JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking for an affordable safe too. Curious to see what others think.
The manual dial is the way to go. (What electronic gizmo can hold up to heat)Hard to beat a liberty! Contact the liberty guy in Hubbard. He may have a better price and he does deliver. I have the Fatman (1200lbs.) He has moved it twice for me.

Ended up with the Cabela's 30 gun Woodsman safe (Made by Liberty). I really like this thing. It holds all of my guns, ammo, accessories, and leaves room for for a small fireproof documents safe inside.
If you are a vet, let Cabela's know and you'll get a 5% discount. (saved me $60).
some people will want an electronic keypad, but I'm happy with the combination lock.
I had to use the moving company to get the 675 lb. thing delivered and inside. That set me back $315, but they were very quick and professional. I'm a happy camper.

View attachment 296327 View attachment 296328

Too much empty space in the safe.

Time to fill it up...

Consider this when you have your safe delivered. You're advertising to every potential thief in the vicinity.
Your insurance (unless you have a rider) will likely not cover more than $2,500.00 if they are stolen.
What to Look For in a Gun Safe Buying Guide - Gun Safe ...
Both the delivery person bringing the Sturdy brand safe and Kirk of Liberty Safe in Hubbard use trucks with no logos and can cozy right up to your garage door so no worry about sketchy individuals knowing you have something valuable to lock up.

Last Edited:
The manual dial is the way to go. (What electronic gizmo can hold up to heat)Hard to beat a liberty! Contact the liberty guy in Hubbard. He may have a better price and he does deliver. I have the Fatman (1200lbs.) He has moved it twice for me.

Thats where I bought mine from. Free delivery up to 50 miles. I could have bought it a bit cheaper elsewhere. But, they take $75 off the price if you haul it yourself so basically they are building a delivery fee into the price. The deliver in a unmarked truck and trailer and are very professional.

Both the delivery person bringing the Sturdy brand safe and Kevin of Liberty Safe in Hubbard use trucks with no logos and can cozy right up to your garage door so no worry about sketchy individuals knowing you have something valuable to lock up.
That was "key point" in my earlier reply. ;)

weaponseducation on youtube is a disaster, and a phony , trust me ive talked to the guy, known him for years

are you referring to the video? I don't think its weapon education, but safe and security education. like anything on the internet take it for what its worth.

I will say it is funny though - if someone asks a question someone usually responds back and says google is your friend and have you searched for it. if you do google it as was done here initially now the response is something different.

what an elliptical world we live in.

are you referring to the video? I don't think its weapon education, but safe and security education. like anything on the internet take it for what its worth.

I will say it is funny though - if someone asks a question someone usually responds back and says google is your friend and have you searched for it. if you do google it as was done here initially now the response is something different.

what an elliptical world we live in.
the guy doing the filming and interviewing , his youtube channel is weaponseducation , check it out,

A couple of good pieces of advice in here: get more space than you think you'll need and the best security of all is to not tell or show anybody you have a safe or any reason to put anything in one.

Most burglaries are a result of the disease called mouthus flappus.

I like the idea of having a safe, I do have one but here is the thing.... I don't think having a safe will ultimately matter unless you also have an alarm system.

Reason, give half decent thieves a little time and a gun safe is not going to matter unless it is a pretty kick butt safe made really well or very well hidden. That is, unless they are just smash and grab meth heads as many are.

Alarms can be complicated and need pro installation or simple and can be do it yourself projects and still work very well.

Up to you and what you can do or afford. Security cam systems now can function as DVR type recorders and as movement detecting alarm system too. That is how mine works.

I have many more $$ in tools in my garage then I have $$ in guns in the safe. I think my tools would function as a distraction to keep thieves from spending too much time trying to find my fairly well hidden gun safe.

That along with a few crappy bait guns I have setting in my closet will hopefully work to distract them long enough for the alarm to work and get the cops their in time.

Robert

Last Edited:
Good point. I have kids in the house so the safe was a must have. It's primary purpose is to make sure little hands don't gain access to guns.

I have also been giving some thought on how to hide a full size safe. Not sure I've figured out how to hide it...

Good point. I have kids in the house so the safe was a must have. It's primary purpose is to make sure little hands don't gain access to guns.

I have also been giving some thought on how to hide a full size safe. Not sure I've figured out how to hide it...

Grand kids are pretty much why I bit the bullet and bought a gun safe. Son said, grand kids are NOT coming for a visit unless your guns are in a safe place locked up. He went through the same problem, had to buy his own gun safe due to this, it all came from his lefty liberal dem wife, she is great but her politics, well, you know.

I'll describe my "hiding place" as it may be helpful to any of you in building your own.

My house is 2 story and the lower floor was a walk out basement style so one of the rooms that was at the back side up against the foundation, I built a false wall 40" out from the actual wall. It is solid wall on the left and the right side has a bi-fold door. The bi-fold part that opens is completely mounted on steel tracks top and bottom. It functions like a large bi-fold door. Push really hard in the center and it opens, it looks like a long narrow walk-in closet when the door is open and you look in. The gun safe is at the back end and is 36" wide so I can keep a bunch of other stuff back there also. Bad part of that is, the other stuff is setting in front of the gun safe as the gun safe is at the far left in back.

While installing the gun safe I added heavy wood framing around it so it is going to be very hard to remove unless that false wall gets removed first. I installed paneling in that room then painted it all so there are vertical paneling seems all around the room. It looks like an old style paneled room that has been painted.

Unless you know exactly where to "push" you will have a really hard time figuring out there is a false wall that opens. It is all spring loaded so the push needs to be more then 20 lbs and done "just right" or that bi-fold wall section does not budge. Once it opens, you have to work hard to get it all the way open due to the springs. My wife can hardly open it.

About 3 or 4 people could stand in there [unless it gets filled with stuff] so it could function as a hiding place during a home invasion also. I should probably put a lock on it that works from the inside only so if any one had to hide in there, they could lock it from the inside.

The bi-fold door is framed with 1.5" steel tube with a wood skin. I am a welder so rather then try to build it from wood and get it to work with precision, I went with a steel frame and 5/8 plywood skin, covered that with the paneling for looks. It is rock solid and runs on bearings top and bottom so it does not rattle and feel crappy like those cheap closet style bi-fold doors.

Grand kids probably would never find it or be able to open it but "just in case" the gun safe is in there and every one is happy.

So if any one is thinking about hiding a gun safe, think of it as adding a small closet with hidden entrance.

Robert

Last Edited:
I am considering buying a Liberty Woodsman safe and wanted to know what people think of this model/brand. I am considering the 25 long gun version with a dial lock. Price is 899. Good deal or should I consider something else?
I am considering buying a Liberty Woodsman safe and wanted to know what people think of this model/brand. I am considering the 25 long gun version with a dial lock. Price is 899. Good deal or should I consider something else?
It's a very good brand and all of it is made in the USA. I have a Woodsman. I almost bought the Bighorn safe from costco until I found out that it's not all made here and it has Formaldehyde inside which is bad for guns. Go figure.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top