Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Life of a Mag

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Starship, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Is there a generally anticipated life-span to a magazine?
    I know they can be rebuilt with a new spring but how often is this necessary and/or when should it be done?? Is there anything besides the spring that needs to be changed?

2. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Northern Idaho Member

When the magazine fails to lock the bolt/slide open after the last round fired, it's time to change out the spring. A simple test at the range is to insert one round in the mag and fire it. If the gun locks open, you're fine. What kind of mags are they?

3. Starship

I knew I should have included that info:
    Springfield XD-9 and STI GP6-C

4. Taurus 617 CCW

How many rounds do you have through the mags approximately? Do you do a lot of loading and unloading by hand? ie. switching out target ammo for defense ammo after a range trip.

5. Starship

I'm pretty sure that none of my mags are ready for a rebuild but was curious on the life.

For the XD I have 4 mags and each one has about 350 rounds through it. The GP6-C is new and only has about 100 rounds through each of 2 mags.

There is not alot of loading and unloading done. Just recently started keeping the XD loaded at home. I keep one mag with 10 to 12 rounds in it (my logic being not to completely depress the spring) and rotate the ammo (one mag to another) about once a week.

I do not keep any of the mags for the GP6-C loaded when not in use.

6. Taurus 617 CCW

The springs in most magazines are constructed of round coils. This particular design only gets stressed when in motion (loading or unloading). It does not matter how many rounds you keep in your magazine. I keep my mags loaded for extended periods of time and it doesn't hurt them. I also have mags that are for "playing" and my defense mags.