JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I refuse to vote for any candidate for any position that has a D by their name until they drop GC as an OFFICIAL PARTY PLANK.

That's a personal stand I chose to take. Everyone has to make their own decisions based on their own values but if every gun owner did the same, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

CNN did an exit poll and 37 percent of Democrats said they owned guns in 2016. It's not a tiny group of Democrats who are gun owners and Second Amendment supporters.

1. Being a gun owner - whether liberal or conservative - doesn't necessarily mean that person supports the Second Amendment. Or even if they give lip service to supporting the Second Amendment it doesn't mean they aren't fine with adding more gun control. Even Michael Bloomberg gives lip service to "supporting the Second Amendment", and we know he wants more gun control.
  2. Michael Bloomberg, Hillary Clinton, Dianne Feinstein, etc. all say they "support the Second Amendment", but they clearly support "assault weapon" bans and other restrictions. Gabby Giffords and her husband Mark Kelly are gun owners and they say they "support the Second Amendment", but they obviously want more gun control.
    On January 8, 2011, Giffords was one of 19 victims in a mass shooting in Tucson, Arizona. She survived, but still has not fully regained her speech and limb control.

Since then, she and her husband have been pushing for stricter gun laws.

Kelly and his wife are both gun owners, and he said he's not against guns. What he is against is the ease of buying them.

"I'm a supporter of the Second Amendment but we can't be stupid about it," he said. "We allow felons, people who are dangerously mentally ill, dangerous people, suspected terrorists, we let them buy firearms with little to no restrictions."
    As you can see, someone saying they are a gun owner and they "support the Second Amendment" really means nothing. In the minds of gun controllers, they can be in favor of strict gun control and still "support the Second Amendment". In their minds as long as people are able to own some type of gun with strict controls and after jumping through a bunch of hoops the Second Amendment is still in effect.

I don't care if someone is liberal or conservative, or whether the own guns or not, or whether they say they "support the Second Amendment" or not. All I care about is do they support gun rights (which is more than being able to own one shotgun and one manual action rifle and one revolver), and do they oppose more gun control.

If someone is a liberal and they don't own guns and they oppose more gun control, they are on my side. If someone is a conservative and they own guns but they support more gun control they are not on my side.
  3. Liberals who own guns and say they support the Second Amendment have a special duty and responsibility and obligation to contact the liberal politicians they vote for to let them know of their support for gun rights and opposition to more gun control, and to educate and persuade their liberal relatives and friends to support gun rights. To help them do that they should share these articles with their liberal friends and relatives Why liberals should love the Second Amendment and Why US liberals are now buying guns too

Unfortunately, it is an uphill battle:

Democrats, 39 percent, do indeed want to repeal Second Amendment
    Forget former U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens and his eyebrow-raising call for a repeal of the Second Amendment.

Fully 21 percent of Americans think the same way. That's according to a poll taken back in February by the Economist/YouGov.

Founding Fathers warned that an uneducated citizenry would never be able to maintain a republic. Well, here we are.

The findings show just how skewed our collective understanding of the Constitution has become. Blame public schools, the progressive-minded in politics, and parents who fail to take seriously their responsibilities of training the next generation in the proper way to go.

The poll, reported in The Washington Post — in an opinion piece that slammed Stevens for presenting a view that was unhelpful to the gun control crowd, no less — showed this: A fifth of Americans supported a repeal of the Second Amendment. Only 8 percent of Republicans were on board with that — though perhaps the sentence should read, Good Lord, even 8 percent of supposed constitutionally minded Republicans saw a Second Amendment repeal as a sane idea.

And here's the skinny: 39 percent of Democrats supported repeal.

The big takeaway here is that Stevens is not an anomaly of the left. He's not out on this anti-Second Amendment cliff by himself.

It's a crowded ledge. And thanks to the failures of schools to properly teach the Constitution, and sadly, the failures of parents to pick up the slack and teach the same, that ledge is only going to grow more crowded as the years go by.

Fact is, the Second Amendment is based on the God-given right of an individual to protect him- or herself from harm. It's not a government grant.

It's a human right, and the Constitution simply supports and protects by law what's already afforded at birth.

The 39 percent of Democrats who can't see that — the 21 percent of Americans who are blind to that — are destroying more than a Bill of Rights. They're destroying the American concept of God-given.
    Democrats, 39 percent, do indeed want to repeal Second Amendment

Last Edited:
I can't think of a more important right than the Second Amendment. It should be a priority of every single voter that remotely cares about their rights, regardless of political affiliation, social views or stance on firearms. Without the 2nd, the ability to defend yourself, especially from a tyrannical govt, goes out the window. It helps keep all of the other rights intact. All you have to do is a little research on history to see that this is true.

The 2nd Amendment is the foundation of which all of our rights were built on. The only reason it's listed secondly and not first, is so we can use our 1st Amendment right to have a civilized conversation about it, before the going gets tough. I just wished that more people felt this way. Unfortunately, it will not be until other rights are eroded before we realize the folly of our ways...by then it will be too late.

Our forefathers hated the idea of parties as they felt it would divide us.

When it comes right down to it I have stood next to many at the gun range through the years smiling and trying their best to hit the target, talked to them, and politics never came up.

But we both had smiles on our faces, and shared that common bond, and that's all that mattered.

I actually know and work with some with vastly different political opinions to my own, and we get along.

I prefer not to know peoples politics. It makes life easier.

Then again, when I find out what one believes... its tough. Sure we can work together or otherwise coexist... but to know that they support my disarmament... they support the political violence in the streets, etc... or think I am a Nazi because I want secure borders and no more illegal immigration... or that I am some kind of religious zealot because I disagree with late term abortion or public funding of abortion.... I just dont want to be around them. So while we can be coworkers, we probably arent going to go get a beer after work, etc

Its great to know that while there are some gun owners out there who dont like gun control... its frustrating to know that they vote for people who will without hesitation disarm ALL of us.

How many of my fellow Washingtonians voted for Democrats in their State house/senate districts? Good for you. You will be proud to know that they have introduced a hicap magazine ban.... yup... its coming and you all know which political party introduced the bill and who will wholeheartedly support it.
So next time you are at the range you can thank your liberal friends for that.

nazi, homophobe, xenophobe are real words, libtard is something someone with an intellect of a kindergardener made up. When someone writes THAT word, I personally stop reading too because thats childish and dumb.

Sorry if I up set you but I do not find it any more comforting being called a "real word vs a slang word".

So when I hear the NRA are Nazis and yes I am a member and have been called this to my face because of it or when I may agree with someone on 95% of a subject but disagree with the 5% I am called the other names I too personally stop listening to someone or stop reading an article.

I am happy you're a liberal if that makes you happy because I am a Libertarian and this makes me happy and I do not want to be controlled by either side.

So have a great day.

I'm a member of the Liberal Gun Club but I don't consider myself a liberal. I vote against any kind of gun control 100% of the time. I joined because I try to support as many pro 2A groups as I can and I like to read as many sides of the argument as I can. But I do know several Liberals in the Portland area that are very Pro Gun and if there is a group out there like the LGC that will encourage more Liberals to feel comfortable shooting then great. In my experience most people that experience shooting sports end up liking guns. If the Liberals find a group they feel comfortable with and go to a range with then great. I'm happy to take any of them shooting any time and I'll buy the ammo.

I'm a member of the Liberal Gun Club but I don't consider myself a liberal. I vote against any kind of gun control 100% of the time. I joined because I try to support as many pro 2A groups as I can and I like to read as many sides of the argument as I can. But I do know several Liberals in the Portland area that are very Pro Gun and if there is a group out there like the LGC that will encourage more Liberals to feel comfortable shooting then great. In my experience most people that experience shooting sports end up liking guns. If the Liberals find a group they feel comfortable with and go to a range with then great. I'm happy to take any of them shooting any time and I'll buy the ammo.

That's why I'm in the midst of getting my Instructor Certification.
I've got plenty of ammo, but I'd be happy to go shooting with you.
I leave my politics at the range gate, and that seems to work out fine for everyone. Come to one of our Range Days too: the next one will have an OPB reporter attending that's doing a story on "non traditional gun owners" as well as some invited curious but
"I dunno guns are kinda scary" flavor of liberals who *will* be brought into the 2A loving family of converts. (Boohahaha!)

Oh I am not upset but here is a little rant. I try to not really identify with any political party but rather use my brain to weed out what I find okay and support and what not, that often times is all over the place and so how do you choose the right party then? I'm not an NRA member because of their history, but support their cause, its an inner conflict for me...if that makes sense. I'd rather support some other 2nd Amendment advocates but thats just me.

I am definately pro constitution and against taking any right away. For example, I am aginst banning guns but do think that there needs to be a system in place to weed out the "unfitting", now thats a double edged sword because where do you draw the line to be unfitting, where do you prove intend? Afterall its a constitutional right for everyone yeah, how does anyone figure tht crap out?

I had countless arguments with people who have never touched a gun, know nothing about it and just want to ban them all...AND THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT!!!! except someone shot one in a school!? And im like.. yeah, ban big spoons because they make you fat when eating icecream. Like how is my SKS with no pistol grip and fixed mag less deadly than an AR15 with a pistolgrip and a 10rd magazine? What has an expandable stock to do with that? A folder, if anything makes it less accurate so that should be a PLUS! I would almost say the 7.62 round is even deadlier than the 5.56? But 12ga slugs are okay? *shakehead* For me, its a hobby, like my classic car... I'd be just as upset if some "öko treehugger" wants to ban classic cars... well they are deadly too if steered by an incompetent idiot I guess. Or banning electric guitars because the amps cause 3 fires a year and burn down a house. People have a hard time accepting that bubblegum just happens sometimes and we can't prevent it but rather accept that this is the way it is now.

Its the extremes and the ignorant and uninformed that I have issues with, on any topic. Banning magazines, banning 80% lowers, having to have them serialized, registered and what not.. any criminal thinks "oh im building a gun but have to get it registered and serialized before I murder someone". Who comes up with that logic??? Those are the best and brightest people the country has to offer??? Because those laws only apply to people who dont do anything wrong in the firstplace!? Then goodnight. I maybe can go along with a mandatory safety training before being able to purchase a gun, nobody complains about that with a drivers license either and everyone does it... truly believe that that would decrease accidents. It's scary to sometimes see how people run around at the range with the fingers on the trigger or whatnot, that takes the fun out of it for me.

And if we scratch on immigration, that lies sooo much deeper that just securing the border, for example, I am an immigrant, jumped to the hoops, paid my fees and am happily married to an amazing American woman. However, there is a problem in the system that someone, regardless of which country they come from, has no chance, I mean 0 chance, to just legally come here and be here and work and be part of a better life than what they expierience in their country, there is no visa or case in the current immigration system that allows that, so what do they do, they come here illegally.

And Im sorry, i dont call people Nazis (I'm German, so go figure) lightly but if you are okay with people being put in cages, kids dying in captivity IN THE MODERN WESTERN WORLD. Then you dont belong to my camp of being a decent human being, or a good christian or whatever you might think you are. "you" as in unspecefied anyone.

I'd like to think that I like anyone being threated the way I would like to be treated, and I have been on the receiving end with the Border Agents where I had to throw attitude at them to make them understand ( I was in the US for 90days then home for 3mo and then back for another 80someting days over thanksgiving, now that is 100% legal, I could have come back the same day I landed backhome in Germany and it should have been fine). And there was nothing illegal involved at all (in their heads they though they had a big fish, illegally wants to get married, illegally wants to work, violating the visa free program, probably a drug mule too), but I am a god damn person and they have no right to treat someone like a piece of crap just because you are too dumb and uninformed to know that every other country gets more vacation time than people in the US or how their own laws are. They didnt understand that as a uniersity student I could just take time off wheneer and it would just add towards the end. I straight out laughed at them when I cought up on what they where insinuating, they let me in afterall and I went through the instances to file all kinds of complaints.

An American would be just as upset traveling to some other country and being treated with this pure disrespect.

I too have become sick of the tribalism and radicalism that we see everywhere, hate and anger from all sides. If someone wants to actually support freedom and try to build some bridges then more power to them.

I've become much more libertarian as I get older, and by that I just mean "to each their own". We might agree on a lot of stuff, probably disagree on a lot, but as long as we don't tell each other how to live our lives we just might get along fine. Everyone has their own opinion. Everyone is quite certain that they are right. Everyone is just as likely wrong, on one thing or another. One thing I've learned in my life: beware the smug, self-righteous individual who has it all figured out. As humans we all have an incredible ability to truly believe whatever we really want to believe. Those smug, self-righteous folks are not the type I want to be around at all.

Yes, those on the right here can and do sometimes say inflammatory things that set the lefties off, but I find it amusing that those on the other side of the spectrum just can't help themselves either:

We need candidates who aren't misogynistic wastrels beholden to foreign powers

This is as correct an assumption as saying all conservatives vote for autocratic candidates beholding to the Christian Taliban and corporate money interests.

Misogynistic wastrels, and Christian Taliban? How terribly clever.

Last Edited:
I too have become sick of the tribalism and radicalism that we see everywhere, hate and anger from all sides. If someone wants to actually support freedom and try to build some bridges then more power to them.

I've become much more libertarian as I get older, and by that I just mean "to each their own". We might agree on a lot of stuff, probably disagree on a lot, but as long as we don't tell each other how to live our lives we just might get along fine. Everyone has their own opinion. Everyone is quite certain that they are right. Everyone is just as likely wrong, on one thing or another. One thing I've learned in my life: beware the smug, self-righteous individual who has it all figured out. As humans we all have an incredible ability to truly believe whatever we really want to believe. Those smug, self-righteous folks are not the type I want to be around at all.

Yes, those on the right here can and do sometimes say inflammatory things that set the lefties off, but I find it amusing that those on the other side of the spectrum just can't help themselves either:
Amen brother.

I have another one on working hard and become wealthy. So... how do you tell your boss that you need a $10/h raise to to catch up with the $400/mo rent increase? exactly, you get fired, homeless in 72h. Goodbye.

While some people up there could feed a million people and still be stinking rich. and they arent stinking rich because they worked hard but rather because they bribed politicans, got tax breaks, tax evasion, screwed over the unfortunate. Other struggle every god damn day to cook one warm meal for their kids a day, me included. So yeah, a basic help from the government IS necessary. They blow out so much money on war and other bubblegum but wont put Americans first. If we wouldn't pay taxes, I would not expect help from the government but I see it as, they steal my money, which takes food out of my kids mouth and then say "scew you". Now, I am a stay at home dad while my wife has a job she likes. I am home because I do the runarounds to therapists and doctors with 3 teenagers. the daughter suicidal, the two brothers are disabeled and dont know where they belong. I stay home with them to teach them how to be people. And to make up for what their other Trans parent effed up in early childhood. "your daddy is dead now, I'm your second mommy now" Anyone who thinks I dont work hard is welcome to trade with me for just 2 weeks, you'd be surprised.

Last Edited:
Can we bring the conversation back around to The Liberal Gun Club / Firearms or more in line with the OP's topic post...?

These types of threads tend to go far more into politics ( as a divisive issue ) and a Us versus Them "broken record" , then a useful discussion.
Thank you.
Andy

I was going to make a comment but I couldn't even read all the way through the thread because of all the crap statements. Too many people are stuck on labels and how they just can't be for protecting gun rights if they have that certain "label". It's just plain stupid to alienate people like that... just like the NRA did with their stupid attitude of not giving an inch on gun rights no matter that any sane person could see that change was needed. You can tell it wasn't the NRA that won that battle and we are all paying for the loss.

Mike

My experience at that group, was as a Middle Right of the road Conservative.
( Meaning I own a Confederate Flag, but only fly it for special occasions :p )
Digress, the group...
Was very bad, and what they claim in their by laws is not true.
They want to be part of the gun community, but slowly talk about common sense
laws. I would say they are only slightly to the right of CeaseFire Oregon, and far left from middle.

No disrespect to the OP. But Not what they appear or claim in their site policies.
Personally, I was insulted, chastised and ridiculed, for simply saying I was a conservative gun owner. I saw zero tolerance.
But to each their own, I tried that rabbit hole and found a snake in it.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
LGBTQ? Hetero? Socialist? Conservative? Libertarian? Male? Female? Zeemale? White? Black? Brown? Yellow? Red? Short? Tall? Fat (most likely if you're American)? Rich? Poor? Middle class? Lazy? Industrious? Christian? Muslim? Scientologist? Buddhist? Atheist? Occultist? Citizen? Alien (legal or not)? Military veteran? Slack-jawed pansy? Land owner? Renter? Squatter?

NONE of it matters, you're ALL (including me) just proles, you're meat, you're ALL a commodity to be used, milked, and bilked. For your ENTIRE LIVES your (supposed) personal opinions and convictions have been assigned and force-fed to you (directly and indirectly) by a manipulated mass media that's controlled by international corporations (which include ALL the "churches" of ALL the faiths) who have no national or community loyalties, who are the true power behind the corporate kleptocracy we all call... "government".

My experience in Big Green showed me that under fire in foxholes there aren't "labels", just fellow Americans.

Wake up, the time is drawing close. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR