JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about buying a leupold scope. It will be my first leupold, so I did some research and found (to my surprise) that its not as good as I thought it would be.

Seems like leupold has tracking issues? Why would a high end brand would have such issues?? I almost bought a mk6 from a friend but that scope too has bad reviews. Really want a leupold but not if it's junk...

Nope, they're not junk. ;)

E93EA5CC-D281-4CE2-9A12-7AAF55988D36.jpeg 155647CB-FB12-4C76-BD66-B9590C072F55.jpeg

But... If you can afford it Schmidt & Bender is always a good choice. :D

Nightforce is the standard other scopes are judged by, not Leupold. But, the Mk6 isn't junk. I have my preferences but I wouldn't say no to a good deal on a Mk6.

Thinking about buying a leupold scope. It will be my first leupold, so I did some research and found (to my surprise) that its not as good as I thought it would be.

Seems like leupold has tracking issues? Why would a high end brand would have such issues?? I almost bought a mk6 from a friend but that scope too has bad reviews. Really want a leupold but not if it's junk...

I'm not sure if the tracking issues are a given, regardless of the product line. I had a VX3 and Mark4 that weren't terribly consistent. However I had a Mark AR Mod 1 that was completely repeatible.

Whilst I'd probably not buy their budget models over other brands, anything with a 3 or higher nomenclature are remarkable scopes.

Leupold glass (say starting around VX3 / Mark 4) to me feels like dating an 8.

You're happy and everything is a lot better than it could be and you don't have to mess too much with it. You live your life and that life is great and you can do anything. No one's ever going to shame you, and in low light situations you're going to do great.

Once you start dating 9s and 10s, things get a whole lot more expensive, finicky, and you start worrying about the glass bumping against something it shouldn't in the safe.

By all means if you want to get talked out of something great go read about it on the interwebs....

I would suspect that if someone is experiencing tracking issues with a Leupold that there is a loose screw behind the trigger and probably nothing to do with the scope.

If there is a problem with the scope, Leupold will fix or replace it free. Leupold scopes that I own and have owned are as reliable as death, taxes and internet gossip.

Theres a lot of Leupold lovers here. Guys that shoot a LOT, dont normally depend on Leupold. They have tracking issues due to poor erector systems. Ive had many fail. I personally dont trust them, no matter how good the warranty is. Id rather buy and use a scope without failure vs buying a scope knowing ill have to use that stellar warranty. Sometimes sooner than later. The last leupold models that i had failures with, were the VX3 3.5-10×40 with the CDS.

I buy Leupolds and then go looking for a gun.

But then I don't "shoot a lot". Probably due to the grueling 50 yard walk to my heated carpeted shooting cabin and range. Or maybe one can't "shoot a lot" if limited to only one full month a year living in a wall tent in Montana.

54 years of using them. NEVER a failure.

If you count guns you might have a problem. But I will make an estimate and say 40-60 Leupolds in the house (including the aforementioned six or seven awaiting guns).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads