JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which Lever Gun

• Henry Big Loop

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Henry Case Hardened

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Cimarron 1873

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters
I hate you a little now on day 49 waiting for OSP to figure out they found nothing but a Multnomah Court screw up that no other BGC in 40 years has bothered with to Get my Uburti Made Taylor arms reproduction of a 1885 Winchester High Wall in 45-70 deluxe checkered pistol grip stock with 32" Barrel and Double Set triggers. It just sits there gathering dust in the gun shop while I play will my other toys.

OH yea Thats a nice rifle and like RVtech I want a range report. That is if you can ever find any ammo.

I hate you a little now on day 49 waiting for OSP to figure out they found nothing but a Multnomah Court screw up that no other BGC in 40 years has bothered with to Get my Uburti Made Taylor arms reproduction of a 1885 Winchester High Wall in 45-70 deluxe checkered pistol grip stock with 32" Barrel and Double Set triggers. It just sits there gathering dust in the gun shop while I play will my other toys.

OH yea Thats a nice rifle and like RVtech I want a range report. That is if you can ever find any ammo.

That is a bit frustrating. Hopefully they can untangle the mess and you can bring what sounds like a pretty sweet firearm home.

I hope to get out to the range sooner than later. Thankfully I have some ammo stored up.

All the domestic terrorists are using High Walls this year, that might be your problem.

The Govt that the voters (the gun-grabbing ones) asked for.
your-rights-end-where-my-feelings-begin.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS.....IMHO, the Cimarron 1873 wins.

Last Edited:
Please do not destroy the fine appearance of the 1873 with a big/large loop lever!

Those things are uglier than a can of smashed azzholes!
Now that I could agree with.

Had it been the Henry, go for it but not the 1873.

Please do not destroy the fine appearance of the 1873 with a big/large loop lever!

Those things are uglier than a can of smashed azzholes!

You may be right...

I haven't decided if I'll switch out the lever.

But I've seen a few members on this forum put red dots on their Garands ... so a big loop is the least of the sins that we may be committing!

Alright folks, I bit the bullet and went with the Cimarron (uberti) 1873. Octagonal barrel and "case hardened" frame. I went with the 1873 over the Henry because of the historical factor. It's the "Gun that won the west" and just feels good in the hands. My eyes love it... my wallet hates me. View attachment 824410View attachment 824411

You made the right choice hands down. I bet it was actually easy, and I am very happy for you. WELL worth the extra money, since you have a piece of art and an American (albeit Italian) Icon instead of an American Modern Market Offering. The Henry cannot match it for quality of workmanship and materials and is left in the dust where retained value is concerned. This '73 will ALWAYS be worth a chunk of change should you (HORRORS!) ever sell it. The Henry would be just another used gun.

I saw your thread a few days ago and had in mind to reply and am relieved you did not need my advice. To those that saw the obvious contrast, good on ya.

To the Henry fans, they are a good gun for what they are. I shot two of them: a .357 and a .22. I was not impressed with their construction. The .22 had a plastic front sight/barrel band, and the "sheet metal shroud" that serves to convey a fancy false appearance of receiver construction really put me off. I understand some models actually have a receiver that does not use this ruse. The guns reflect their price point and market demographic.

When Henry decided to do a replica "Henry" rifle (thanks @Andy54Hawken for the distinction: replica/reproduction) I was VERY excited. NOW we would have an American manufacture Henry copy and I just knew the company would be on its best behavior. A friend ordered one, and when it came into the gun shop we both frequent I was there when he opened the box. The fit and finish were much less than expected and no comparison to an Uberti. I think I was more disappointed than the buyer.

I heartily support Henry's manufacturing credo. I wish they had done better on their flagship. If so, I would own one.

I have one comment on your gorgeous rifle. I would have preferred it in .44-40, thus giving it the elevated status of "Reproduction". Having said that, the chambering you have will encourage more shooting (and THAT is what this is all about!).

Last Edited:
@Spitpatch I appreciate your thoughtful feedback. I'm really happy with the 1873 so far and looking forward to getting to the range soon. It does feel like a piece of both art and history; where the Henry felt like....a lever gun.

.44-40 would have been fun (especially with real black powder) but I already have a healthy savings of .357 and don't believe much in safe queens. So she'll be a shooter.

Maybe one day I can start expanding my caliber selection.

I really like the 1873 you got. A few years back I was all set to get the same rifle but came across a Rossi 92 in .357 I couldn't refuse. I still may get one though. I think that toggle link is pretty cool.

Sometime in the past year or so Oregon has "enhanced" their background check so now long delays are more rampant. And heaven forbid if they find ANYTHING from out of State. I hand a minor misdemeanor in Chicago from 41 years ago and was told that they had to request a copy of the report from Chicago and run me through the FBI before they could release the gun. I waited months with no luck and no one able to provide me with a guess as to when it would clear. Some people were waiting for 8-9 months! I finally canceled the purchase.

Next time I'll just have it shipped to a WA State FFL (I live in WA) and avoid the new Oregon system.

The BS part is that they could have simply looked at the charge and seen that it was not a disqualifying event. (non-violent, non-drug misdemeanor).

Made me feel like I was living "Alice's Restaurant".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top