JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm heading in tomorrow for pics, fingerprints and such for CHL application. When approved I'll carry a G19. I'm thinking small of the back IWB carry, but having never carried, I don't know if this is recommended, as I'm just thinking academically, and not from any position of experience. I would really like to hear from CHLs that carry a G19 or similar size firearm and what they prefer and why. I know there are a lot of variables that might come into play as far as holsters, belts, weight, etc. I'm 5'8", medium to large build, about 10 lbs overweight. I'd prefer to keep this topic on the G19 or similar size firearms and not on the merits of other form factors.

Thanks for your input,
JPR

Best thing I can say is just like the rest of us, you're going to have to get a few different holsters and try them out. That being said, I IWB a Glock 22 at the 8 'clock postion( I'm left handed) The holster is a Binachi.

Best thing I can say is just like the rest of us, you're going to have to get a few different holsters and try them out. That being said, I IWB a Glock 22 at the 8 'clock postion( I'm left handed) The holster is a Binachi.

Was here just to say this...
It would be normal if, at this time in one year you end up with a drawer full of assorted holsters and are still looking for that, "one".
Me, I shoulder holster almost everything.
Welcome to EDC.

G19 is kinda big in small of back. I carry one, I'm fluffy.
3:30 is a good spot for that pistol or appendix.

They hide well in both those spots.

The S & W SD 9 is the same size. I carry at 4 O'Clock IWB in a Concealment Express Kydex.

Good luck with your search.

What I like is that the gun is NOT in the small of my back - hard to reach and a trip to the ER if I land on my back. I like that my holster can easily be removed from my belt.

What the others said already about you'll have to go through the motions of trying some but, if you're going to be spending lots of time in a car or even on your feet all day, try a shoulder holster.

It's pretty difficult to draw IWB from a car seat and seatbelt, and just ask any cop how they feel about a bunch of weight on their waistline/ hips all day long.

An aside, if you already wear a belt every day for work and you go IWB, you will probably also need to buy a bunch of new belts...maybe.

Good luck :)

I have a few of the Hank's CCW belts. I use a 1 1/2" belt so I can wear them with blue jeans. I have another belt same style but I wear that belt when a wear a coat and tie only. I believe I have "The Gunner" belt and then I also have one "The Xtreme Belt" which has edge stitching.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/

I using an Alien Gear holster myself but I have accumulated some holsters that I don't use although I keep them in case my primary holster breaks. It has not happened yet and I keep spare belt straps and spare hardware for them in my get home bag.

Last Edited:
Like Dijytal, I prefer 330 or appendix. Your hands are naturally near the gun during normal activities for both security and ease of draw. I'm not a fan of SOB carry. Sitting would be very uncomfortable and has accessibility issues. Security is lacking. Especially being new to cc, you would probably be constantly checking\touching it to make sure it's not patterning, isn't exposed (cover garment hikes up or partially caught on it), hasn't fallen out, etc. Not to mention tempting someone to try to take it or just make a scene from your blind side.

While I do not own or carry a G19...
I do think that the following will still be applicable :

Understand that you go through many different styles of holsters and belts , 'till like Goldilocks , you find the ones that are just right.
This will take time , experience and money.

Practice carrying around in your house , car and yard , before going out...
See what works in regards to keeping you pistol comfortable and concealed , while doing common everyday activities.
To include practicing using the restroom while carrying...You don't want to be that guy who makes the news with having a "accident" ( of either kind :D ) while in the restroom.

With your unloaded pistol practice drawing and re-holstering , while wearing your normal , most commonly worn clothing.
Andy

Last Edited:
I'm left handed and IWB carry a G26 at the 730/8 position for EDC and OWB carry a G19 at the 830/9 position at the range, on duty, out in the woods and etc. I went through a ton of different types of holsters before I just had custom ones made.

End of the day it's going to be trial and error to get yourself comfortable, there's just so many variables.
I carry behind my right hip, as for me it was the place that caused the least interference/distraction and needed the least sdjustment going about my day- standing, driving, loading groceries into my car etc. My belt is a decent leather one and my holster is leather with a non re-enforced mouth as reholstering is low on my list vs comfort.
It stays in place so I don't need to adjust it or think about it. I also dress (very) casually, loose jeans, tee shirt, jacket or hoody, so that helps with concealment, although no one is checking out my hips unless I'm drawing attention to that area by fiddling or having to adjust my carry.

The only reason I have a shelf full of holsters is because I have the same brand for different pistols.

I have a G19 on rotation, my holster of choice is the Alien Gear Holster Cloak Tuck. I generally have the primary handgun at 4 o'clock. BUG front pocket or ankle or off body depending on situation.

My belt is the Slide Belts Survival, no issues with sagging or too lose.

My glock is at the shop getting work done on my secondary slide. PM me if you want to check out the holster.

I remember when I started carrying. I was paranoid someone was going to see it...

I've carried a Commander sized 1911 for years. IWB, about 3:30-4:00. Lots of different options, but IWB makes a lot less gun to "hide".

This is what I use. Honestly I rarely carry the spare mag, but it's an option.
cbob in leather.jpg

Spend the money on the finest gun belt you can find, there's nothing that'll impact comfortable and all day carry more than a sufficiently rigid and solid belt. I highly recommend Bigfoot Gun belts. I wear a 1.5" steel lined version, have been for over 4 years now. All the other lesser belts got donated or trashed...

For IWB carry, I highly recommend kydex, protects the trigger, protects from perspiration, makes single hand re-holstering possible. I prefer mine with an ear, to press the butt into the body, making concealment that much easier.

This is a Sig M11 (dimensionally similar to the G19) in just such a holster, comfortably carried at 3:00 with a 15% cant...
14FD2CFB-E28F-4FC1-962E-3632B3739254.jpeg 96891F83-7622-4A4E-B172-C258BC01E2E8.jpeg

I can almost guarantee you'll change not only your holster and carry position, but your pistol as well several times, then maybe several times again. You'll go smaller, bigger, change calibers maybe even colors. Might take literal years before you finally settle. Then you'll change again. I'll add that the G19 I currently carry has been in and out of the rotation since near the beginning with most others finding their way in, then back in the safe to be forgotten. It's an adventure for sure

My advice is to stay away from "small of back" carry...
  • Very bad things happen if you fall on your gun in that location
  • It's a very difficult position to defend from gun grabs and/or hard to protect walking through crowds, etc.
  • It's damn near impossible to re-holster without flagging yourself
  • Comparatively it's slower to draw from than all other positions and can be difficult to reach and/or get cover garments out of the way
  • Similarly it's impossible to visually inspect if your cover garment has entered the holster and/or trigger area
  • Consider if you ever do have to draw and then reholster quickly for whatever reason...like the cops show up and you don't want to be sitting there with a gun in your hand. Again, it's a very difficult position to re-holster to.
Consider strong side carry in the 3-5 o'clock position or appendix carry which is extremely popular these days.

Been carrying a Gen 5 G23 lately in a Bianchi Remedy OWB leather holster at 4 O'Clock position. It's the best for ME based on my body type and clothing. Used to be paranoid about being "made", but 99% of people wouldn't notice if you walked around WalMart with a pistol in your hand.

_uN6OMGvSBaMt-QOfmdqLQ.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads