JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, I called Leupold & Stevens and talked to Sean in sales. He said all rifle scopes including the Redfields are made in the Beaverton factory. The things that are outsourced are the range finders and spotting scopes and such.

so every part of their scope is made in beaverton?

Yes all the rifle scopes are made in Beaverton, it's the other products that are outsourced, as stated above. If you have a problem with their product, being somewhat local to them you can drive to their facility and hand it to them. They will fix it, or give you a new one simple as that.

Correct leupold out sources their glass as do almost all other manufacturers. It comes from the U.S., Europe and Japan.

True. and like many other higher end scope companies, they are extremely picky about the glass and have their own coatings used on that glass.

As to a previous post about Leupold being proud of their name and pricing their scopes higher that they may be worth, I'd have to disagree.
Compare a top end Leupold at $800 to an equivalent Swarovski at $1000 or better. Nah, you pay for good quality, but you aren't overpaying.
Want to save some bread on a USA made scope? Buy the Redfield.

I was lucky enough to look through several brands side by side one afternoon at a sporting goods store. Zeiss Conquest was on top, followed by Swaro, Leupold VX-3, and Bushnell Elite. A few weeks later I got a chance to look through a Nightforce and the Zeiss Conquest at the same time. Nightforce won hands down for me.

That being said I own a Zeiss Conquest because I couldnt pass up the deal. My other three rifles have Burris Fullfield II on them. Way cheaper, and inferior, but a decent scope... IMHO

If you can find a place that has several, or all of them, go on a decent weather day and look at all of them. There is more to a scope than what is written on paper. Its about how your eyes adjust to the yardage number, duplex, relief, and so on.

No matter what you'll be getting a great piece of glass!

Nate

Persons with allegiance and knowledge of Zeiss, Swarovski, Nightforce, and such are well served by the unquestionable quality of those optics. Perhaps they can enlighten the rest of us as to how the guarantees compare to Leupold. In plain language, here's how the Leupold guarantee works:

ANYONE holding a Leupold riflescope, no matter when or how obtained (no receipt necesssary) enjoys full repair (or replacement) of that scope no matter what happened to it (as long as Leupold still has parts for it). Run over it with your truck, loan it to a crappy brother-in-law that somehow manages to break it, allow your dog (or a Grizzly Bear) to chew on it, drop it out of a drift boat and recover it a year later in a downstream sandbar (it probably will still work, though won't look pretty), and Leupold will make good on it. Can Zeiss or Nightforce make the same claim?

Being very close to the marketing/engineering departments at Leupold, I screamed to high heaven when they introduced the "Wind River" line of binocs, spotters and such years ago (imported and not covered by the same guarantee). I saw Leupold as falling into the same trap as the old Redfield factory: they began producing different grades of Redfields ("Five Star", etc.). Predictably, some of the lesser ones failed. Word of mouth is everything in this arena, and Redfield withered on the vine, was sold more than once, and finally died. Consumers confuse easily (as evidenced by some of the responses here). A Redfield (once considered equal to or better than Leupold) was not necessarily an ironclad Redfield anymore.

Until the Wind River point, Leupold offered nothing in the "Joe Six-Pack" price range. Their branching out was a market-share survival technique, and understandable. They continue this survival technique in the introduction of new products (imported) such as range-finders and trail cams which (due to the fragility of electronics) are not covered by the "Gold Ring" warranty, but still well-supported. Again, this is understandable.

Leupold is very concious of their reputation for durability, guarantee, and Made in the USA. ALL of their riflescopes are made in-plant, though glass has been imported for decades. There is no mystery as to country of origin, or place of assembly of any Leupold product. This information is quickly supplied to anyone for the asking, and imported goods are labeled as such.

I was flabbergasted when Leupold commendably resurrected the Redfield name, and assigned that old respected label the Leupold bullet-proof guarantee. I wonder if they have shot themselves in the foot here, as retailers cannot keep these Redfields on the shelf: a "Joe Six-Pack" priced riflescope, with a "Champagne and Caviar" guarantee. Best of both worlds. There will always be a market for the very best, however, and Leupold offers that as well, including the Gold Ring spotting scopes, made in-plant, and with the hard guarantee.

One other manufacturer has my concentrated attention. Sightron builds a VERY durable riflescope with exceptional optics. Viewing their scopes upon introduction (as a "civilian spy" for Leupold) at a SHOT show years ago, I was immediately impressed. As inside information, the Leupold engineering staff is still paying close attention to this company and products. That says something.

Spit- on warranty here's a little info from the link I posted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By LoneWolfUSMC:[/span]
Take a look at the Vortex warranty. If I somehow manage to destroy my Razor it will be replaced. Vortex released an updated ocular assembly and offered the upgrade to previous owners free of charge.

US Optics is another brand that deserves a look if you are wanting an American Made scope with an awesome warranty. While the printed warranty card that comes with the optic is pretty standard, they have gone above and beyond to fix stuff that was not their fault and definitely not covered under warranty.

I wonder what Leupold would say if you send them a scope you dropped on concrete or ran over with a truck?

Now I don't buy products for their warranty. I buy then for their performance and reliability. However anything mechanical has the capacity for a failure. In that case I like to know that my large investment will be covered. With Vortex, not only is it covered, but it's covered FAST.

We have Leupold MkIV's on our department owned rifles. I am really not impressed with them. The guys who shoot those rifles don't have any problem with them, but I believe it's mainly because those are the highest quality scopes they have ever seen. When I compare them side by side with either my USO SN-3 or Vortex Razor it just blows them away in quality, feel and clarity.

Good warranty from Vortex, apparently, with one crucial question: Future owners (no matter how many times it changes hands) of same scope covered? This is the very source of Leupold's retained resale value beyond all others, aside from a definitive uncomparable statement from a manufacturer standing behind its product....for ANY user.....FOREVER.

The link poster need not "wonder" about the concrete or the truck if he has a Leupold (Or the Grizzly Bear, dog, driftboat or brother-in-law).

One last question regarding Vortex (i.e.: quality, "feel"????? and clarity): Prominent in the benchrest circuit (even existant)?. This is where quality and clarity is hard-data tested. Hence Leupold's not moderate presence.

I would like to thank everyone for their input and opinions. After reading some of the more thoughtful responses here (as well as on other websites as well) and having an opportunity to compare several of the optics side-by-side, I decided on the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44. I had a chance to compare the Zeiss and the Leupold Mark Four side by sides and the difference in the two was amazing. Not that Leupold is a bad scope. It is a very good scope. It is just that the Conquest was noticeably better in low light. I did not get a chance to look at all of the scopes in this general price range, but I did get to more than half of them. And an added kicker was the dealer for the Zeiss had them on holiday sale. Never a bad thing either! Again.. thanks to everyone for taking the time to render your opinions.

You did well, JG, and despite my allegiance to Leupold, I will be the first to say there is NOTHING wrong with Zeiss. Your effort to compare will serve you perfectly. Many do not put that effort forward, others shop price point, others (like me) have blind (no pun intended) attachment to brands that have served them well previously. Extend the same effort toward keeping your paperwork from Zeiss, and you will find they will stand behind their scope for you. Watch out for the brother-in-law, Grizzlies, etc. With your effort, you made the very best choice by the very best method.

Leupold would be very interested in your concientous comparison of scopes of similar price range (and your method and results). Your work is done, but with a bit more in communication to "Brand X", they might improve on what they offer. No benefit to you at this point, but perhaps future benefit to the blind like myself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top