JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't seen anyone I know changing anything at all. I do see a lot more worry/fear/distrust in people's eyes, but what's it matter? I mean, if you've seen the news, there won't be life after this Bologna care it's the GREAT DEPRESSION :rolleyes:

Not going to work when sick.

That lasts 10 minutes. If you are an engineer where I work, you can probably work from home more. If you interface with customers - job titles like Clerk, Sales Manager, Cashier, then if you don't come in, who will? The business has to be open. Probably the people with these positions won't carry a sick day balance.

My co-worker an engineer, always seems to have 0 sick time. My Sis-In-Law has like 500 days of sick time (approx 20 years accruing) - she is deemed "essential" and hates that she has to be a the hospital working during this crisis.

That lasts 10 minutes. If you are an engineer where I work, you can probably work from home more. If you interface with customers - job titles like Clerk, Sales Manager, Cashier, then if you don't come in, who will? The business has to be open. Probably the people with these positions won't carry a sick day balance.

My co-worker an engineer, always seems to have 0 sick time. My Sis-In-Law has like 500 days of sick time (approx 20 years accruing) - she is deemed "essential" and hates that she has to be a the hospital working during this crisis.

I was fortunate (and still am) that I can do my job (if I had one, which I don't now, but the layoff was not due to CV) at home - easily, and actually better.

But I always only used the mandatory (by OR state law) paid sick leave when I was actually sick. I usually had more than 40 hours accumulated. That said, I can understand how people in public facing positions can get sick more often - more exposure.

I've worked with broke jackasses, self-important fools, the guy afraid to lose his job and just plain selfish bass turds all my life who go to work when sick.
The above is my FBI Profile on the four types of people who go to work sick and spread it to the rest of the team.
This is all in my Pet Peeve File if you can't already tell.

Here's hoping that going forward, education and peer pressure will help these people make better decisions.
THE JOB WILL RUN FOR A FEW DAYS WITHOUT YOU.

Book it.

Last Edited:
Well based on the fact no store is going to take any of this food or paper products back I would guess there's going to be a lot more fat people on the other end of this.

I was fortunate (and still am) that I can do my job (if I had one, which I don't now, but the layoff was not due to CV) at home - easily, and actually better.

But I always only used the mandatory (by OR state law) paid sick leave when I was actually sick. I usually had more than 40 hours accumulated. That said, I can understand how people in public facing positions can get sick more often - more exposure.

I work construction for me to not be in the dump truck costs the co. $100 an hour. I get 2 weeks paid vacation and 1 week paid time off. I rarely work between Thanksgiving and about Easter so I just cash out my time right after the first of NOV so it doesn't effect my winter unemp check and I have some money to work on projects while I am off all winter. Done this for like 16 years., Don't think I have taken any paid time off. And that includes when I torn the Bicep muscle off my right arm. I just went on light duty and took safety classes on line and helped the mechanics and ran parts.

I think most people who bought their first gun during this crisis will realize a $0.70 mask will protect their life better from a pandemic than a firearm.

But welcome to the club anyway.

I work construction for me to not be in the dump truck costs the co. $100 an hour.

Because I was paid hourly by a staffing agency, if I took sick time, it cost the agency $50/hr to pay me for the sick hours, then they lost somewhere around $85/hr that they would normally get from the client but didn't. Not sure how that all adds up.

I get 2 weeks paid vacation and 1 week paid time off. I rarely work between Thanksgiving and about Easter so I just cash out my time right after the first of NOV so it doesn't effect my winter unemp check and I have some money to work on projects while I am off all winter. Done this for like 16 years., Don't think I have taken any paid time off. And that includes when I torn the Bicep muscle off my right arm. I just went on light duty and took safety classes on line and helped the mechanics and ran parts.

No paid vacation for me, for almost 9 years. :s0092:

When the company would have a holiday, it was a day without pay for me.

I rarely took a day off.

When I first started writing code about 25 years ago, I was riding a motorcycle, popped a wheelie and lost it. Dropped the bike on my foot and crushed it. Reconstructive surgery. Cast. Pins sticking out of my foot. As soon as I could get up and hobble around on crutches without passing out from pain - about a week later - I went back to work. Went into the office with my foot propped up on a chair, writing code.

I can't do that kind of thing today - too old - can't tough it out anymore. Plus I don't want to make others sick when I have something contagious.

Last Edited:
Watching my retirement funds lose and gain thousands of dollars every day.

Initially was down ~$80K, back up from that bottom about ~$50K in several weeks (if that was $50K up from where I was before CV I would be very excited - but that means I am still down ~$30K overall).

I expect this to be the future for the rest of the year - a bouncy ball up and down for a while, maybe wil a gradual increase up towards where I was? I don't know. Might be another big drop in store once things become apparent as to the effects of the shutdown and all the people (myself included - probably) who will still be unemployed once things open up.

Then the impact of trillions of dollars added to the deficit?

The possibility of a return of the virus in force after a return to work/etc?

The question becomes one of when will there be an "after"?

Will there be a new normal or will we more or less return to the old normal?

In all probability, things will return to the same-old same-old with the only difference being most people talking a good game but not actually changing behavior much, while insisting YOU do.... kind of an even more constant and obnoxious "Do as I say, Not as I do" attitude that we are already enduring from the "global Climate Alarmist" crowd of Limousine Liberals and "woke folk" that trash public parks for Earth Day.

If there is going to be a "second wave" it will be timed to both scare away the "more at-risk" mature voters from the voting booth and to push for insecure but "safe" voting by mail/on-line.

( maybe it's just me, but... Trump uses trade to "pants" China and we then get "Virused", possibly opening the next Federal election to Chinese hackers)

Last Edited:
Seems to be a consensus among the knowledgeable that a vaccine for this corona virus is at least a year out, with an expected resurgence next winter when things go damp and cold. As far as developing a vaccine, there was never one discovered for malaria or aids... only prevention and treatment have reduced those diseases. We may be stuck with this for awhile...

Seems to be a consensus among the knowledgeable that a vaccine for this corona virus is at least a year out, with an expected resurgence next winter when things go damp and cold. As far as developing a vaccine, there was never one discovered for malaria or aids... only prevention and treatment have reduced those diseases. We may be stuck with this for awhile...
Yep.
At the front end of this they said that typically it takes 12-18 months to develop a vaccine.
Things will not get back to normal until an effective vaccine is widely available to the public.

I thought it would be interesting to have you post what you think life will be like after the CoronaVirus. Will the CV come around every year? Will there be deadlier virus' in the pipeline?

Some things to think about:
Public transportation (planes, trains, buses, and subways), will people realize that these are dangerous with regards to transmitting diseases?
Schools, will there be more virtual classes offered to students?
Jobs, will more employers embrace virtual, and realize that their employees who use computers can do their work remotely?
Sports, will they televise the events so that fans don't have to be jammed in like sardines in a stadium?
Concerts, same as sports? Charge fans to watch it on TV?
How many restaurants will survive?
Will we go back to the single use plastic bags?

What do you see in the future for us?

Thanks,
Ron
I think we have just seen what the future global flu seasons will look like. No more local flu seasons. One person gets somewhere in the world.... we'll all get it. Think of all this COVID stuff as a grand social experiment.

I think the biggest impacts will be to the healthcare system and to the Federal Reserve.

If you thought the number of people wanting universal health care was huge before, wait until we have 40 million people unemployed and kicked off their insurance over the next couple of weeks.

And the Federal Reserve has gone from simply providing emergency liquidity to getting the Federal Government knee deep in private equities. They are working overtime pumping TRILLIONS into the market and buying up high-risk assets they have never thought about touching before.
probably debatable.. but the federal reserve is going to destroy the US dollar. And I look for a debt jubilee. Just wipe it all away, or inflate it away -and start over. Never ends well for the common folks.

Hopefully the realization that China is not our friend, there are bad actors and it's high time we as a Nation bring manufacturing back home.
I'm not as smart as you are, and I have been saying that since I was 16. I'm 34 now.

Something else on my mind lately, around Christmas (I think) Kim Jong-un said something along the lines of striking the U.S. in a way, or maybe when, "they least expect it". Call me crazy, but right now would be an opportune moment to hit us if one were inclined.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top