My understanding is that any magazine over 10 rounds must be registered with the police. After that, it cannot be inherited or sold, except out of state.

So assuming the worst, when would their illegal gun license go into effect, and do we expect it being blocked initially? I only plan on buying one more piece prior to leaving this state in the rear view, (as it would really suck to be almost their on a form 4 and have to form 3 it to a new dealer)
It goes up for vote for the November ballot during which, of course, it will pass. At that point I too will leave this state in my rearview mirror.

My understanding is that any magazine over 10 rounds must be registered with the police. After that, it cannot be inherited or sold, except out of state.
Yes, and all semi-automatic weapons will be illegal unless they are registered with the state police. You will also be required to obtain a permit to purchase firearms. After all of this, they will be queueing up IP 18.

When IP 17 passes, Oregon will be the most restrictive state in the US in terms of Draconian gun legislation.

Oregon to Washington after the magazine ban: "Here, hold my beer."

Seems ripe for numerous law suits, injunctions, and constitutional violations. Likely many attorney's will jump on the opportunity to sue the State of Oregon and whoever. Guessing the NRA is following this as an opportunity. Where in the constitution does is say you must have a permit to purchase and where is the history of case law that supports their contention. And, in the face of a new Governor, likely this will be challenged.

So, apparently, you'll need to be pre-approved to buy any weapon. Here's the full ballot measure off the SOS site.

I was not sure when this would go into effect. I really don't want to go and support this infringement but assuming it passes, do we know when they intend to make it so you have to have a permit to purchase a firearm. Like I have said, I likely will only be purchasing one more before I leave the state. And it is an smg I am waiting on a tax stamp for. Again, not sure how long until the wife and I can move.

I am also curious if we will likely get an injunction until someone can get this labeled as the unconstitutional bs it is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top