JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
L84Cabo brought up some very relevant cautions. I'll add another. You can't draw from SOB without flagging a whole lot of people you can't even see. Early on, I bought a very nice custom SOB holster thinking only about deep concealment. First, it doesn't conceal as well as you'd think. Tends to print and hang up a cover garment. Second, what I said about flagging. It's a beautiful wellmadse holster. I've never worn it outside of my house. Money well spent? I don't know. Lesson well learned.
Cheers

Great advice so far in this thread.

One take away is everyone is different, so you have to experiment and find what works for you.

* With that consideration, and if you're serious about concealed carry, I'd recommend getting into the mind-set that it is okay to spend 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 hundred dollars in quality holsters and belts in order to experiment and find what works for you.

* You'll eventually do that anyway, but if you start out with that financial comment, you'll be willing to buy gear and get to your "sweet spot" for what works best for you a lot faster. Most of us that carry all the time have a box of holsters and belts that we've tried over the years.

* If you buy quality gear, you can sell the stuff that doesn't work for you on this site pretty easily, so you can recoup some of your expense. I just wish I had had that mindset when I started, it wouldn't have taken me years to finally figure out what carry position and gear work best for me.

Another take away is that concealed carry takes commitment.

* It is not always comfortable (but like @DB is Here said, it is comforting). Eventually, I had to find what worked for me. Slowly, concealed carry became more comfortable and eventually I mostly don't even think about the fact that I'm carrying.

* It is not convenient. I have to consider what I'm going to wear, how to sit in a chair in public, or carry in a car, even how to take a dump in a public restroom (you laugh now, but try it with a G19 OWB or IBW :confused:). When I started carrying all the time it was easy to rationalize not carrying on short trips away from home - like a run to the grocery store, or video store (back when you rented VHS tapes ;)) or post office, etc. But, those are the times when, if you experience a random violent event, that type of event is most likely to happen. Also, if there are people who want to do harm specifically to you, those are the times when you are most vulnerable.

* Even with a CHL, there are places where you cannot carry. You must know the laws about where you can and cannot carry (e.g., not only can you not carry inside a post office, it is not legal to leave your pistol in your car in the PO parking lot), etc., etc., etc. There aren't many limitations, but one violation is one too many.

Good luck as you work you're way through the process.

I also IWB at 3:30/4:00. Its comfortable while sitting, standing, whatever. I have even fallen asleep on the couch on it with no ill effects.
More and more as I'm reading people's comments I'm liking IWB at this position as a starting point at least to begin. With this in mind are there brands that are generally accepted as being great at supporting this?

Not big on telling one how to carry but rather know the pros and cons of each position. Small of back pros: Its out of the way if you need to move around and work or do heavy lifting. Cons: If you fall on your back spinal damage can be sever, (most ppl think they will never be on the ground but alot of scuffles end up on the ground), You also have less control over the pistol.

Personally I carry a P10C (CZs glock 19) appendix inside the waist band. Im 5'11" 194lbs and petty fit. As mentioned you will go through a few holsters until you find something that works for you (forum can help with trading around). Also get a nice quality belt as even a good belt can help compensate for a not so great holster and really is the difference maker in carry.

Last Edited:
More and more as I'm reading people's comments I'm liking IWB at this position as a starting point at least to begin. With this in mind are there brands that are generally accepted as being great at supporting this?

I use a local holster maker's product. His company is called Cascadia Concealment. If you are right handed and are going to carry a Glock 19 with nothing attached, I may have a holster you can try.

Also get a nice quality best as even a good belt can help compensate for a not so great holster and really is the difference maker in carry.
@Savage Jav emphasized something that I wish I had known early on - and that a lot of people new to concealed carry don't know - that a quality belt makes a HUGE difference in concealed carry.

You can take the same holster and it carries so differently and so much better with a quality belt designed for carry, than with a basic belt NOT designed for carry. Makes all the difference in the world.

@Savage Jav emphasized something that I wish I had known early on - and that a lot of people new to concealed carry don't know - that a quality belt makes a HUGE difference in concealed carry.

You can take the same holster and it carries so differently and so much better with a quality belt designed for carry, than with a basic belt NOT designed for carry. Makes all the difference in the world.
This cannot be emphasized enough. Buy a belt specifically designed to be a gun belt, one that's rigid enough for the task asked of it. You'll be expecting it to support upwards of two pounds of steel, polymer and ammo. Don't cheap out on this one, most important item.

Like Dijytal, I prefer 330 or appendix. Your hands are naturally near the gun during normal activities for both security and ease of draw. I'm not a fan of SOB carry. Sitting would be very uncomfortable and has accessibility issues. Security is lacking. Especially being new to cc, you would probably be constantly checking\touching it to make sure it's not patterning, isn't exposed (cover garment hikes up or partially caught on it), hasn't fallen out, etc. Not to mention tempting someone to try to take it or just make a scene from your blind side.
This is a really good point for me, when I first stated carrying I was constantly paranoid that my shirt had pulled up and gun was exposed, for me once I switched to appendix I felt much more comfortable and in control if that makes sense. But everyone is different.

Mmmmmm, glad that you are no longer considering SOB carry.

I shoot IDPA matches... SOB carry at matches is NOT ALLOWED due to safety concerns:

1. The draw exposes people to the rear to being swept/flagged by the barrel.
2. The defender's own buttocks and legs are ALWAYS swept/flagged upon draw and presentation.
3. Re-holster is difficult and as previously mentioned, hard to keep garment out of the trigger guard/trigger.

SOB draw is slow and difficult to conceal. I watched vid of man being killed because he fumbled his draw and it was noticed by the opposition. (When possible, a stealth draw is advisable to use against an armed BG while they are distracted or looking away. Appendix carry is great for this. Watch some ASP vids.)

I carried a G19 until I gave it to my stepdaughter. Then a pistol only slightly smaller, a Ruger SR9c. Carried in a shoulder holster in the woods or in winter, otherwise at 3:30-4:00 OWB.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Buy a belt specifically designed to be a gun belt, one that's rigid enough for the task asked of it. You'll be expecting it to support upwards of two pounds of steel, polymer and ammo. Don't cheap out on this one, most important item.
I think I'm seeing from your comments that this is very integral to the stability of the carry platform. I'll start researching carry specific belts.

Great advice so far in this thread.

One take away is everyone is different, so you have to experiment and find what works for you.

* With that consideration, and if you're serious about concealed carry, I'd recommend getting into the mind-set that it is okay to spend 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 hundred dollars in quality holsters and belts in order to experiment and find what works for you.

* You'll eventually do that anyway, but if you start out with that financial comment, you'll be willing to buy gear and get to your "sweet spot" for what works best for you a lot faster. Most of us that carry all the time have a box of holsters and belts that we've tried over the years.

* If you buy quality gear, you can sell the stuff that doesn't work for you on this site pretty easily, so you can recoup some of your expense. I just wish I had had that mindset when I started, it wouldn't have taken me years to finally figure out what carry position and gear work best for me.

Another take away is that concealed carry takes commitment.

* It is not always comfortable (but like @DB is Here said, it is comforting). Eventually, I had to find what worked for me. Slowly, concealed carry became more comfortable and eventually I mostly don't even think about the fact that I'm carrying.

* It is not convenient. I have to consider what I'm going to wear, how to sit in a chair in public, or carry in a car, even how to take a dump in a public restroom (you laugh now, but try it with a G19 OWB or IBW :confused:). When I started carrying all the time it was easy to rationalize not carrying on short trips away from home - like a run to the grocery store, or video store (back when you rented VHS tapes ;)) or post office, etc. But, those are the times when, if you experience a random violent event, that type of event is most likely to happen. Also, if there are people who want to do harm specifically to you, those are the times when you are most vulnerable.

* Even with a CHL, there are places where you cannot carry. You must know the laws about where you can and cannot carry (e.g., not only can you not carry inside a post office, it is not legal to leave your pistol in your car in the PO parking lot), etc., etc., etc. There aren't many limitations, but one violation is one too many.

Good luck as you work you're way through the process.
Great info to consider as others have provided!

I use a local holster maker's product. His company is called Cascadia Concealment. If you are right handed and are going to carry a Glock 19 with nothing attached, I may have a holster you can try.
Thanks! I'm looking at their products now. Like to support local if I can. That might be the deal if I could maybe try yours to see how that feels. Still probably a couple months maybe for final approval and card in the mail. I'm right handed and not considering optics, going stock sights.

I have a few of the Hank's CCW belts. I use a 1 1/2" belt so I can wear them with blue jeans. I have another belt same style but I wear that belt when a wear a coat and tie only. I believe I have "The Gunner" belt and then I also have one "The Xtreme Belt" which has edge stitching.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/

I using an Alien Gear holster myself but I have accumulated some holsters that I don't use although I keep them in case my primary holster breaks. It has not happened yet and I keep ppare belt straps and spare hardware for them in my get home bag.
I like these belts

Spend the money on the finest gun belt you can find, there's nothing that'll impact comfortable and all day carry more than a sufficiently rigid and solid belt. I highly recommend Bigfoot Gun belts. I wear a 1.5" steel lined version, have been for over 4 years now. All the other lesser belts got donated or trashed...

For IWB carry, I highly recommend kydex, protects the trigger, protects from perspiration, makes single hand re-holstering possible. I prefer mine with an ear, to press the butt into the body, making concealment that much easier.

This is a Sig M11 (dimensionally similar to the G19) in just such a holster, comfortably carried at 3:00 with a 15% cant...
View attachment 796006View attachment 796007
I like this rig

When I originally got my CHL, I got a fanny pack to carry my G17. 2001. True story.

Ted Blocker Holsters in Tigard is pretty awesome. Their belts are exceptional. I have 10 or so of their holsters and after the first of the year plan on 6 or so more. I'm a bit of a leather s!ut I guess!

Day in and day out, I carry a commander sized 1911 and usually go Kydex OWB and carry at 3 OClock.

In the process of switching up my carry guns to 10MM, from 45 and 9. I like glocks, but I finally got a CBOB in 10MM that I'm looking to get into the rotation.

Good luck man, this is fun. Practice as much as you can, clean your pistol after every range trip, clean it after dry firing, hell sometimes just clean it for fun. Get familiar with every part and piece of it and be able to take it down and put it back together quickly and with precision. Listen to the thing between your ears and don't force it when it comes to a carry pistol. Sometimes it chooses you.

I'm thinking small of the back IWB carry, but having never carried, I don't know if this is recommended, as I'm just thinking academically, and not from any position of experience.

SOB can cause damage to spine or kidneys and is nearly impossible to draw if you are pinned on the back whether on the ground or up against a wall. It is very telegraphic in the draw and not nearly as concealable as people think. Single worse carry position IMO.
The Danger Of "Small Of The Back" Carry

I would recommend strong side IWB or AIWB.

I'm a small guy and I carry a G19 IWB appendix. Works well for me. Just keep your expectations real.

1608664678670.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads