JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We have been shooting 300-600yrds and want to extend this to 800-1200 and i have an opportunity to obtain a Leupold scope at a good discount. Thinking about the Mark 4 6.5x20x50 - can't afford to go much above that - maybe the 8.5x25. Or should I go for the HDMR or PST any thoughts. Currently using a Muller 8x32 and any heat waves kill it quickly.

The Leupold you mentioned is a great scope. I used that same scope in an Advanced Long Range Rifle course successfully out to 1000 although it ran out at 800 if I remember correctly and had to create a firing solution using the reticle instead of the turret...that rifle needed 20 MOA rings to extend it further and so will you. We trained out to 1200 but I just ran out... accepting the fact that my TMR reticle was good until 1000 for creating a hold over firing solution.

For the night fire portion the rifle/scope combo worked well and I was the first to have to cease firing about 10-15 mins before the others because it didn't have an Illum reticle. So while that is a handicap it isn't as much as I would have thought. I did struggle to get hits however while the others were not as challenged. So if low light/night fire is on your task list then you might want to seriously consider that option.

Keep in mind the theory behind scopes...they only help you see better not shoot better...and with that here is a basic premise FWIW (its free so it isn't worth much)....

Premise: If you can shoot and hit a deer size critter with open sights or a 1.5x scope at 100 yards then you can hit the same critter at 500 yards with 5x magnification and 800 yards with 8x magnification etc. So if the theory holds true a 10x scope will work effectively at 1000 yards. More magnification means you can see the deer or target a little closer but not necessarily shoot any better or get more hits.

One of our staff works at Leupold in their Technical Support Dept. He aced and I mean aced a mid/long range rifle course a few years back with a fixed power 4x Leupold shooting out to 600-800 yards. So the scope is only part of the equation...it is the guy behind the trigger that really makes the difference.

Great scope! I use it on my .338 lapua out to 1500 meters. I use a 20 MOA base and have firing solution also so I dont have to max out the scope going to 1500.

Leupold also has a great warranty, if by chance something goes wrong!

The older I get the more magnification I need. Can you tell me how this scope would stack up against the HDMR or PST? I haven't looked through either of them.

The older I get the more magnification I need. Can you tell me how this scope would stack up against the HDMR or PST? I haven't looked through either of them.

Opinions are like elbows and everyone has one. Much of it is based upon perception. Honestly I cannot tell the difference between a $1000 pair of Bose speakers and another pair costing $299. So for me and perhaps many of us I would should say our level of appreciation is based upon our perception of quality and affordability. For the person who has to have the best of everything then Bose is the best...for me, a $300 pair of the very best lower end brand x would be more than sufficient.

Now take this same thought process and apply it to your mission...So until you can personally do a side by side comparison in all different light and shooting situations it is going to be a ruff decision for you to make. So you must consider your mission...how are you going to use this optic? For periodic good weather fun or for serious all weather life or death competition or duty? So with that perspective in mind...let's consider the options between Leupold and Brand X and Y....

Those who really take long range seriously in competition, military, or LEO long range shooting rank optics about this way: #1 S/Bender; #2 Nightforce and/or #3 Leupold. I can tell you there IS a difference between a $1600 Leupold and a $3,000 S/Bender but you'd have to be a long distance aficionado to justify the difference.

However, let's get real...if you're shooting long distance for enjoyment and as a hobby on an occasional nice day then I'd say a Leupold would be a top-of-line premier scope choice in terms of optic brightness, precision, clarity, contrast, coatings, and ruggedness. And most importantly repeatability! The quality of these scopes are tops! You cannot go wrong with a Leupold. I realize people are all excited about Vortex and the others choices for long distance..and they're good to great scopes for what they're supposed to be. However, the Historical Track Record shows us that S/Bender, Nightforce, and Leupold are the primary choices of those who take their long range rifles into harms way.

Balance your "want" with the reality of your "need" and you can make the best choice possible. Remember optics help you see better not shoot better!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top