JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
With the avalanche of new gun control proposals coming 2019 Firearms Legislation - Oregon Firearms Federation it's time for our friends in the Liberal Gun Club to step up to the plate, contact the politicians that they helped put into office, and tell them as liberals and people who supported those politicians and voted for them that they oppose these new bills. Politicians are more likely to listen to people who voted for them than to those who didn't vote for them.

When a vote is cast to place a politician into power and that politician has made it clear that they plan on attacking you and the things you hold dear, that vote was cast for swift extinction. To wit: SB501. There is no wiggle room. I hope I didn't offend anybody.

Skipping to the end. My first thoughts are to the Liberal Gun club: welcome! Now how can you help us convince your fellow, gun-control loving cousins we are not the monsters they stereotype us to be?

With the avalanche of new gun control proposals coming 2019 Firearms Legislation - Oregon Firearms Federation it's time for our friends in the Liberal Gun Club to step up to the plate, contact the politicians that they helped put into office, and tell them as liberals and people who supported those politicians and voted for them that they oppose these new bills. Politicians are more likely to listen to people who voted for them than to those who didn't vote for them.
Speaking for myself and others I know of in the Oregon LGC, we regularly give our representatives across the board our individual views of restrictive, half-baked, ill-conceived and just plain bad gun legislation. It's likely that we will be submitting correspondence as a group as things come up in the legislature.

Personally, I oppose restrictions on magazine limits, ammo purchase limits, and bans of any sort. I agree with you that Dem reps ought to listen to us, and ought not take our votes for granted. My take is that they should be more afraid of losing a reliable vote than working to get an unlikely one. It's a matter of numbers though- we need ALL of us gun owners to be sounding off.

At what point will you actually stop voting for them?
I've been voting for some decades now and I have yet to meet the perfect candidate or representative.

I vote my conscience, or I don't vote. I think most Dems are wrong on guns, and I make opportunities to tell them so. (and I think so-called progressives or liberals are wrong when they want to go around banning things, whether it's soda or AR-15s because that's an authoritarian move, not a liberal one. But that's another issue...) Why would I vote for anyone who's wrong on guns? Because I'm not a single-issue voter; I'm not going to vote for anyone if I'm opposed to 95% of their platform for the sake of the 5%. For a lot of conservative voters, very little is given up voting for conservative candidates who are also pro-2A. That's not the case for the liberal gun-owner: to vote pro-2A, we'd be looking down a long list of a whole lot we don't agree with... and that's tough.

I long for the day I can vote for a pro-2A candidate. Meantime, I'll be happy if I can find one who will at least be neutral and let it be. For the rest, I do my best to persuade them that putting forth restrictionist legislation isn't just wrong-headed- it's ineffective, to boot.

Speaking for myself and others I know of in the Oregon LGC, we regularly give our representatives across the board our individual views of restrictive, half-baked, ill-conceived and just plain bad gun legislation. It's likely that we will be submitting correspondence as a group as things come up in the legislature.

Personally, I oppose restrictions on magazine limits, ammo purchase limits, and bans of any sort. I agree with you that Dem reps ought to listen to us, and ought not take our votes for granted. My take is that they should be more afraid of losing a reliable vote than working to get an unlikely one. It's a matter of numbers though- we need ALL of us gun owners to be sounding off.

The problem is "sounding off" is good. Problem is it means absolutely NOTHING to the left leaning people in power. People who are elected only fear one thing, losing. If people vote them in, they do what they want. People can write a mountain of letters. If they vote them back in why would they care about the letters??

I've been voting for some decades now and I have yet to meet the perfect candidate or representative.

I vote my conscience, or I don't vote. I think most Dems are wrong on guns, and I make opportunities to tell them so. (and I think so-called progressives or liberals are wrong when they want to go around banning things, whether it's soda or AR-15s because that's an authoritarian move, not a liberal one. But that's another issue...) Why would I vote for anyone who's wrong on guns? Because I'm not a single-issue voter; I'm not going to vote for anyone if I'm opposed to 95% of their platform for the sake of the 5%. For a lot of conservative voters, very little is given up voting for conservative candidates who are also pro-2A. That's not the case for the liberal gun-owner: to vote pro-2A, we'd be looking down a long list of a whole lot we don't agree with... and that's tough.

I long for the day I can vote for a pro-2A candidate. Meantime, I'll be happy if I can find one who will at least be neutral and let it be. For the rest, I do my best to persuade them that putting forth restrictionist legislation isn't just wrong-headed- it's ineffective, to boot.

So the 2A is a hobby and dispensable as long as you get entitlements, or whatever. Got it.

Skipping to the end. My first thoughts are to the Liberal Gun club: welcome! Now how can you help us convince your fellow, gun-control loving cousins we are not the monsters they stereotype us to be?
LGC, step up or shut up. YOU helped elect these bastards, YOU need to keep the leash on them.

We're trying! Frustrates us just as much - if not more - as it does you. Lots of liberals in the city have become alienated from firearms; we do what we can to bring them into the fold, usually through a range day. I've been ostracized by some on the left who just think guns R evil, and that's too bad; I've had more success with others, though, who've come around.

Politicians? What can I tell you. We fight the good fight and make a point of letting them know that our votes can't be taken for granted. We do our part in showing what it means to be responsible gun owners, pointing out the folly and ineffectiveness of bans, preaching that guns are a normal thing that normal people do, and that it's a civil right just like all the others in the BoR.

So the 2A is a hobby and dispensable as long as you get entitlements, or whatever. Got it.
Entitlements? Like the stuff I pay taxes for? I work, brother. I don't know where you come off assuming I think the 2A is dispensable (it's not) or that it's a hobby (it's not). Too bad you've got the wrong impression here.

Entitlements? Like the stuff I pay taxes for? I work, brother. I don't know where you come off assuming I think the 2A is dispensable (it's not) or that it's a hobby (it's not). Too bad you've got the wrong impression here.

Sorry, I just can't wrap my mind around someone who supposedly cherishes the 2A as an essential right, yet votes for candidates who run on a platform of gutting it, and refuses to commit to stop. See my confusion?

The only explanation is that it's not as important as the other issues but this isn't Northwest entitlements, or Northwest abortion rights, its Northwest Firearms.

Sorry, I just can't wrap my mind around someone who supposedly cherishes the 2A as an essential right, yet votes for candidates who run on a platform of gutting it, and refuses to commit to stop. See my confusion?

The only explanation is that it's not as important as the other issues but this isn't Northwest entitlements, or Northwest abortion rights, its Northwest Firearms.
I'm here for the guns, same as anyone.

A lot of ASSumption going on as to who I vote for. I'm continually told here that If I don't swallow the R line I must be eating at the D trough and I'm damned tired of that line of fetid offal. I don't need to justify my votes or non-votes to anyone as is my right as an American. I have NO party as is my right to choose or not choose. Bring on an R like Tom McCall and I'll vote for them. EOS

Last Edited:
12 pages here...
Lots of name calling and many examples of being "less than excellent to each other".
I truly wish we could have a thread that would encourage actual discussion , without all the :
Vitriol...
"Us versus Them"...
Name calling...
Stereotyping...
Broad blanket statements...
"My guy is better than your guy"...
"Finger pointing"...
Accusations...
Much of this thread has all the "meaningful substance" :rolleyes: ( sarcasm ) of the playground squabbles I intervene on while teaching at my grade school.
Thread is closed.
Andy

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR