JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Marlin was having problems before they came under Remington, and then they got worse.

Supposedly they are turning that around, but you still hear a lot of complaints, especially about customer service and the occasional rifle that comes off the line totally fubar and makes it past QC anyway.

I don't get the dislike for the tube load,especially in WA. Easier to unload when you get back to you rig.
And you can't really be skeered o shooting yourself since you are smart enough to keep you fingers off the trigger when loading......
I hate side loaders. But love lever gunso_O
Anyway. My first choice would be a Winchester or a browning,iffin I had lots a cash.
Second would be Henry
Third would be the Marlins,only they last about a half hour at the shows we would go to. They are hard to find
Rossi's are hit and miss. I have seen them really sucky from the factory and smooth as butter. If you think you can DIY polish the action they aren't a bad choice.
I did my own and it wasn't too hard
Puma is a Taurus company also. They are the expencive Rossi I guess. Never held one of those
Nor have I seen a chiapa

@WAYNO I see you have the 77/357 for sale. Isn't that pretty much a close second? Or are you stuck on lever action over the bolt action?

I originally set out to find that Ruger before deciding to give in to the lever gun that fell in front of me.

I'm curious to hear your take on the lever vs bolt though? Faster? Or fun factor?

@WAYNO I see you have the 77/357 for sale. Isn't that pretty much a close second? Or are you stuck on lever action over the bolt action?

I originally set out to find that Ruger before deciding to give in to the lever gun that fell in front of me.

I'm curious to hear your take on the lever vs bolt though? Faster? Or fun factor?

Good question.

Yep, it is a close second. I'm always looking for the ultimate pickup gun. I've owned a lot of "close" seconds, but still looking for the ultimate. Why I still would prefer a Marlin, and preferably in stainless...No magazine to mess with, higher capacity, and the ability to install an aperture sight without other modifications. I think the stainless Rossi is a very close "second" also, especially with the 16" barrel. But I have been exposed to a few of them, and they've all had quality issues.

Back to the Ruger...I know there are aperture sights available, but they're all made for the full-size 77, not the rotary-mag 77's. They can be used on the rotary-mag 77's, but the front sight has to be replaced with a taller one. Then it would no longer work with the existing factory rear-sight. I just don't like having to always accommodate.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Good question.

Yep, it is a close second. I'm always looking for the ultimate pickup gun. I've owned a lot of "close" seconds, but still looking for the ultimate. Why I still would prefer a Marlin, and preferably in stainless...No magazine to mess with, higher capacity, and the ability to install an aperture sight without other modifications. I think the stainless Rossi is a very close "second" also, especially with the 16" barrel. But I have been exposed to a few of them, and they've all had quality issues.

Back to the Ruger...I know there are aperture sights available, but they're all made for the full-size 77, not the rotary-mag 77's. They can be used on the rotary-mag 77's, but the front sight has to be replaced with a taller one. Then it would no longer work with the existing factory rear-sight. I just don't like having to always accommodate.

WAYNO.
I see what angle your looking at this now and I understand the reasoning behind the desire for the best one available.

I more or less wanted the 357 lever gun for range fun. So my opinions on the rifles are much different and my viewpoints are going to be towards a fun gun. In which case opening up the available options is less of a sacrifice.

I found this too while on the interwebs and thought I would share.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Rossi M92 .357 Mag (http://www.armslist.com/posts/5509905/portland-oregon-rifles-for-sale--rossi-m92--357-mag)

A fine pair to draw to!
100_1247.jpg

Humm.....so, your 1st choice would be a SS Marlin in .357 Mag.

I've never seen one in real life.

That being said, I've owned (never fired them) EMF '92 clones in .357 Mag and another in .45LC. Both were really nice. I just went down a different path with my SASS guns since those early days. LOL.....back then, I also had pairs of SS Vaqueros (Old Models) in both calibers. I also never fired them before I sold them.

The new Vaqueros are more to my liking.
SAA357Mag001.jpg

Getting back to the subject of lever rifles. My friend uses a SS '92 clone for SASS. He DIY smoothed it up real good. His is in .45LC. He is usually a "clean" shooter at every match.

BTW.....are you planning on handloading?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I have been using Marlin Lever guns most of my life and still own a few (not nearly enough) I would love to find a Stainless in 357 but for the last few years I have seen 357's go for more then $1800.00 If I ev er saw one in a pawn shop and it was 1000 or under I would trade in my silver to buy it!

My favorite is my 1895SBL Co-Pilot in 45-70
20151129_192744_zpsofrlasap.jpg

I cast and reload my own..
350gr, 405gr, 430gr and 540gr
Tombstones.jpg
bullets_zps6a8cef0c.jpg

Wow, looks like I need to start re-sizing my pics...

I finally ended up with a very nice Marlin .357 this week. And now there's another one for sale in the Classifieds, here.

If anybody is looking for one, ya better jump on it quick. I'm surprised it's not already sold.

WTT OR - Marlin 1894 .357

I saw that. Its exactly the one I want, but I already spent my cash last Thursday on a 1911. If it had been posted earlier I would have bought it without a thought. And I don't have a mini-14 to trade either.

Ive got an Interarms Puma .44 mag "92"-type which I think is a Rossi build in Brazil. It looks good- nice dark wood and good dark bluing. Got it "as new in box-unfired" from a local pawn dealer to partner with an Uberti .44 mag single-action. Functions with store-bought magnum and specials, and my reloads for both. Some of my reloads for it are hotter than Id care to shoot even in my Redhawk. No issues...
That said, I own both "just cuz".. thought it would be cool to have a western-style "set" altho I do not re-enact. I will say ::chuckle:: that it is not my preferred deer rifle due to it's somewhat rainbow trajectory- there are flatter shooting firearms in my harem... tho there is no doubt that a solid hit would take down any deer Ive seen either in Colorado or Missouri.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top