JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to order a replacement from Chiappa, but in the mean time, I added back the lost inches and wrapped some leather around the repair.

That repair looks awesome. If you hadn't said anything, I would have assumed you added the leather on purpose for a nice cheek pad or stock protector or something along those lines.

Thanks Guys........ I've just about settled on the Win/Miroku 1892. But with that said I will check out the Marlin. I haven't picked on up in years, but any company can recover from a bad run.

This is the 1892 I've got my heart set on. Pricey and way too pretty, but it has got the 24" barrel I want, though I would prefer the crescent butt stock.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...rrent-products/125th-anniversary-sporter.html

But the Short Rifle has my attention as well. The right looks and stock, But I really want the 24". http://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...-current-products/model-1892-short-rifle.html

Wonder if I can get that crescent stock on the sporter rifle........ MMmmmm

With a 24" Barrel I think you will need to be needing to shoot the heavy Buffalo Bore Ammunition. The .357 Remington Magnum was designed to be fired in an 8-3/8" Barrel so...

I believe that EMF has the SS Rossi 1892 clone that someone might have been looking for. But, it's got that stupid safety on the bolt. Of course, one could always, "lose it".

And, I just saw a Win 1892 (Made in Japan version) at the last cowboy shoot that I was at. The rifle looked beautiful (as expected considering the price).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I decided to go with the Takedown version of the 1892 but then again I already had a few with the longer barrel. The 1873 is also in 357 as well.

Winchester From The Henry Rifle To The Winchester 1892.jpg

Been reading everything I can on this site as well as others, so I have it down to 2 models from 3 different manufacturers. The purpose for this rifle is just an all around general purpose woods bumming gun. Not a serious hunter, though this rifle may be pressed into that role from time to time. Punching tin cans and such. I'm quite happy with the .357 and know its limitations. I do reload that round but I keep it reasonable. I have a 1894 but the long action adapted to the short rounds does have issues. That dinky, cheesy little cartridge stop has caused me no end of trouble. Would like a suitable fix for it but no luck so far.

So, to shorten this up, this is what I'm looking at and would like to hear your opinions on these. Looking for tough, rugged, reliable, But most of all, QUALITY. Think months on end in the wild places with no spare parts. Pretty is good as long as I get the other priorities met first, but pretty is far from the deciding factor. Not mounting a scope so that doesn't matter either. Has to be a side loader. I'm open to a higher price as long as it's what I want.

Model 1873 or Model 1892. 20 or 24 inch is good either way

Winchester/Miroku
Uberti
Cimarron

I'm open to suggestions as long as they meet my listed requirements and are high end quality.

What say you??
The '92 action is superior to the '73, so I would pick a '92 clone based on that alone.
The '73 is the old toggle action that dates back to the Volcanic, but the '92 is like a mini version of the '94, with its twin locking bars.
Much better for higher pressure "Magnum" rounds.
Considering your parameters, the most logical choice is an actual 1892 Winchester.
After that, my choice might turn to the (unfortunately) no longer made.....Browning B92.
A well built and smooth operating version of an 1892 Winchester.
Then the Marlin 1894. Those made before the Remington buyout would be preferable.
YouTube gun channel Shoot Fast Fun got into Cowboy Action Shooting for a while and they used a Rossi M92 for a time, but found the gun was not made well enough to stand up to the rigors of CAS use, which is what they got it for.
They replaced it with an Uberti Cimmaron, but the 1873 model. As far as I can tell, that was a much better choice.
Good luck with your search (sometimes that's half the fun!) and please post pics of your new gun when you get it.

Dean

Last Edited:
Not a fan of straight stocks!

That said, if it was for a walking around rifle, I'd get something with a curved grip and an enlarged lever/ring.

If for horseback, I'd stick with the classic for ease of scabbard use.

I can't bring myself to buy a lever gun with a manual safety. Even the new Miroku Winchester special editions have a tang safety staring up at you and ruining the elaborate tang engraving from the early 1900's tang trademarks.

I hear ya.
I see a hammer gun, regardless of what it is (shotgun, revolver, lever gun) with a safety and all I can think is the clueless idiots who make the gun makers put that on have no place telling people how to build a gun.
It just looks so stupid...and I don't mean aesthetically, either.
Hey, Dippy F'ks! What do you think the hammer is for?!

FACEPALM_1_Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Statue.jpg

I have several Japchesters (1885,
1886) and they are really well finished and are real smooth. I have a Rossi in 45LC that feels like it was milled by termites.

If it twer me, I would buy the Winchester 1892 Short Rifle. Same size as the Carbine, but without the saddle ring. Has a nice steel foreend cap. Looks sharp.

View attachment 612965
As a disabled vet born 4th generation of Japanese descent, it is not pleasant
to see this terminology used to describe products made in Japan. Nor is pleasant to describe the Arisaka ammunition "Jap".
I understand the use of the word "JAP" has meaning prior to WW2.
My Grandfather, as a U.S. citizen, was incarcerated. Subsequently he voluntarily enlisted in the ARMY. 442nd RCT. Came back stateside and was
was labeled as a JAP although he was a highly decorated soldier.
My Father was drafted into the army during the Korean War. He was on the eastern side of the Inchon. He would not talk about the war. And labeled as as Jap stateside.
My Uncle in Mt. Vernon WA was a career Officer in the Army. He was SF
1963-1965 "winning hearts and minds" in Vietnam. Made Adjunct to the JCS.
I enlisted into the Army in early 1972 in II Corps and was sent to Vietnam voluntarily. Stayed until April 1975. I was wounded during the evacuation.
My cousin did 2 tours in Afghanistan. He is a Brig. General in the Illinois
National Guard.
So perhaps you do not know that the word "JAP" is offensive to me and
my family. And I'll let it go at that.

By the way, I have a decent sized collection of 1894 Winnie's. I have to
say I'm a bit of a snob when it comes Wincester's. They are from New Haven,
Conn. Because U.S. only!

I can't bring myself to buy a lever gun with a manual safety. Even the new Miroku Winchester special editions have a tang safety staring up at you and ruining the elaborate tang engraving from the early 1900's tang trademarks.

Actually that's not the case for the Winchester Miroku 1866 and 1873. So if you happen to like those two models you don't have to worry about the external safeties on those two models.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top