Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lever Rifles For Home Protection?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by longcolt, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. longcolt

    longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

    Messages:
    769
    Likes Received:
    110
    I know the forum has a lot of members that live in Canada and handguns are hard to come by nowadays in that Country. So a good alternative home protection choice might be a Marlin lever-rifle in 44 mag. I like that caliber because you can choose the fire the 44 special also and download the rounds for less penetration.

    The 44 Special is very underrated and is very easy to reload. If you choose you can buy cor-bon defensive 44 special which is hot stuff but does not enter the 44 mag pressure range.

    Have a bear problem, then the 44 mag will be up to the challenge in most cases.

    Lots of older lever rifles in different calibers to choose from also. Like the 38-55, 44-40, 38-40, 45LC, and all the rifle calibers like 30-30, 35 rem, 32, etc.

    Are lever rifles popular in Canada?

    What is the current thinking?
     
  2. 2506

    2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,370
    Likes Received:
    741
  3. jordanvraptor

    jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,665
    Likes Received:
    360
    I like my soft shooting 44-40 winchester 1892. I would feel well protected even if it is 116 years old... :)
     
  4. rusobr2

    rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Messages:
    1,353
    Likes Received:
    106
    longcolt--i have a mar. guide 45/70 behind my closet door always- crook county is one of the counties that 98% of the people own guns-the other 2% have cannons,and crossbows with silencer's.:laugh:
    steven
     
  5. ORBrit

    ORBrit Eugene Member

    Messages:
    698
    Likes Received:
    14
    I acquired a .45LC Mare's leg pistol in a trade and contemplated using it as a truck gun for a while.
    It was too nice though so I sold it for double the original trade value :)
     
  6. Cougfan2

    Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,792
    Likes Received:
    597
    Any rifle you have for home defense is better than not having one at all. If it was my only choice, bring on the lever gun!
     
  7. branchbuster

    branchbuster Albany Active Member

    Messages:
    510
    Likes Received:
    91
    Lever action, THE original assault rifle! 10 shots on demand, not much that you can't kill with 44mag at close range. The Marlin is far smoother and faster than the winchester type action. If you want lighter loads try trailboss powder with mag brass, cheaper than getting 44 special brass.
     
  8. Sun195

    Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,081
    Likes Received:
    375
    I have a Marlin 1894C .357 - I'd feel perfectly comfortable using that for home protection.

    Watch some cowboy action shooting videos on YouTube to see what people can do with lever rifles. Pretty impressive.