JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- The top law enforcers of Lewis County are making bold statements regarding the recently enacted gun background check Initiative 594. The sheriff-elect and the prosecutor put out a public letter saying they're not going to make average citizens into criminals.

The new law stemming from I-594 is just 12 days old and already stirring up controversy. The initiative passed by nearly 60 percent of Washington voters requires background checks for private transactions of guns whether at gun shows, online or in person.

Last weekend, the state patrol estimated 1,000 people gathered at the state Capitol for an "I will not comply" rally.

Now a public letter has gone out from sheriff-elect Rob Snaza and prosecutor Jonathan Meyer of Lewis County saying they won't be going out and prosecuting people who inadvertently violate the background check law.

"We wanted to make sure that the citizens of Lewis County knew that we weren't looking to make criminals out of ordinary citizens," Meyer said.

Meyer and Snaza are the first elected officials to come out publicly saying I-594 is too over-reaching. They put this message out because they feel there's too much confusion about I-594 and they want to make it clear about what they'll do and what they won't do.

"'We're not going to try to trap citizens into transferring a gun to a friend and then try to nab them on a violation of 594," Meyer said. "That's not what we're interested in."

People who voted against the initiative say they like what they're hearing. Plus, they believe the enforcement would be too costly.

"And to go out of their way to find people, it's going to be costing taxpayers more money," said Centralia resident Leonard Hoffman.

But the authors of I-594 say the Lewis County officials are living up to the intent, but overreacting.

"It sounds to me like his is going to be doing what his legal responsibility is," said Sandy Brown of the Center for Gun Responsibility. "So we don't really understand why he's using such flagrantly and flamboyantly incorrect language about the intention of 594."

Those who voted for initiative want it enforced.

"I just want to feel safe in my neighborhood," said Centralia resident Romney Griffith.

But nothing has happened so far -- no arrests have been reported anywhere for violating I-594.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Lewis County is not a lock-step place. I very much admire their independent thinking and outspoken stance here.

Time and again we are seeing the pro-594 bunch yapping about their "intent" in an effort to try to cover for an idiotically constructed POS that they've created.

<broken link removed>

CHEHALIS, Wash. -- The top law enforcers of Lewis County are making bold statements regarding the recently enacted gun background check Initiative 594. The sheriff-elect and the prosecutor put out a public letter saying they're not going to make average citizens into criminals.

The new law stemming from I-594 is just 12 days old and already stirring up controversy. The initiative passed by nearly 60 percent of Washington voters requires background checks for private transactions of guns whether at gun shows, online or in person.

Last weekend, the state patrol estimated 1,000 people gathered at the state Capitol for an "I will not comply" rally.

Now a public letter has gone out from sheriff-elect Rob Snaza and prosecutor Jonathan Meyer of Lewis County saying they won't be going out and prosecuting people who inadvertently violate the background check law.

"We wanted to make sure that the citizens of Lewis County knew that we weren't looking to make criminals out of ordinary citizens," Meyer said.

Meyer and Snaza are the first elected officials to come out publicly saying I-594 is too over-reaching. They put this message out because they feel there's too much confusion about I-594 and they want to make it clear about what they'll do and what they won't do.

"'We're not going to try to trap citizens into transferring a gun to a friend and then try to nab them on a violation of 594," Meyer said. "That's not what we're interested in."

People who voted against the initiative say they like what they're hearing. Plus, they believe the enforcement would be too costly.

"And to go out of their way to find people, it's going to be costing taxpayers more money," said Centralia resident Leonard Hoffman.

But the authors of I-594 say the Lewis County officials are living up to the intent, but overreacting.

"It sounds to me like his is going to be doing what his legal responsibility is," said Sandy Brown of the Center for Gun Responsibility. "So we don't really understand why he's using such flagrantly and flamboyantly incorrect language about the intention of 594."

Those who voted for initiative want it enforced.

"I just want to feel safe in my neighborhood," said Centralia resident Romney Griffith.

But nothing has happened so far -- no arrests have been reported anywhere for violating I-594.

<broken link removed>

Time will tell. I hope they mean it, but they didn't say they would not enforce it either.

This is just lip service to keep from getting lynched.

Maybe, but I doubt it.

Lewis County prosecutor, sheriff-elect 'won't make criminals'

First it was last Saturday's "I Will Not Comply" protest in Olympia, and Monday the Lewis County prosecutor and sheriff-elect issued what KOMO is calling a "bold statement" that they will "not make criminals" of law-abiding citizens via Initiative 594.

<broken link removed>

Interesting. I'd like to hear this coming from all the sheriffs in all the counties, maybe then it would show that 594 won't have the teeth the freedom-despising, liberty-hating, fear-mongering, anti-gun crowd had hoped.

Just because its not enforced doesn't mean its not a law...IMO, I think there is danger to picking and choosing which laws to enforce or comply with...especially if one is ever in the position to use deadly force to protect their life and as a result is launched into the legal system. (And remember, it's a legal system, not a justice system... o_O)

JUST to keep from being lynched................Exactly for a law being passed that is so convoluted they all need to loose their jobs for writing and allowing it to even be presented for a vote........but if you believe for 1 second they wont be busting people your just as delusional as the pro gun people were thinking that messed up law would never pass.

They legalized pot in that state & driving under the influence has shot WAAAAY up in that state....its payback to the voters by the cops

Their marijuana law was passed the same way, very convoluted, no fore thought ...there is no standard for an amount of under the influence & they are not using an impaired test to see if your actually impaired some people could not smoke all day & still fail the retarded excuse of a test . this is practice is merely payback & to continue to jail citizens & continue to extract cash from our highways......... freakin tax collectors

they all took a page out of Barry's play book......you have to vote on it to see what it is.....then they screw us

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest...-arrested-for-DUI-A-record-high-in-Washington

I agree Monica, However at some level most all of our laws are selectively enforced. I suspect that in King and Pierce county you have a much greater possibility of running into a cop willing to make an example out of you than you would in say Lewis. I still think that the vast majority of cops are good folks who are only looking to keep bad guys from doing bad things. I also think there are more and more that are tools of the system who have no concept of who is a good person vs a bad one and will harass and charge anyone who jay walks, drives 57 in a 55 or stands up for themselves.

Just because its not enforced doesn't mean its not a law...IMO, I think there is danger to picking and choosing which laws to enforce or comply with...especially if one is ever in the position to use deadly force to protect their life and as a result is launched into the legal system. (And remember, it's a legal system, not a justice system... o_O)

Monica you just cracked the code!
This is one of the real problems with I-594. It may no be enforced today in one county, but tomorrow in another county, with a different prosecutor, maybe somebody gets hammered on pretty hard. Laws like this can breed that sort of thing.

Plus what will the future use of that law be when different people control the government. There are laws and regulations out there that were made in the 90's that they are using to drive gun manufacturers out of business. They come to your place of business and tell you that you owe a tax compounded from years ago to date. Then give you a choice to pay up or go to jail or lose your lic.

It's called the ITAR tax. Now wonder what other international agreements are going to bite you in the but t.o_O

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/12/19/a-mo...thorities-still-baffled-on-how-to-enforce-it/

The law is an 18-page quagmire of jumbled legalese and unenforceable garbage and the state Attorney General has thrown-up his hands in desperation and has now tasked local law enforcement to do their best in enforcing this law that confuses even legal authorities.

The state Attorney General's office has released a statement, saying,
"…Therefore, at this point we have no interpretations of the initiative to offer to the public beyond the text of the measure itself. Local law enforcement and local prosecutors typically enforce and prosecute firearms laws."
For those who do not speak baffled lawyer, allow me to translate:

"This law is an absolute mess and practically unenforceable; so, I now ask local law enforcement to, you know, just do the best you can and make up the law as you go along."

"I now ask local law enforcement to, you know, just do the best you can and make up the law as you go along."

UNEXCEPTABLE & WEAK LIP SERVICE TO GET OUT FROM THE MICROSCOPE & CONTINUE THE AGENDA
From racial profiling to gun enthusiast profiling....
* clean cut wear golf shirt & Khakis you get a pass
* long hair or beard and tattoos you get the shaft
* colored .....shoot to kill

tell me it wont happen! ya cant because it already does, now they just have more reasons to screw with law abiding citizen!

this response must NOT BE ACCEPTED by the people....I hope that they get flooded with mail from Washington residents wanting DEFINITIVE ANSWERS NOT DOUBLE TALK

Wow, you folks sure talk big game about rights and freedoms, but when a law is voted on by its states inhabitants, which a state has a right to do. Which in no way infringes on the 2A, but requires changes in the way transactions between private parties are done, you cannot blast it enough.

Leave the state if you do not like the laws. Such a bunch of hypocrites and tunnel vision advocates.

I do not often post, but this just made me upset.

:s0098:
Wow, you folks sure talk big game about rights and freedoms, but when a law is voted on by its states inhabitants, which a state has a right to do. Which in no way infringes on the 2A, but requires changes in the way transactions between private parties are done, you cannot blast it enough.

Leave the state if you do not like the laws. Such a bunch of hypocrites and tunnel vision advocates.

:s0097::s0098::s0097::s0098::s0097::s0098::s0096::s0097:

Wow... So much ignorant fail! :rolleyes:

FYI- Less than 50% of registered voters actually voted, and I594 was passed by about 60% of those who voted, so that means ABOUT 25% of registered voters voted for it.

HOWEVER that being said, you are myopic in what your view of "rights and freedom" are, and you clearly lack any real depth of understanding of what exactly the U.S. Constitution is, what it declares, and what it provides. "Rights and freedoms" are not something that are dictated and voted "in or out" based on social trends, biases, fancies, or fears. Tyranny by the majority or tyranny by the minority shall not prevail, that's why this country was founded as a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC and not a "pure democracy".

It doesn't matter if 99.9% of ALL CITIZENS "legally" vote to ban firearms (or "arms" in general), or votes that you must stand on one leg with one arm tied behind your back, wearing no cloths and must paint your wiener (or boobs) bright day-glow green and stand (or hop) in the town square if you want to posses a firearm.... SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED means just that, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. Not by any goverment, not by any social or politcal group, and certainly not by any ignorant mob of frik-stik granola eating, patchouli oil wearing hipsters with their heads up their bohunkus.

When one spends the majority of the prime of their youth upholding their oath to protect and defend the Constitution, (believe me when I say) they aren't "talking" a big game about "rights and freedom" as you (not so) eloquently stated. We played for keeps back then, and we're playing for keeps today. o_O

As for your closing comment,

"Leave the state if you do not like the laws. Such a bunch of hypocrites and tunnel vision advocates."

GFY ;)

Last Edited:
Best not to drink and post.

Better guess is a troll from the anti crowd embedded for a while.
They have no concept of constitution loyalty or intelligence about the 40% dismal turnout.
It does not mean they won, it means the state if full of apathetic jerks.
Still my bet is a Bloomerboomer yippie mole.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top