JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would help to have a few more fish out there to catch but the Indians have managed to make a real mess of the Salmon Fishery in the PNW. And with all the help from our State Government, well they are Not exactly impressive on either the Fish or Game side of the ledger.
This is a true post .I have people in my family on my sister husband side that protest every thing oil coal bla bla bla save the whales I told them YOU ARE PROTESTING THE WRONG THINGS YOU SHOULD BE PROTESTING THE TRIBAL FISHING

Sensitivity comes at a price. Graphite these days can feel everything, but they snap easy. Older rods are slower and more flexible. They are more durable, but far less sensitive.
I just buy the 10 or 12 ugly sticks they are 60 to 90 bucks and will last a year or two

117.jpeg IMAG0430.jpg IMAG1005.jpg

Sad to say by the time I retire from work .there will be no more sport fishing in Washington so my plans to buy a nice boat and fish are changing to buy a nice bass boat and move

Off topic .
Ok back on topic buy a nice ugly stick they make them for all types of fishing and if you take care of it it will last years

I have many rods from the 80s on up, never broken one, and they still fish fine! I have three of the G.I. Joe's North X Northwest rods that are some of the very best made rods you could get, all have been used hard, and all are still in perfect shape, I would have no issues fishing any of them! Lamiglass rods are also awesome, they have exceptional life, very sensitive, and very strong, the hybrid rods of theirs are unbeatable, I have landed many 20 pound+ Chinook on a 6to15 med weight drift rod, never over stressed them! Much the same with older Fenwick, Feather, and G-Loomis rods, never had any issues! :)

BTW, I'm going to be selling most of it, including several grand worth of rods, reels, and a metric chit ton of tackle! P.M. if intrested! Need to make a list and start posting in the adds section! :)

Whelp, I ended up getting a new rod. a 5' ultralight on a North Fork Custom blank. I can't believe how light it is, I believe its under an ounce. Got to use it up on lake Kinny, but that is something for another post

I still use old rods... they are my treasures!!! Caught my first salmon on a rod I had from the 60s.

The advise about bent rods is good stuff. Be careful how you store them. Lay flat or hang up.

BTW, any damage to wrappings or eyelets can be repaired/replaced. Been there done that, it's fun.

Excellent response sir.
I too have some older rods, 25 to 30 years old They are still used today because I took the time to think ahead about rod storage when not in use. I frequently rotate these into my boat during different seasons ( salmon, steelhead, trout and Kokanee).
If they are two piece rods I break them down and lean them against the shop wall where there is very little traffic to accidentally knock them over. If they are one piece they get placed right next to the wall so they are standing just about straight up without falling.
I only have two precious heirloom rods that are priceless, they are my kids first fishing rods and they will be handed down to their kids to be taught how to fish.;)

Yep down riggers can where out rods but depending on how much you fish two years

I've got four lamiglas classic glass 7ft rods that I use in my downriggers for Kokanee they have lasted over 5 years with the occasional broken tip because of inadvertent line rap on the tips before deployment. DOUGHHHH:eek:

Last Edited:
Pal of mine with no interest in fishing got left his uncle's collection of Hardy fly-fishing rods, made for his uncle's grandfather in the late 1890's.

When he found out how much they were worth, he decided to take up fishing, and now spends his grandkids' inheritance standing in water up in Scotland.

tac

I've got for lamiglas classic glass 7ft rod that I use in my downriggers for Kokanee they have lasted over 5 years with the occasional broken tip because of inadvertent line rap on the tips before deployment. DOUGHHHH:eek:
Reminds me of my Fenwick 5 foot ultra light that turned into a 4.5 foot after the tip getting spammed off twice :oops:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top