JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my quest to find the ultimate in reliability, comfort, fuel econ, and have the wife be proud to take to Nordstroms, I have been guided by several people to the Lexus LS400.

1991-1992 ish model.

I have always avoided Lexus cars, snorting "They are just a Toyota with fancy leather"

People have been pointing out the reliability issue and the 20-24 mpg with a V8 in a large family sized car.

Anyone have experience with this particular model?

They seem pretty nice for a $3,500 used car.

I have a 1998 Lexus LS400 with almost 200k on the clock. Runs great and I average 23-24mpg consistently between Newberg and Clackamas everyday. Yes it is a Toyota, but I have never had any major problems with the car. I maintain it regularly and she takes good care of us... :s0155:

Now I wouldnt go with an LS in the early 90's just due to the fact you will have a hard time finding one that has not been trashed or abused. You should be able to pick up a late 90's in great shape for around $5000 with navigation and other goodies as well...

Good Luck...

They are excellent cars. I had a friend that had three over the years, were company purchased so she could get a new one every 3-4 years and did. One was sold to one of the managers in the company that I worked for and had 350,000 on the clock and ran great.

I had a ES 300 that I loved, bought it used for 7K ran it for 5 years and never put a dime into it. Sold it last year for 4K. One of the best cars I have ever owned.

I bought a new Hyundai Elantra that gets well over 30+ mpg. Hope it holds up as well.

You cannot, CANNOT compare the old Lexus models to to the new, they are vastly different in every way.

The old Lexus LS (LS400, specifically) was so good because it was copied from a W140 S Sedan. I forget the details now, but it had something to do with importing a W140 in pieces and engineering around that or something...

Regardless, I do like the new Lexus line, and feel they have done well for themselves in the past 8 years or so since they've been releasing these new designs not based on any standard Toyota chassis.

...Just check your ECU and make sure it won't kill you, as I'm still convinced the gas pedal isn't the issue, just like how the floor mats were not.

Seriously, though, I don't think you should even worry about that. Great car, might I recommend a BMW E39 530i?
Great balance between economy and power, with all the high-end refinements at a bargain price. All of the issues that come up on any car have already been documented, so you'll have quite a reliable, predictable vehicle.
http://www.epitom3.com/pics/10-14-07/IMG_1462.jpg

I had an LS400, very comfortable ride and responsive steering, but downsized to an IS300 which is the perfect car for everyday use, heck even has flip up navigation.

Good ones are good, bad ones are bad.
maintenance and care goes a long way.
There are a few modles that are "toyotas with fancy leather".
there is no toyota version of the LS, the GS sedans, the IS, SC (sc is closest to supra) ec, in the U.S.
LS are NICE.
smooth, plenty of power, reliable drivetrain, etc.
If something happens to my cressida, I'll likely replace it with an LS

I had a 91 but sold it to a friend with slightly over 100K on it about a year ago.
They are great cars and get great mileage. They are very comfy to drive and very reliable. The only thing to really look for is the power steering pump, which tends to go out on these cars at around a 100K miles. The early one's were basically overengineered and are the most reliable becuase this was Toyota's first attempt to go for the same market that Mercedes sells to. Some may disagree but I did ton's of research before I bought mine.

I don't know, but I have talked with people at Toyota dealership who told me the newer Toyota Highlanders outperform the Lexus SUVs. Seeing that they sell both, I couldn't call it too biased of an opinion. Personally, I find the Highlanders look a bit smoother/stylish on the outside then the Lexus SUV, as well. I am perfectly happy being a Toyota owner. But then again, I don't realy need people to give me special treatment when going to Nordstroms. If that is what you are looking for, perhaps you should consider going the Mercedes and BMW routes, because IMO, Lexus luxury sedans just looks too much like a Toyota Camry. Sure, the inside may be prettier, but how many people will see the inside of your car?? I would put my trust in a Toyota over any other car. My stupid Subaru and my long list of Fords blew up on me before they even hit the 100k mark and I don't even do a lot of heavy or long distance driving.

I don't know, but I have talked with people at Toyota dealership who told me the newer Toyota Highlanders outperform the Lexus SUVs. Seeing that they sell both, I couldn't call it too biased of an opinion. Personally, I find the Highlanders look a bit smoother/stylish on the outside then the Lexus SUV, as well. I am perfectly happy being a Toyota owner. But then again, I don't realy need people to give me special treatment when going to Nordstroms. If that is what you are looking for, perhaps you should consider going the Mercedes and BMW routes, because IMO, Lexus luxury sedans just looks too much like a Toyota Camry. Sure, the inside may be prettier, but how many people will see the inside of your car?? I would put my trust in a Toyota over any other car. My stupid Subaru and my long list of Fords blew up on me before they even hit the 100k mark and I don't even do a lot of heavy or long distance driving.

The LS400 isn't modeled after the Camry. You are thinking of another Lexus model.

I already have a Mercedes. Blew the transmission.

The Nordstroms part was a joke.:s0155:

The LS400 looks nice.. Still for the awe effect, nothing sticks out more than a Mercedes or BMW, IMO.. If I was to own a luxury car, one I can depend on, I think Lexus is a great choice. Still, I doubt I'd ever go with anything other than a Toyota; at least for now. I did have a Cadillac, once upon a time. I don't even want to tell you how many problems I had and how expensive it is to get parts and fix one of those things.

my mom gopt a 98" LS400 with 70,000 miles on it from the original owner for 4grand nicest car she has owned. on the other hand Cocatialer i have a 96' Camry with 120,000 miles on it we (girl and i) have been thinkin about selling. jus got new tires and an alignment

Sbwool

I have a 1991 Lexus ls400 right now that needs a water pump. LOL. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and was driving it home from up by Portland went the water pump went out. Just my luck!

Here is what my initial impression of the car leaving out the water pump issue that can happen to anything. It is extremely comfortable. It is very quiet and has the quality feel that BMW's and Mercedes have. The handling and suspension is great. I was hugely impressed with the power it puts out. Another thing that amazed me is the features it had for the year. I couldn't even begin to list all of the crap that it has. The multiple keys that automatically adjust the driver settings was among the things that I was surprised with.

If it doesn't sell this weekend I am probably going to tear into it and fix it. Just not really looking forward to it. lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top