JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check with your local SASS club shooters.

CowboyLongGuns001.jpg

Guns like this JM stamped, Marlin 1894 (this one is pre-Rem.) were sold (on sale) at Big 5.

I can remember new Marlin 1894s (on the racks) were selling for less than $400 up until about 10 or 15 years ago. If you're lucky, you might just come across a used one at a Pawn Shop (about $500+ now a days). Keep looking.

If not.....the Uberti 1866 or 1873 lever actions are higher priced and are lightening fast (with some work).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Anything that was assembled at Remingtion DID NOT get the JM proof stamp. Only rifles that were assembled and tested in North Haven, CT received the JM proof mark.

Last Edited:
I was eyeing the Chiappa rifles because they had a finish that was like SS (I don't think it is stainless, just a finish) and they had the short octagon barrels and they also had takedowns, all three features I wanted.

Then I started reading about quality problems.

I would prefer a Henry.

Tube fed or not, doesn't make that much difference to me - tube fed has certain advantages in loading too. I am not going to be using a lever action as a combat rifle, so reloading doesn't need to be fast or done under cover while shooting.

I bought a Henry earlier this year and decided to sell it - mainly because, well, it's just too damn pretty to shoot, and I want a shooter, not a display piece. A friend has a Rossi in .357 and he loves it. I've not shot it, but I've worked the action and it was fairly smooth - but I've heard it can be hit or miss with Rossi.

I've looked into some others, but they are either hard to get or way expensive. Rossi seems to me to be the best choice on a moderate budget. I really don't need (or want) a $1,000+ lever gun.

I'm planning on getting another lever eventually (maybe next year), when I do, it will probably be the Rossi, partially for the side loading, partially to save some $$ and partially because I won't be competing with it, I just want a decent range/fun gun that doesn't drain the bank account.

I was eyeing the Chiappa rifles because they had a finish that was like SS (I don't think it is stainless, just a finish) and they had the short octagon barrels and they also had takedowns, all three features I wanted.

Then I started reading about quality problems.

I would prefer a Henry.

Tube fed or not, doesn't make that much difference to me - tube fed has certain advantages in loading too. I am not going to be using a lever action as a combat rifle, so reloading doesn't need to be fast or done under cover while shooting.
Word. I think Henry makes iron frame guns that more suit me than the shiny brass.. I'd be more inclined to just use the heck out of the thing.
Oh, Hickock45 has a recent vid on a 357 Henry (he loves it but doesn't really want to like the tube) and you can tell he does a double take while loading the tube as it takes him about three seconds to load ten.. instead of struggling to load two in the same amount of time.

Yeah - I grew up with a Winchester '94 rifle (24" octagon) in .30-30 and I know how hard it can be on your hands to load from a side gate. Tube feed is a lot easier, although you do have to extend the tube. I just wouldn't be reloading all that often, especially a handgun chambered rifle that holds more rounds.

For me, what I want - rifle or handgun cartridge - in a lever action, is stainless (not just a stainless like finish) but blackened, short (16 to 18") octagon barrel, a good slick action, a good trigger, aperture rear sight, front fiber optic sight, a scout scope mount and decent wood or maybe one of those "soft-touch" stocks. And I want reliability and quality.

The exception is that I am thinking that if Browning ever makes one of their "Black Label" BLRs in 7.62x39 then I would get one of those.

134712.png

Really do not care for the new lever guns with a manual safety. Have seen a few older ones go through the shop. Be patient and one will turn up again.

Yeah, I've had a few newer Winchesters of different years with variations on the lever safety/etc. and I just didn't care for the feel of the action compared to the classic '94 I grew up with. I sold them. I prefer the Marlins - that is what I have now; a youth model Marlin 336 short barrel in .30-30 with a scout scope.

and decided to sell it - mainly because, well, it's just too damn pretty to shoot,
What? Did it become PRETTIER after you bought it? I'll agree I was thinking the same myself after buying mine but I bought it as a shooter and that is what it is. I just tend to be a little more careful with it than some other guns - like no barrel down leaning on the front seat or laying uncased in the back seat - like I have done with other, less pretty guns! I treat my Commemorative Winchesters the same way but they too are shooters.

Yeah - I grew up with a Winchester '94 rifle (24" octagon) in .30-30 and I know how hard it can be on your hands to load from a side gate. Tube feed is a lot easier, although you do have to extend the tube. I just wouldn't be reloading all that often, especially a handgun chambered rifle that holds more rounds.

For me, what I want - rifle or handgun cartridge - in a lever action, is stainless (not just a stainless like finish) but blackened, short (16 to 18") octagon barrel, a good slick action, a good trigger, aperture rear sight, front fiber optic sight, a scout scope mount and decent wood or maybe one of those "soft-touch" stocks. And I want reliability and quality.

The exception is that I am thinking that if Browning ever makes one of their "Black Label" BLRs in 7.62x39 then I would get one of those.

View attachment 304580

The Black Label BLR is indeed an awesome rifle.

And it is available in .223 and 308 Win.

Browning-BLR-Black-Label-Takedown-16-Inch-Barrel-034026-3169.jpg

I believe that the Winchester 92 Short Rifle is still available from dealers. I've seen it listed by dealers as low as $950 NIB.

Otherwise, you could look for a used Winchester 92, or a Browning BL-92, which is about the same thing. Both are made in Japan by Miroku, and are really top quality guns.

The ultimate 92 would indeed be the stainless Alaskan takedown model available from Taylor's & Co. / Chiappa:

1892 Alaskan Take-Down .44RM, 16" Barrel, Black Soft Touch, Padded Stock End (http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/taylor-s-tactical/rifles/taylor-s-tactical-rifles/1892-alaskan-take-down-357-mag-16-barrel-black-soft-touch-padded-stock-end.html)

Here is a link to a review of the Chiappa variant:

Well, since nobody "really" knows much about the Chiappa other than what we read in ads, guess my only choice remains the Marlin, if I ever find one.

WAYNO.

The Rossi (Puma) is hit or miss on quality. If you've got a good one, that's great. Not ready to take the gamble. And the Henry, also no thanks. Just wish I could find a Marlin, and I wouldn't have to settle on next best.

WAYNO.
Problem is internal machining. Which Nutered10mm on YouTube walks through how to fix. Made all of mine work slick.

$.02

Italian firearms? Oh yeah, love those Beretta's!

I tend to trust Uberti, since using their cap and ball replica revolvers back in the day! Great fit, beautiful finish, never a problem with them! I felt that they were very precision guns!

They make a Winchester .50-95 express that motors my boat! :)

Well, since nobody "really" knows much about the Chiappa other than what we read in ads, guess my only choice remains the Marlin, if I ever find one.

WAYNO.

There are more reviews of the Chiappa on YouTube, if you want to take the time to view them. The one I posted above is by no means the only one.

And there are more written reviews elsewhere too.

Just Google:

chiappa 357 lever action review

If you want feedback from users of the rifle.

If you must have SS.....have you taken a look at the Winchester '92 clones (Rossi) from EMF?

1892 Rifles - EMF Company (http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1892-Rifles-c123.htm)

Then........
If winning is an indication of something. Just based on my observations, the SASS winners circle are usually frequented by:

Uberti clones of the Winchester 1873 and the Winchester 1866. Followed by the Marlin 1894.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
If winning is an indication of something. Just based on my observations, the SASS winners circle are usually frequented by:

Uberti clones of the Winchester 1873 and the Winchester 1866. Followed by the Marlin 1894.

Aloha, Mark

Well, SASS shooters generally want more historically accurate guns. And the Uberti 1873 and 1866 are faithful reproductions of those rifles.

The standard trapper Chiappa is a very faithful looking 1892.

By the time the Winchester 1886, 1892, and 1894 came out, the west had become fairly civilized and tame. They were thus not the rifles that "won the west".

My own great-great grandfather came west much earlier, coming west on the Oregon Trail in 1853. He was pretty well armed for that time, bringing both a double barrel 10 gauge shotgun, and the then brand new Colt Model 1851 Navy revolver.

Having looked at a few examples of Rem-Marlins.....YES, quality did/has suffered after the take over and move. Hopefully, it's better. OK, Ok, ok......maybe it hasn't happened yet. I've seen/suffered through, guns with really rough actions and ill fitting stocks. No, I didn't waste my money. I just waited until I found the right Marlin. And, what's that?

A Marlin with the JM proof stamped barrel. Yes, I confess. I have 2 Marlins in .357 Mag/.38 Special. One of them, I suspect was your typical Big 5 loss leader w/ micro groove rifling and plain stock (pictured above). The other has ballard rifling with a cut checkered stock.

BTW....don't be afraid of the micro groove rifling or the stated 9 round magazine. You'll want a 10 round capacity for most SASS events. So I just cut the magazine spring a bit and was back in business.

More info on the micro groove rifling.
Marlin's Microgroove Barrels - Glen E. Fryxell (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm)

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I know most don't like the ruger lever guns cause of the small magazine capacity, but I really like my ruger 96/44 lever gun.

I collect all older ruger firearms, yet I hunt with a marlin 45/70 :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads