JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The thing you need to look out for is the "Phoney" ones coming in from China!!!

While they look good, they aren't! Leopold has a Hot Line number with more information.:):):)

I'm gonna shoot this over the holiday weekend. I'll report back....

View attachment 596977

1 1/4" extreme spread at 300 yards. Returned to zero perfectly. I'd say it's good to go.

CD9EFF64-2144-4193-B1D2-747A36082998.jpeg

we had leupolds that had tracking, hold zero issues on our 107s, Mk14 EBR's. When i used to teach Sniper/SDM to service members in a previous life i saw numerous Leupys that couldn't track during box drills, knobs and erectors come apart on new issued rifles, cloudy glass to name a few things. the best leupys i saw were on the SPR and M110 rifles. the 110 rifles had the caps come off from time to time though.
i still use leupys. i know the limitations of my setups with those optics and i would still buy them.

I will join the detractors in one sense: Recent drastic modifications in the Leupold line of offerings are decidedly NOT in favor of the "market share" that built their reputation.

The most tragic loss is the 3x-9x Compact (later termed "Ultralight"). This was the very best combination of lightweight, power, and additional features such as AO available for a hunting rifle or walking varminter. It is gone now, as are some sandbags that held serious shooters for years,especially in the fixed power arena. I am in serious consternation regarding these marketing decisions while recognizing they are marketing decisions.

If we truly had persons that "shot a lot" rather than "bought a lot", or knew the value of range testing and recording their guns against any published fantasy value of twisting knobs to tune in to a prescribed radio station of bullet impact, Leupold might not have been forced into abandoning the very best products they ever made.

The very best example of this corporation's early values was the advent of 50mm objectives. Leupold held out till they could not anymore. This ABSOLUTELY unnecessary change and "next best thing" marketing decision was finally entered into by the corporation with the entire marketing division and engineering division in opposition to management against the advent.

These divisions were thrown a bone in that all Leupold scopes sold (after the conciliation to management's decision for 50mm) included in the shipping package an explanation in scientific terms saying why 50mm was ONLY a slight advantage in low light conditions. (50mm advocates should read these little brochures at least twice.) Mounting complications and proper cheek-weld easily offset ANY benefit. Georgia beanfield shooters may have harvested a few more unsuspecting Whitetails granted 7-10 minutes more of seeing them to shoot. Anyone looking thru any Leupold scope manufactured from Day One can testify that these scopes allow you to deliver a killing shot way beyond any normal legal shooting light (and I would include here the scopes with no bell forward).

Leupold now has scopes with turrets and eyepieces with sharp edges as do the "tactical" guns that they are arguably intended for. Leupold has now against all advice from it's "base" entered into a spectrum of "different grades" of Leupold. This is what precisely killed the old Redfield corporation. At one time a Redfield was a Redfield. The very best and maybe better than Leupold. Then they had "3-star" and "5-star" with different warranty coverage, etc. A Redfield was no longer a Redfield.

I will finish here by saying if you buy a gold-ring Leupold, in my experience you will be happy forever. At least that is still true.

Not a big fan of Leupold (obviously) but I do like some of their optics, like the Mark 4 CQ/T (too bad it was discontinued :().

I find their glass to be clearer than Vortex. I don't have to scratch to play with the big dogs so there's that.

I find their glass to be clearer than Vortex. I don't have to scratch to play with the big dogs so there's that.
I think it depends on which vortex. Their high end stuff I prefer over equivalent Leupolds, but IMHO I much prefer stuff like nightforce and such.

Currently I have a PO 4x17 which has better glass than most of what is offered here in the states around the price I paid for it. But I'm looking at a good prism scope for a second Arsenal 106 I'm gonna get. I would have gotten a Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T but they discontinued it and didn't replace it with a similar offering. :(

Currently, I only have 2 scopes in use. I have never had really high end glass. The scopes I am using are a Leupold varixlll 3.5-10x50 that I bought around 1993. The second scope I picked up a couple of years ago is a Vortex Razor Gen ll 4.5-27x56.

They are different animals. The Leopold has capped turrets and a duplex reticle while the Vortex has tactical turrets and a Christmas tree reticle.

I paid about $850 for the Leupold back then and $2300 for the Vortex 30 years later.

The Leupold glass is as good or better (maybe, I haven't done a side by side comparison) than the Vortex. I can say that I have not had tracking issues with either scope, and that they are both excellent.

I would consider Leupold optics to be high quality. Not S&B or Hendsholt, but not Bushnell; somewhere in between. If the Leupold scope has the features and characteristics you are looking for in the price range you can afford, then it will be a solid choice.

I like Leupold glass. A lot.

Hell, I am so old that I used Redfield ( Denver ) glass @ 600 and 1,000 yards, and won money doing it.

All of my Leupolds have tracked and returned to zero without issue (and i am a dialer not a hold over kind of guy). IF there was an issue with tracking (and not just anti-leupold fanboy repeating crap they 'hear' online), im positive they have resolved them. The reviews for their newest scope product line the Mark 5 has been overwhelmingly positive for their adjustments. Both from a functionality standpoint (return to zero and tracks true) and feel (loud audible textile clicks).

Buck Doyle uses Leupold products on all his school guns for his traning classes, and im pretty sure until recently he used the Mark 6 exclusively.

and not just anti-leupold fanboy repeating crap they 'hear' online
Or you know, issues from past leupold scopes that they discontinue for a new line, for said reasons. Not like they've been doing that before.

They make changes when something turns out bad. For example, earlier CQ/Ts had amber reticles and Leupold changed them to red after finding out that amber was not a good color.

Or you know, issues from past leupold scopes that they discontinue for a new line, for said reasons. Not like they've been doing that before.

They make changes when something turns out bad. For example, earlier CQ/Ts had amber reticles and Leupold changed them to red after finding out that amber was not a good color.
Agreed. All manufactures makes changes once a product has been released to the public. Either for quality purposes or for performance purposes. My point is still the same however, The Mark 6 was introduced around 2012 (from what i can tell online) and is still available. Not to mention they had been selected for a few government contracts if i recall correctly. If there were tracking issues, you can be certain they have been resolved by now.

Agreed. All manufactures makes changes once a product has been released to the public. Either for quality purposes or for performance purposes. My point is still the same however, The Mark 6 was introduced around 2012 (from what i can tell online) and is still available. Not to mention they had been selected for a few government contracts if i recall correctly. If there were tracking issues, you can be certain they have been resolved by now.
IICR it was more the VX lines with the problems. The mark 6 should have been fine. At least within a range of not being noticeable.

But a lot of companies have some amount of tracking issues, IICR Valdada Hensoldt and USO are few that track 100% (and you pay more for the latter two).

Look at Tract optics. they are offering free CDS style turrets with scope purchase for one more day.
they have close out scopes as well.
do some search on these scopes.

Last Edited:
Actually got my mind set for either leupold mark 5 or mark 8. I already have a Nightforce ATACR and I want to add a leupold to my collection. Really wanted a tangent theta but 4.6k is killing me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top