JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am sure this is not news in the age of the internet but since I started at this way back before the internet was a thing its something that I found interesting.

In the 1980's when I got into the shooting hobby I was indoctrinated by the local gun shop that it was
"Lee-ah-polled" and for years I pronounced it as such. I have heard other pronunciations over the years that where some variation of that.

Well a few years ago I made a friend whose ancestors started Leupold and Stevens. He unequivocally set me straight,

Its Loo-polled (or Loo-pold)

Anyway I still run into folks from time to time who say "Lee-Ah-Polled" but with the internet its becoming less common.

I just heard a fellow say it the way I would have said it wrong years ago so I thought I would type out this meaningless waste of time ;)

What, Americans are mis-pronouncing a Euro surname?
Say it ain't so! LOL

My family name got changed when my ancestors arrived at Ellis Island because the intake clerk couldn't pronounce their Norwegian last name.

Yeah, In today's world I am sure 95% of folks would say luepold right but 25 years ago it seemed like the majority said it wrong.

And I guess in the big picture it doesn't matter anyway. its not like if you said "Lee Ah Pold" scope they wouldn't know what you where talking about :)

How many of you guys and gals grew up saying sAko? I was in my late 30's before I met the West Coast Sako representative at Kimber of Oregon, where I was employed. It actually sounds like socko!

Well I thought it was lee oh pold and havn't been corrected... I knew people wee laughing at me behind my back!

Seriously though - I appreciate info like that.

I've been told 4 different variations of Phó now.

Albin25 got it right!!! I used to drive my liberal daughter, and my Grand Children ( !!!!!! ) up North to visit older daughter in Portland... We go throu Albany, and the kids would smell the stink...

Every time, I would say, do you KNOW what you are smelling????

They would wonder... And my reply was always: MONEY!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Albin25 got it right!!! I used to drive my liberal daughter, and my Grand Children ( !!!!!! ) up North to visit older daughter in Portland... We go throu Albany, and the kids would smell the stink...

Every time, I would say, do you KNOW what you are smelling????

They would wonder... And my reply was always: MONEY!!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Ya they tore that paper mill down and shipped it to Chinao_O

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews