JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a Kimber .308 rifle and am now looking for a better than average scope for it. I have been considering a Leupold Mark Four, Zeiss Conquest or similar. From what I have been reading, a 3-10x44 seems to cover the ranges I will be shooting at. Anyone with some practical experience and suggestions? Thanks.

I'm building a 308 myself and found myself in the same boat..after a LOT of reading I decided on going with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with the MRAD Reticle - they seem to go for 899, but it seems every vendor is OUT of them... so I'm on a backorder list

Depends on where you're going to hunt. If you're going to hunt the west side of the Cascades 3-10 would be good. If you're hunting east of the Cascades I'd get bigger scope. I use a Nikon Monarch UCC 5.5-16.5x44 on one rifle for the east side and I like it. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 on my other rifle I use for the west side. If you're hunting in thick forest you might even be good to use iron sights....Again, anything I write is just my opinion...

I have a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 on mine, i now its over kill but why not get the best!! you can use it on multiple guns then. I like to shoot long range. What will you be shooting?

If it's just a rifle for hunting and you don't plan on super rough handling, then skip the Mark 4. The Mark 4's are the same exact optics as in the VX-3's but they have thicker tougher tubes for rougher handling in tactical/combat situations. Save yourself a few hundred bucks and just go with a Leupold VX-3.

Leupold has a relatively new line of VX-R CDS scopes out that are really cool. I bought a 4-12x40 with the illuminated duplex reticle (only a center dot at the intersection of the crosshairs illuminates, so it is not so distracting, it was $600 bucks). Plus with the CDS (custom dial system) feature on this scope, once you settle on a load or factory round your gun likes, you just call up Leupold with the serial # on your scope, give them the info on your load (FPS, BC, Caliber, etc...) and they send you a custom dial etched for your load. Range your target, dial your scope, squeeze the trigger, then get to work gutting, skinning and packing!

I will be mostly doing target shooting. Distances of 100-1000 yards. I know.... the scope range I states probably cuts off around 300, but what they heck. I might end up with a Night Force. Has been one I have been looking at.

If you aren't shuttering from the cost of a Night Force then buy one. Everybody I know or have talked to that has one loves them.Not sure that Ziess is worth what they want for them.Or the squarsquaffskweez.The Leopolds have good reviews and I have looked at the Nikons a lot.The seem to be very clear but the customer service has some issues?

I hate cheap glass.I'm looking at a 300 mag of some kind.I will buy the rifle and then wait to have the money to buy the best scope I feel I can afford.If the gun/caliber can reach out 1000 yards,it's kinda silly to skimp.The scope can always be used on another rifle too.

Let us know what you come up with

Depends on the budget...SWFA, Vortex PST and Bushnell make some very good value optics...move up the ladder and you're into the Vortex Razor, Leupold, Nightforce and Premier Reticle range...

I'm a hunter. I target practice for load development and trigger skills.
For my hunting tool (Kimber Montana) I purchased a 3-9x40 VX-R Leupold, which is basically a VXIII with the red dot. For me, one of the most important attributes of a scope is low light use. This scope excels in that area.
We have several other rifles and all but one wears a Leupold. That rifle is for sale, but if I was keeping it there would be a scope change in it's future. I've owned other brands that were not "upper level" and they are not nearly what the (entry level) VXI Leupolds are, especially in low light.
Another thing to consider is eye relief. Some scopes lose a lot of eye relief when cranked up.
Whatever you decide, buying the highest quality scope you can afford will be money well spent.

The new Bushnell HDMR Elite Scopes with the Horus reticle look pretty nice. I haven't seen one but the features look good.

If you are happy with a SFP scope then you can get some good deals on used Nightforce scopes as the cutting edge guys are upgrading to the new FFP models.

I'm pretty happy with my Vortex PST, the glass quality is not as good as my Nightforce but the Vortex is FFP with mil/mil reticle and turrets and it makes adjustments super easy.

There has been a lot of new stuff coming out in the last year.

Leupold & Stevens is local. It's based in Beaverton, OR. Support them. Not only that they are local, but they have the best customer service/warranty support you will ever know.

i like leupold and have owned their scopes. But when a company who was founded on being USA made and advertised as so, won't tell you what scopes are made in the USA and which ones are outsourced starts to worry me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top