JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
My Time Shooting With the Liberal Gun Club

I know that we are trying to keep political discussion out of here. We don't all think alike, and I've seen some real descent folks stop posting here because of the things they read. None of us really want that to happen. I thought that this was a worthy read for all of us. As Americans, we are more alike than we are different.

"There really are liberals who support the Second Amendment," said Smith, the gun club's spokesperson. "We're out here talking to people so they know the Second Amendment shouldn't be just for one side of the political spectrum. There are people on both sides. CNN did an exit poll and 37 percent of Democrats said they owned guns in 2016. It's not a tiny group of Democrats who are gun owners and Second Amendment supporters. It's millions and millions of people, and we're leaving those people out of the conversation to assume that it's only conservatives that want this.""

Interesting points.
"The club also serves as an escape from some less-than-tolerant anti-gun left-wingers. Pattie, Sean, and Keith all said they'd faced more backlash from the average liberal who found out they owned guns than from gun owners who found out they were liberals. In Pattie's case, she said gun owners tended to be far more tolerant of her being gay than liberals are of her being a gun owner."

I also like their "root-cause" angle.

But the question I have is...who do they vote for?

There in lies the problem. I hate to wade into the cesspool of politics, but it comes down to who you vote for and why.

You can be a liberal gun owner. You can say you enjoy it and love shooting. But at the end of the day, the value you place on that right is obvious with who you vote for.

At the end of the day, almost all of the liberal gun owners love their guns, but they don't value the right of gun ownership enough to place the preservation of the second amendment near the top of the list of what to look for in a candidate. Liberals still overwhelmingly vote for democrats. And last time I checked, their platform still includes gun and magazine bans, expanding background checks, etc.

I hate to crap on any groups who claim to love guns and value their ownership, but how sincere is that value when you vote overwhelmingly for a party who's own platform advocates bans and other positions proven to have little effect.

Of course there's always republicans who voted for a NYC "republican" who just banned bump stocks.

Politics and who to vote for is complicated. Where you place priority on certain items makes it even more so. I don't envy liberal gun owners who have to choose between their liberal social values and their right to own guns. I also don't envy republicans who were left with a big city populist who banned a firearm part the moment it became politically expedient to do so.

Liberal G.C.?

Made up of fudds.

You bet we liberals like to deer, duck, pheasant hunt, and so on, but defend myself with a gun, nah, that's what the police are there for 20 minutes after the first 5 seconds you were almost mugged but stopped it in it's track because you unholstered your Glock or Smith and Wesson, or Ruger or....

Liberal gun club is a weak tea attempt to sound like normals.

I don't buy it.

"I was on some of the online gun forums, and I got really tired of the hate and vitriol being spewed towards people of my political persuasion. Being called a libtard. Seeing things like 'Obama's a secret Muslim.' Just asinine stuff," he said. "So, that's what kind of pushed me to start Googling around for a liberal, progressive gun club. It happened to be one of the first ones that popped up. I found it to be a very welcoming community."

So how is this different from being called a Nazi, racist, homophobe or xenophobe both side need to cool it on some of the rhetoric and I include myself in this statement.

But I agree with notazombie who do they vote for. In this day and age there does not seem to be a pro gun liberal candidate anywhere.

Normally I am not a one topic voter I have always wanted a candidate who would do the most for the country but it seems that last few years it has come down to one topic "DO YOU SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT."

If it's membership really supported the Constitution....
....wouldn't they be just "Gun Club"? Wouldn't they allow people from all political beliefs to join?

I have the feeling that this "Liberal Gun Club" exists simply to be used to lend their name to support of some future ballot initiative, to make it seem as if "gun owners support initiative xyz123".

:rolleyes: I'll believe that these folks actually support the Constitution when they end segregation at their Club, and accept all people as equal. :rolleyes:

I honestly don't think I have ever got into a political discussion about anything but gun laws, gun use, self-defense, and guns, at the club or range...ever.
"Hey Bob, what's your stance on abortion?", never seems to come up.

Last Edited:
I guess I need to go back and read the link again, it's possible I missed any mention of guns used for self defense, with the exception of one gay woman hinting see wanted to be armed for self protection, I saw no other claim to own guns for self defense.

Why is that?

