Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lies and rumor control- BOLO

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by U201492, Feb 22, 2014.

1. U201492

U201492 Well-Known Member

Just received an email a few minutes ago from a Preachers wife who is sincere in her belief in the 2nd Amendment. She just forwarded an email titled "The Dick Act of 1909"

This email is 100% flat out wrong: snopes.com: Dick Act of 1902

Just PSA/FYI

Dunerunner and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

First, you should know, that George Soros pays the Bills at Snopes. I would not believe Snopes, if they provided the time of day. I would check with a second source.

As you did Not post what your EMAIL included, It is unfair to say "it is 100% wrong".
    I would be fascinated to see some factual evidence that supports your assertion
    So, I used ixquick.com, to query the question, and found twenty or thirty websites that spoke upon what is known as the Dick Act. This is from Wikipedia:

The Militia Act of 1903 (32 Stat. 775), also known as the Dick Act, was legislation which codified the circumstances under which the National Guard could be federalized. It also provided federal funds to the National Guard to pay for equipment and training, including annual summer encampments.

In return, the National Guard began to organize its units along the same lines as
    the regular Army, and took steps to meet the same training, education and readiness requirements as active duty units.

During the nineteenth century, the militia in each U.S. state and territory operated under the Militia Acts of 1792. Under these laws, the question of state versus federal control of the militia was unresolved.

As a result, the federal government could not rely on the militia for national defense. As an example, during the War of 1812, members of the New York Militia refused to take part in operations against the British in Canada, arguing that their only responsibility was to defend their home state.

In another instance, Martin Chittenden, the Governor of Vermont, unsuccessfully attempted to recall his state's militia from the defense of Plattsburgh, claiming that it was illegal for them to operate outside Vermont's borders.

Because the issue of state versus federal control was not resolved, the federal government resorted to the creation of "volunteer" units when it needed to expand the size of the Army. These volunteer units were not militia, nor were they part of the regular Army.

This solution was employed during the Mexican-American War, and in the Union Army during the American Civil War. During the Spanish-American War some volunteer units were organized, most notably the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, nicknamed "Rough Riders."

The federal government also mobilized several National Guard units which volunteered en masse.

Several issues with the National Guard became apparent as a result of the Spanish-American War experience, including low levels of individual and unit training and readiness; differences in organizational structure, uniforms and equipment; and lack of standardization in leader qualifications and professional development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Act_of_1903

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  3. U201492

Not wishing to bore people with reading the same email twice, the one listed in Snopes is word for word the email I received. Your article while in depth and interesting, does not address the fact that I was simply warning people the email was fake.

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

I've seen the email, in fact I've received it numerous times. It asserts that the Militia Act of 1903 invalidates every other gun bill passed by Congress and supports the 2A to the extent that civilian ownership of Military weaponry would be legal. It asserts that the Dick Act nullifies the NFA!

I wish it did!!

5. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

"First, you should know, that George Soros pays the Bills at Snopes. I would not believe Snopes, if they provided the time of day. I would check with a second source."

I would be fascinated to see some factual evidence that supports your assertion that 'George Soros pays the bills at Snopes.'

6. BoonDocks36

Believe it or not, I am not Your Research Assistant. The funding(s) that George Soros does, and the number of, shall we say Money Laundries that goes with it is immense.

You may have noticed that I spoke of IXQUICKdotCOM as my search engine (of choice), again you may or may Not find that interesting... I choose NOT to use google search due to their Anti-Patriotic & Ant-Christian attitude.

My research on George Soros, stands pat, for me: the websites I studied are vetted by being Conservative Oriented, as well as Christian Oriented, and 100% American Patriotic Pride.

Help yourself out. Oh, and if you Prove me Wrong, Why then
    philip

7. BoonDocks36

Dunerunner, Isn't that the Truth!!!! But the issue stands the Public Service Announcement, of Post #1 is not valid from several directions at the same time, all brought about by the Liberal Illogic of snopes(Soros)dotCom,

It is one facet of the work by Saul Alinski that few really understand, and why Several members here Repeat the ~villain's~ name, over and over...

Alinski taught that creating lies out of partial truths Discredits the whole Truth of the topic. Even if the Untruth, the Deception, is only 3, 5, 7, 10 percent, the remainder becomes tainted if not investigated, and shone the light. If a person lets the deception stand, then the Alinski trained folks take THAT deception, and addit to there newer agenda, where by more False hoods are presented.

Those that do not understand this process, present information ~they believe~ Is correct:

The Dick Act Exists. The twisting of What it Means, is Alinski in Action !!!! Though Saul is deceased (thank our Father in Heaven) his Teachings LIVE ON. Examples of most Prominent Alinski Students:

Hillary Rodham Clinton
    William Ayers
    Barry/Barrack Sotero/Obama

How do they relate to each other, Besides being directed students???

Hillary interned for Saul....

William Ayers Launched Obama's first political campaign, In His Living Room!!! (But there is more than that in relation to Saul A.)

Barry's claim to fame is being a Community Organizer, and guess what????

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saul_Alinsky That quote is the Leader on the page about S.A.)

Oh, my, that is ~shocking~ (not to me, I have been studying awhile now)

Back to our boy William Ayers. He left the SDS, created the Weathermen Underground, bombed America, murdered Police, and went deep cover. Was on the 10 most wanted list of the FBI. When he surfaced, it was as a Professor, in Chicago, and he and Barry were colleges!

But in True Alinski fashion, (never tell the truth when a Lie will do...) Both Obama & Ayers still profess simply aware in passing of each other. Damn the Truth, that doesn't Matter. (ask Hillary, about the Four Deaths in Bengazi, it doesn't MATTER)

OK, am I off the subject, the Topic? You tell me.

In Post #1 is, IMHO, an Alinski Lie, a Partial Truth, but Twisted, to be not Correct.

It is Corrected, now. Folks may not want to hear me, or taku, or a few others who Fight To Keep TRUTH in front, to OUT the Falsehoods. But it is What I do. I fight the Enemy, where Ever it is.

philip

rufus, JackThompson, Stomper and 3 others like this.
  8. U201492

People, all of you may be overlooking one simple fact:

KISS. Keep It Simple, Silly. You can reference, cross reference, consult astrologers, read pigeon entrails and throw a sheeps shoulder bone into a fire read the cracks to see how the pagan gods are thinking- but in the end, you're instead of determining if its a Figment of your Imagination, you turn it into a Pigment of everyone's Aggravation.

I posted it as a BOLO, not to be an depth debate if heading north then right 90 degree's is a right turn, when you could make 3 lefts would equal a right turn.

9. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

The proof is in the tasting of the pudding.

Do we or do we not have restrictive gun laws that have more or less survived various challenges (including SCOTUS) over the years?

If the Dick Act was what the email claimed, then it would have been used in those challenges and won. It apparently hasn't.

FWIW, I take a pretty absolute view of the Second Amendment and believe that if the courts really understood the purpose of the amendment and the philosophy/history behind it, 99% of our gun laws would not pass muster in court.

Unfortunately our courts seem to work primarily on a flawed understanding of the Constitution, personal rights, and give way too much priority to precedent and maintaining the status quo - otherwise we wouldn't have half the laws we do.

Sad but true.

10. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You may not be a research assistant, but you are the one making the claim. Traditionally, this means that you are the one that should be citing your sources and providing some kind of backup to your claims. I've hear this Soros claim before, and every time I ask the people that make the claim to provide some kind of proof or evidence, they get all worked up and tell me to look it up myself.

Until someone can find some real evidence of this and can actually present it in public, I'm going to have to continue to assume this is more rhetoric without any real substance. You can speak forcefully and make wild claims about conspiracy, but rarely does anyone actually back it up.

I'm not saying you're wrong, you may be right, but if you're going to make a claim, why not actually back it up? It would make your position much more believable.

11. 223to45

223to45 Whatcom Active Member

It is always low information voters that think George Soros is involved in everything.

Your the one that made the accretion, so it is your job to back it up.

SO what is your point?? I use IXQuick, Startpage, and DuckDuckGo .

12. BoonDocks36

Traditionally... I believe in the Constitution, as Written, including modified by legally passed Amendments.

Traditionally... I believe, that our first Ten Ammendments, were created to Limit government interference in individual lives.

Traditionally... When some one is teaching a topic, questions were asked by those listening, but the instructor always let the person questioning Find the Answer.

In this modern world, most people who do Not understand the BENIFITS of tne last, want answers Given to them.

being handed my completed ~thesis~ Would prove nothing to you. It would be giving you a lollipop, for asking a question. Reach Out,and do your Own Home Work. Write yourown thesis. You'll feel better for developing YOUR Education, on Your Own.

philip, who studied Calculus in High school, "independent math", as a senior, 1968. The teacher and I would fill up Two Chalkboards of equations.... Until the day.... That this Educated, Degreed, Certificated Educator, informed me that I had surpassed his knowledge of University level Calculus.... See what I am saying above, Not as a get out of performing to your requests, but goading you to do your own research, it Means More to you.

13. BoonDocks36

Had you followed KISS, you would have Verified your post, first ...

I humbly submit this information, for your data base, (KISS, in mind):

I am a Christian. Conservative in Politics. I do not consult any of the pagan devices you wrote of. I do not label those two items with hyphenations or extraneous terms. the third item is of pagan worship, it is not inline with my Christian Faith.

Your point of frustration should be internally examined, and strive to present Be On the Look Out & Public Service Announcements, with more discretion.

I have seen the same email, as has Dunerunner,and seen it for YEARS prior to your BOLO.

The resulting thread was an attempt to teach discrete use of your methods, which IMO was about like using
    YMMV,

I'll stand on my Ground, in reference to my posts in this thread.

philip

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  14. John H

John H Whatcom County Well-Known Member

Well this isn't school nor are you a instructor, so your argument doesn't apply.

People who answer like this normally don't have a answer, cause they pulled it out of there azz.

15. U201492

****Nothing wrong with that Phil

16. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Whenever someone brings up the 'Soros controls Snopes' nonsense, I always think of this scene and it makes me smile.

http://youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g

17. U201492

Burn Hillary and I'll buy some beer, hot dogs, buns, and a flame thrower,,,,,oh, and a few electronic matches. I'll need a supplier for a Hibatchi, and some seats, and a table but other than that I think we'd be good.

I still think Janet Reno is Chelsea's father.

18. etrain16

Why would I waste my time on a completely unfounded rumor. As I stated, no one who has made this claim has yet to provide any evidence for it. They just claim they 'know' because they've done their own 'research'. I don't waste my time on rumors and hearsay. That's why I'm asking you to back up your bold assertion. Speaking with emphasis and the use of bold and all CAPS does little to bolster your point. Rather it indicates to me that you probably don't have good information to back what you say.

I know how to do research and study. But I don't waste my time with wacko assertions that have no basis in fact. Want to correct that view of this rather irritating claim? Prove us all wrong. I'll be happy to read it. But we all know you're not going to do that, don't we?

And for the record, touting your own academic achievements, including out performing your professor in calculus has nothing to do with the topic. It's a red herring and should be above your purported academic grade.

19. U201492

Uh, this post was started by an unfounded rumor, then confirmed to be true by others so its not a "completely unfounded rumor".

Even if Snopes was funded by soros or whatever s/his name is- WHO CARES? Seriously? We're there for the data, not to debate political leanings or theory. The focus is on the truth or falseness

Back to the point- fake email, be aware of it, that's all this was about.

20. etrain16

Actually, I was responding to Boondocks claim, not yours. He chose to step in with a claim (unfounded rumor about Soros) he can't provide evidence for. I just called him on it because I get tired of hearing people make wild claims like that but can't back them up.

As for your original post, I have no problem with what you said if Snopes says it's a fake. I've used Snopes numerous times to prove something was true, false or internet rumor. Until someone can provide actual evidence that they are some kind of covert political outlet, I'll continue to use them.