JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Lever Gun

• Henry Big Loop

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Henry Case Hardened

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Cimarron 1873

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I'm ready to pull the trigger (pun intended) on a 357 lever gun. Right now I have three options:

1. Henry Big Boy Steel Side Gate with the big loop lever (bottom of first picture)
H012G_H012GMR_Hero.jpg

Option #2 : Henry Big Boy Case Hardened Side Gate (Top of picture)
H009GCC_H010GCC_Hero.jpg

Option #3: Cimarron 1873 (case hardened and octagonal barrel)
CA241-1873ShortRfl-20-44WCF_2.jpg

I'm mesmerized by the beauty of the Cimarron. It handles well and looks great...but I'm not sure if it's worth nearly 1/3 the cost more than the Henry.

What are your thoughts? If you own either one I'd love to hear feedback/reviews.

What are your thoughts?
Well, technically Cimmaron is an importer of Italian made replicas. I believe they have guns made to their specifications with regard to specific styling, custom features etc. Kind of like Lipseys with modern guns.

You might look into Italian repros aside from Cimarron and maybe save a bit.

I have a lot of respect for the Italian repros and almost bought one myself a few years ago. All those I have held and looked at are very nice, good fit and finish and smooth actions.

Mike Venturino is a lever gun expert and highly recommends the Uberti/Cimmaron lever guns. Based on my experience with Henry I also recommend anything else.

I'd go with the Cimarron or Uberti over the Henry.
Nothing wrong with the Henry...Just like the look of the Cimarron over the Henry.

At one time I owned a Uberti 1873 Carbine in .45 Colt...it was a sweet shooting Carbine and damn good looking...Just couldn't get used to the non historically correct cartridge it was chambered for.

And yes I know that the .357 Magnum ain't historically correct for the 1873 either...:D
Andy

Kinda need to ask yourself if you want an authentic reproduction of a Classic, original rifle.

If so then you will have to look at either an Italian reproduction or a Miroku Winchester.

Other than their 'New Original Henry Rifle' Henry does not make reproductions of any classic or original rifles. All of their lever action rifles are modern designs based only on the appearance and function of originals.

Last Edited:
Should've gotten one in a much more classic caliber, like .40 S&W, maybe the wild western grizzly slayer 10mm, or the legend of them all, 6.5 NeedMore!

:s0140:

Speaking for myself...
A reproduction copies an actual historic firearm , to include details like caliber and such.
An example would be a Colt 2nd Generation black powder revolver.
Or say a Parker Hale made Enfield rifle or Rifled Musket.

A replica is a copy , which may vary in closeness of some details to a actual historic firearm.
An example would be a 1860 Henry rifle made by Henry or Uberti...the originals came in .44 Henry Rim Fire...the new made replicas come in .45 Colt , .44-40 WCF and the like.

Another example , albeit extreme , would be the Thompson Center "Hawken Rifle"...
while it is a muzzle loading rifle , it really looks nothing like an actual Hawken Rifle made from the 1830's - 1890's.
Andy

I have the Henry, and it's the most accurate levergun I own. I also have a JM Marlin .357, a '47 Winny model 94 in .32 special, a '62 model 94 in .30-30, and a Savage 99 in .250-3000. At 75 yards(my home range), the Henry groups the tightest. With the savage in a close second.
I love the Henrys.

I've bought the Uberti 1873 in .357 Magnum a few years back. I originally picked it up thinking I was going to do some cowboy action, but I never got into it. I love the rifle. I've probably put more rounds through it than any other gun I own in recent years. I've been considering picking another one up in .44-40.

Buy a Winchester. Holds its value better than anything else, Maruko included.
Next would be a JM Marlin.
Then Uberti, Taylor's & Co
Then Cimaron
Then Rossi

Then Henry.

Alright folks, I bit the bullet and went with the Cimarron (uberti) 1873. Octagonal barrel and "case hardened" frame. I went with the 1873 over the Henry because of the historical factor. It's the "Gun that won the west" and just feels good in the hands. My eyes love it... my wallet hates me. 7AFA0013-9CAC-4448-B9A7-2745A46F8471.jpeg 32C27091-BDB7-47BB-9EA2-722161E1F131.jpeg

Hey good choice!

Several years ago I was on my way to my LGS to buy a Miroku Winchester 1873 similar to yours only to discover it was gone when I got there!

Looking forward to a range report!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads