JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
W.C. Fields was quoted as saying "There's some days when you have to grab the bull by the tail, lift it up and look the problem in the eye".

Each one of us has at least 1 search engine, some of us has 3 or 4 to cross reference a specific item that may have been missed.

So I typed in "Who owns Snopes.com?" the results were interesting to say the least

<broken link removed> HIGHLIGHTS BELOW TO SAVE YOU TIME

•CLAIM: Snopes.com is owned by 'a flaming liberal' with a partisan bias.
First off, it's clear that whoever wrote this piece made it up as they went along. Anyone who has spent even a few minutes browsing Snopes.com knows that the website is owned by two people, not one, husband and wife David and Barbara Mikkelson of southern California. This is stated on the website and has been common knowledge since the website's inception.

Second, the charge of partisanship is laid without evidence. At no time have the Mikkelsons publicly stated a political preference or affiliation, or expressed support for any particular party or candidate.

Moreover, Barbara Mikkelson is a Canadian citizen, and as such cannot vote in U.S. elections or contribute to political campaigns. In a statement provided to FactCheck.org, David Mikkelson said his "sole involvement in politics" is voting on election day. In 2000 he registered as a Republican, documents provided to FactCheck.org show, and in 2008 Mikkelson didn't declare a party affiliation at all. Says Mikkelson: "I've never joined a party, worked for a campaign, or donated money to a candidate" (source: FactCheck.org).

Anyone who claims proof to the contrary needs to come out with it.

•A NOTE ON GEORGE SOROS: A later variant of this rumor alleges, without evidence, that Snopes.com is owned and/or financed by liberal philanthropist and hedge fund tycoon George Soros. This is false. Snopes.com is entirely self-supporting through advertising sales.

Each time I've been confronted with this claim I've asked for evidence of any kind demonstrating a financial connection between Snopes and Soros. No one has ever provided it, much less a coherent argument as to why we should even suppose such a connection exists.

• CLAIM: Snopes.com is 'in the tank for Obama' and 'tells lies' about Republicans.
You'd think it would be easy for someone so blithely asserting that the owners of Snopes.com are "flaming liberals" to offer evidence that they're "in the tank" for Obama and "covering up" for him. None is provided.

As of this writing dozens of viral texts about Obama and his running mate have been analyzed on Snopes.com, each meticulously researched with copious references cited. I've perused them all, not to mention the dozens of rumors they've covered about Obama's Republican counterparts, and found no discernible pattern of bias or deception, nor any evidence of advocacy for or against any particular party or political persuasion. To the contrary, I see a consistent effort to provide even-handed analyses of texts which more often than not are themselves dripping with bias and acrimony.

That's my assessment as a longtime competitor of Snopes.com who has been called upon to investigate many of these same rumors and can boast a better-than-average familiarity with the subject matter. I invite you to make your own.

• CLAIM: TruthorFiction.com is less biased more reliable than Snopes.
Ironically, TruthorFiction.com has refuted these attacks against Snopes.com and, in point of fact, lauds the site as an "excellent" and "authoritative" resource.

A further irony is that when you compare the contents of the two sites their findings rarely diverge in any substantive way. Shouldn't we therefore conclude that TruthorFiction.com is just as biased as Snopes?

What snopes.com says about snopes.com snopes.com: About the people behind snopes.com

AND YET HAVING SAID THAT- there is some evidence from the United States Supreme Court that Snopes is indeed owned by Soros!!

<broken link removed>

AND YET, AND YET AND YET!!!!!! Wikipedia says its owned by the Mickklesons!!!!

Snopes.com - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line is, I don't think anyone know's who owns Snopes!!! Orders, counter orders, disorder,,,,,

I've read much of that before, thanks for posting it here. I still see no reason not to use Snopes as at least one decent source for checking the validity of certain claims. I would stand by what they said about your email.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top