Guns for hunting and competition sure, but almost no mention for self defense.

Because liberal gun owners are still dependent on the late arriving police.

Not a knock on Law Enforcement. Just the recognition they can't be everywhere or perhaps anywhere quickly enough to save anyones bacon. That's really up to you....But, the L.B.C. mentions little if any gun use in that direction. Plus, they'd all (most likely) be fine if they could only have a magazine limit of 10 and caliber no bigger than .22 caliber if their overlords deemed it so.

The author founded a paper (I guess) with the word 'free' in the title. uh-huh...

"I was on some of the online gun forums, and I got really tired of the hate and vitriol being spewed towards people of my political persuasion. Being called a libtard. Seeing things like 'Obama's a secret Muslim.' Just asinine stuff," he said. "So, that's what kind of pushed me to start Googling around for a liberal, progressive gun club. It happened to be one of the first ones that popped up. I found it to be a very welcoming community."

So how is this different from being called a Nazi, racist, homophobe or xenophobe both side need to cool it on some of the rhetoric and I include myself in this statement.

But I agree with notazombie who do they vote for. In this day and age there does not seem to be a pro gun liberal candidate anywhere.

Normally I am not a one topic voter I have always wanted a candidate who would do the most for the country but it seems that last few years it has come down to one topic "DO YOU SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT."

Exactly

I have a liberal gun owning friend...

He and his wife both voted for 1639:oops:
I'm a supporting member of the LGC and both my wife and I voted against 1639. Doing what we can to maintain human rights AND our Constitutional rights. Having to choose between the two is unacceptable to me and so I vote where it will do the most good for both causes. Unfortunately it seems the divide is getting wider as both sides dig in their heels. That's where I think a left-of-center org like the LGC can help bridge the gap. Neither side is getting anywhere voting for single-issue candidates who screw us all in every way anyhow, so why dig trenches? We need candidates who aren't misogynistic wastrels beholden to foreign powers nor do we need screech owls howling about saving the chillins by taking the scary sharp black sticks away from Citizens.

YOU CAN'T SUPPORT THE SECOND AMMENDMENT AND VOTE FOR THOSE THAT OPPOSE IT! I do not understand how anyone can fail to understand this. Maybe it's only registered Democrats that could be armed in their perfect world.

Name calling..
Insulting remarks..
The picking and choosing of "facts" , just to present one side...
Thinking in or of stereotypes when commenting about a group..
General blanket statements...
"Do as I say , not as I do" , type of thinking..
"Group think"...
All of the above are not limited to or overused by just one group.

Just as a reminder before we get there :
Lets all remember Rule Number One in this thread and please attack the position , not the forum member , when responding.
Andy

I'm a supporting member of the LGC and both my wife and I voted against 1639. Doing what we can to maintain human rights AND our Constitutional rights. Having to choose between the two is unacceptable to me and so I vote where it will do the most good for both causes. Unfortunately it seems the divide is getting wider as both sides dig in their heels. That's where I think a left-of-center org like the LGC can help bridge the gap. Neither side is getting anywhere voting for single-issue candidates who screw us all in every way anyhow, so why dig trenches? We need candidates who aren't misogynistic wastrels beholden to foreign powers nor do we need screech owls howling about saving the chillins by taking the scary sharp black sticks away from Citizens.
Well said and as I've said before the 80% in the Center Right/ Center Left can talk, and should do it more often. Unfortunately the 8-10% on the extreme Right/Left always get the attention...Sadly.

YOU CAN'T SUPPORT THE SECOND AMMENDMENT AND VOTE FOR THOSE THAT OPPOSE IT! I do not understand how anyone can fail to understand this. Maybe it's only registered Democrats that could be armed in their perfect world.

This all explains why we in Oregon ended up with anti leaders .It hard to fathom any firearms owner that would vote for a person that would restrict or take away their 2nd amendment rights And or laws that are baseless and rediculess.

Perhaps, having been in the military for quite some time, I'm not namby/pamby and squishy about things about which I have a passion.

Sure, sometimes I go along to get along, more often than not actually, but sometimes I won't agree to go along to get along when it comes to a few things.

I know, that scares some gentle, sensitive people...toughen up because one day you may depend on saving your family or your own life because sensitively/gently discussing how to go about it may not work...

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads