JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think a great many of us of a certain age were influenced by the fictional Thomas Magnum and thought the 1911 tucked in the back of your jeans was acceptable.

More and more as I'm reading people's comments I'm liking IWB at this position as a starting point at least to begin. With this in mind are there brands that are generally accepted as being great at supporting this?

The Kramer #3 is what I've settled on for this type of holster, it was designed for the Glock 19 with input from Kelly McCann/Jim Grover specifically for covert operations. If I carry a WML or RMR'ed pistol than I go with some form of the old school Raven Phantom that everyone knocks off today.

Small of back carry looks good on TV but is uncomfortable while seated and slow to draw from. You also can hurt yourself if you fall on your back with a firearm between you and the ground. That said, I do have an sob holster and ocassionallly carry wiht it. Mostly its owb or iwb at 3:30 to 4:00

I changed when I carried over time. Carrying behind my back was difficult when you have to draw sitting down. Also be sure that you don't over tighten your gun belt either. I had to use an awl to make a new hole since I like my belt snug but when I over tightened using the holes in my belt I could not draw in a seated position easily or not at all. I carry either 3:30 to 4:00 position depending on my belt loops. When I wear a coat and tie my dress pants have carry at 4:00 where with my blue jeans I carry at 3:30 position.

When i buy a new pair of pants I put them on and see if i need to adjust my IWB holster position or not. I buy the same blue jeans which what I wear daily so the belt loops to don't change. But with my dress pants sometime the belt loop are in a slightly different position.

I tried several places and finally decided there no place you can "hide" a gun that won't show some kind of print. I finally decided on a fanny pack. Everyone knows you have a gun in there but everyone knows when you try and hide it under your clothes too. If you think a cop doesn't know you're carrying you better think again. He has the same problem and knows exactly where you have it. And my "fanny pack" is never on my fanny. It's in front where I can get to it........

I tried several places and finally decided there no place you can "hide" a gun that won't show some kind of print. I finally decided on a fanny pack. Everyone knows you have a gun in there but everyone knows when you try and hide it under your clothes too. If you think a cop doesn't know you're carrying you better think again. He has the same problem and knows exactly where you have it. And my "fanny pack" is never on my fanny. It's in front where I can get to it........

You better think again about that fanny pack if you think a cop doesn't know you're carrying, trust me, they pick up on it immediately. Not that it should matter if a cop knows. AIWB is the most "hidden" method for on body carry IMO.

You better think again about that fanny pack if you think a cop doesn't know you're carrying, trust me, they pick up on it immediately. Not that it should matter if a cop knows. AIWB is the most "hidden" method for on body carry IMO.
Read what I said again, I said the same thing you just said. Of course they know.

I always carry in an IWB and never a fanny pack since a fanny pack can be cut off. What kind of shirts are you wearing? If I have a polo shirt and also wear a sleeve-less t-shirt so my holster does not touch my skin. If I wear a polo shirt or T-shirt and have it tucked in then I wear a jacket that I leave unzipped. Not sure what firearm you are trying to conceal. I carry even when I wear a coat and tie and the only minus I keep my jacket on all of the time when I am carrying.

I carry a VP9 or a FNX-9. The FNX-9 has a safety on it so I always practice with both guns at the target range. I suppose I should get another VP9 instead.

I don't like IWB's because it usually points the barrel at my junk or other important parts of my body because it's simply too close to the body. Everything is in the front or to the side and never behind me. When drawing it out you are at the most likely point of it going off. I don't see the danger of getting a fanny pack "cut off" Nobody should get that close to you without some red flags going off. Nothing is perfect and everything has some advantages and disadvantages. The comfort level of a IWB is something I didn't even consider the first time I tried it. I would open carry before I did that. I poke a glock 19 or a Makarov into my fanny pack. The Mak is lighter but less powerful. Both are double action at least on the first shot with the mak. Very safe. I would never carry anything with a hammer locked back and don't care if it had 50 safeties holding the hammer back. Military guns like that were never meant for concealed carry. They were meant for the battle field.

I carry a g19 every day wether I'm at work or home or running errands. I carry it iwb at the 4 o'clock position and I have for almost 9 years. I personally would never consider the small of back position but to each is own. My g19 in the 4 o'clock position is pretty inconspicuous, while still being easy to reach and comfortable in all positions (sitting, standing, working, etc). I'd say find a good holster for it and train train train. I trained with mine at the 4 o'clock position from day 1, so instinctually that's where I go to grab if sh*t gets squirrely. That's not to say that you can't train yourself to reach for your gun in the small of your back as fast as I can reach mine at 4oclock. One thing to think about is if your back is up against a wall. With how things are going today, if you defend yourself you're going to jail point blank period and you'll be paying thousands to defend yourself. Find a way to do it as non-intentional as possible while still thinking about your options. For me, having the gun in the small of my back while pressed up against a wall by some maniac in Portland seems like a disadvantage.

But like I said... to each is own, and find a way to carry that's comfortable to you and train that way hard.. and stick to it.

I don't have a G19 but I do have similar sized pistols. A lot is dependent on the holster. There are some good outside the waistband holsters as well. For a long day or a lot of walking, especially in cold weather this can be a good option. I think fo OWB carry, the grip angle makes a big difference for printing, if you care.

I'm heading in tomorrow for pics, fingerprints and such for CHL application. When approved I'll carry a G19. I'm thinking small of the back IWB carry, but having never carried, I don't know if this is recommended, as I'm just thinking academically, and not from any position of experience. I would really like to hear from CHLs that carry a G19 or similar size firearm and what they prefer and why. I know there are a lot of variables that might come into play as far as holsters, belts, weight, etc. I'm 5'8", medium to large build, about 10 lbs overweight. I'd prefer to keep this topic on the G19 or similar size firearms and not on the merits of other form factors.

Thanks for your input,
JPR
I belong to a small minority who feels that no matter where you decide to carry your pistol (small of the back is stupid BTW), it's pretty much useless unless you get training and lots of it.

Going to the range and standing there shooting at targets is a lot different than actually practicing drawing your weapon from concealment over and over again, so much that it becomes rote.

And yes, I know the "stupid" comment is harsh- it's meant to be and I'm not backing off that comment.

1) I carry a Steyr S9 (similar in size) @ 4 o'clock with a loose fitting shirt as cover. This is the most comfortable and easiest to draw for me. Of course YMMV.

2) Dillon Precision has a really nice gun belt. Like any good quality product, it ain't cheap but it's worth what it costs.

I have been using a glock belly band holster for about a year, appendix. This way I can wear draw string shorts and still carry. And if I use a public bathroom I don't have to worry about showing below stall walls. Sucks for long drives.

I'm heading in tomorrow for pics, fingerprints and such for CHL application. When approved I'll carry a G19. I'm thinking small of the back IWB carry, but having never carried, I don't know if this is recommended, as I'm just thinking academically, and not from any position of experience. I would really like to hear from CHLs that carry a G19 or similar size firearm and what they prefer and why. I know there are a lot of variables that might come into play as far as holsters, belts, weight, etc. I'm 5'8", medium to large build, about 10 lbs overweight. I'd prefer to keep this topic on the G19 or similar size firearms and not on the merits of other form factors.

Thanks for your input,
JPR
Watch the Hickok45 videos on it would be my suggestion. He is a glock guy and g19 is his most carried as I recall. He has several videos on how to carry and goes through quite a range of holster options.

I'll start researching carry specific belts.

You will not be successful carrying without a solid gun belt. It's not a "nice to have" but rather essential.

On another point...personally I am not a fan of either leather or hybrid holsters for Glocks. Reasons:

This is Why I Believe Hybrid Holsters Are Awful | Active Self Protection Extra

I do carry in a hybrid, but daily carry has a safety on it which I think makes a difference. Or put differently, if everything relies on the trigger, then protecting that trigger (a fundamental job of any holster) becomes paramount, which drives you to something like kydex. With leather or hybrids, it's too easy for debris or a shirt tail, etc. to get into the holster. You might also consider something like Tau Development's Striker Control Device (SCD), which is a simple at-home modification that makes reholstering vastly safer. I put one on my Glocks. When I did carry a G19, I used a Veddar holster, but the sea of possible holsters is vast.

My opinions on holsters are not universal by any means! Just providing you a perspective.

I see that this thread is a few months old.
The g19 is a good carry gun.
As for inside the waist band or out side the waist band.
That's up to you
But I will say this no matter witch way you decide you should practice drawing the gun
And practice putting it back in the holster.
Probably best to do this with a empty gun.
OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
Inside the waist is easier to hide the gun but it takes more practice drawing .
Out side is faster to draw but takes more to hide the gun.
Might have to change your clothes a little bit .
To hide it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads