JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings everyone -

So, I've been considering purchasing a level action rifle for some time. I've looked at several different models but really have little knowledge on them, so I'm kind of lost. Whatever I would buy is strictly for enjoyment shooting rather than HD or hunting. I'd like something that can shoot at a decent distance but I'm unsure of the limitations of one of these rifles. I also just want to run iron sights. This gun wouldn't be a safe-queen, so I'm not interesting in "collector grade" pieces either.

Any suggestions? Make and caliber? Advantages / Disadvantages?

I appreciate your help....

I'm quite partial to the Rossi model 92 rifles. They are a close copy of the Winchester model 1892. Many calibers to choose from but the 38/357 is pretty cheap to shoot, doesn't kick much and is a lot of fun. There are a number of makers producing levers today but this would be my choice given your situation.

tb

Browning BLR take-down in 308 win. strait grip = Accuracy+magazine feed+compact+ fit from coyote to elk hunting you can get for 900$

Whatever I would buy is strictly for enjoyment shooting rather than HD or hunting.

With this consideration, I would pass on any of the bottle necked rounds and would also pass on heavier pistol rounds like 44 mag, 454 Casul, 480R, etc...No need to get beaten up for recreational shooting. You might also consider a 22LR lever. Winchester, Marlin, Henry all make excellent 22 levers. My preference here would be an older Marlin take down m39 Mountie.

tb

Just out of curiosity, my latest issue of American Rifleman has an article about ( new) 1873 Winchesters....In my area I also see the Uberti versions of this as well as a lot of Marlins. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the info thus far.

The Winchester 1873 was a fine rifle and the Uberti version is a well made copy. If at a future date you decide to get into Cowboy three gun shooting (lots of fun), the Uberti would be a great choice for the rifle. I would choose a caliber that you can also get a six shooter in.

Alright,I have done a bit of pricing lately on these,yes about every one mentioned here.

On the low end is the Rossi. I had a 45c with a 24in barrel that was perfect.Shot Hornady leverevolutions at 100yrs perfect.The fit and finish of that gun was terrific,just beautiful.It was around the $450 range.There wasn't much kick with any loads I tried
Had the 38/357 Rossi also.Great shooter with virtually no recoil even with heavy 357.And the ballistics are phenomenal for a 357 out of a rifle.Fit and finish were acceptable,which says that the Rossis can come either way.Some will be great and some will need sent back.Same with the trigger.
One guy got a transfer in and asked about a trigger/action job.I cycled it and said I would pay anybody to try to improve that action,wasn't gunna happen. It was perfect.Mine was nice after I changed springs in it.
Rossis vary quite a bit.......But they tend to be the lowest price and are still fun.

Marlins used to be the second lowest price until Remington bought them out.Now the prices of the JM stamped guns are up there. Well I guess they are second,but not by much. Great gun though and all I have seen don't very much from production but from use. Heck they seem to be $600+++ for a nice used JM stamped and more for a pistol caliber.

Now Henrys.
Plan on waiting for anything but the rimfires.Most of the others are on back order.Henry has been sending out production rate? letters since they got flooded last year.We see a few rimfires around. And thats a great choice. Fit and finish of the Henrys are always very nice,with reports of one Big Boy(brass receiver) in Idaho being scratched to he!!.
Rimfires are $350+-,blued ,to $450+- for the Golden Boys.
The Big Boys,which are a tube load instead of gate like most others,are $700+.
I really like the quality of the Henrys and the tube load a lot,but I don't want the brass receiver,which is all they make in the hand gun calibers.

Then you go to the Winchesters and the Brownings.Older Winchesters can be had for the $300 range,but a new one will run around $800. Same as the Browning levers. But man are they beautiful! The new 1873 is around $1200,if you can find one.

Seems the Ubertis are right around the $700 mark new,also.Puma,the expensive Rossi is around the same as the Uburti.

I'll keep searching for as nice a Rossi as I can find. Great shooters if production was good and priced the best.
I'll go with a 38/357 again,cause I have that caliber,but any pistol caliber is a great deal.They get phenomenal (can I use that twice in a post?) ballistic and are cheap to shoot.

Can't wait for y'all to beat up this wonderful post I spent days on,lol

My lever lust grew over the years.
I will second the Marlin 39A suggestion. Quick thumbscrew takedown. Tack driver. A real pleasure to shoot. Fun as it gets.
22.JPG
Next came the 30-30 Don't get phreaked out by the microgroove barrel. This one has fed us well over the years. Great deer rifle. Comfortable shooter.
3030.JPG
Last acquisition. Needed something big. 45/70 1895XLR. They were right, it is more of a push than a whack to the shoulder. Really fun :) Nice to see a thumb size hole. No need for a spotter when you target shoot this one.
leverloop.JPG

I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th everybody's sentiment on the Rossi. A little harder to find in .357 rather than .44 mag or .45 long colt but you'll save a LOT on ammo, and they are out there. You might just have to look a little longer.

That being said...

My real recommendation: A Henry lever action .22 (not the Golden Boy version). They are $289 at BiMart and readily available. As you said, this is not going to be a HD or hunting tool. If that is the case, there is no reason to spend the extra on the gun and especially ammo. Even the cheapest .38 Special is about $16-$18 for a box of 50. Compare that to about $25 for a box of 500 .22 lr. Don't get me wrong I love shooting .38/.357 out of a lever gun. In fact, I regret selling mine and will probably get another at some point. If you don't already own a revolver in those calibers, and really truly only want it for plinking, the right move is stick with .22. Your wallet will thank you.

I would highly recommend the Rossi/Marlin in .38/357 cheap to shoot and FUN. .45Colt is about $1/round and doesn't really get much cheaper, unless you're shooting cowboy it's kinda pointless to go with this caliber.

.44mag lever guns are actually rather unpleasant to shoot, I can only imagine in 454 or 480 ruger. Maybe in bat country...

.45-70 levers are not too bad, I have a marlin .45-70 guide gun. It's really only punishing to the wallet to shoot, I bought it years ago with the intention of going bear hunting. Never did, I think I've maybe put 1000 rounds through it over the years, mostly hard cast, in that load it's a real pussycat to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top