JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am an avid hunter, and here we are another year, and the arguement has once again arose....

I have a 5 and 7 year old boy, who want to watch me skin a deer or elk, (If and when I get one) but my wife thinks they cant handle it..

Tell me what you think... all opinons welcome.. please...

Thanks

let them watch. This is the real world and sugar coating it just makes people ignorant. The reality is predator vs prey and its a completely natural affair and expected unless you are among the PETA masses.

Double ditto with Beretta for his, as well as the rest of the obvious reasons - and fry up a little backstrap or heart that evening (with onion and garlic) and let them help - Hey! I getting hungry!

only way to know for sure, is to let them watch, and see if they can handle it or not, honestly.

Personally, I was skinning/cleaning/cooking/eating my own rabbits and squirrels I got with my pellet gun when I was like 10 or so, and had no problems, but I may be in the minority on that kinda thing (also personally gave myself 5 stitches in my left hand, in college , so again, I may not be "normal", which has been said before. all you can do is give it a try.

It's not like if they think its nasty, gross, or even hurl, that it's gonna scar them emotionally or something. Worst case is they cant yet handle it (or maybe never will). Guts, needles, hunting,critter cleaning, fishing and medical stuff just isnt for some people, and thats the way it is. Nothing wrong with it, and it means nothing about that person, IMHO. It's kinda like some are scared of heights, crowds, etc. Some cna hack it, some just cant, and thats all there is to it.

Let them watch, but if they need to, let them retreat too. If they need another year, they've got it. I don't know how you feel about it, but I try to have some respect for the taking of an animal's life to nourish my own. Minimal waste. Reasons why what is left behind is left behind, pass it all on so there is some context for them.

True, but even I'll admit that stitching youself up, just to see if you can, maybe isnt the brightest way to test a theory, and to learn. I will say though, that after having closely watched as a doctor hgave me stiches many times, it sure seemed like it wasnt all that difficult or rquired much training, and it turns out I was correct on that, as I pulled it off just fine, and the scar is no worse than any other that was done by a doctor, and I did make sure to take precautions to avoid infection and such, and had no problems. Still, maybe not one of my better ideas.:D

Jaybo. let us know what you decide, and how it turn out with the kiddies.

True, but even I'll admit that stitching youself up, just to see if you can, maybe isnt the brightest way to test a theory, and to learn

LOL!! I could also tell stories on medical "self help" that might make you queezy! - some with the help of trained medical personnel and some not...

After a lot of thought (not much by me) My wife has finally agreed that it will be alright if the kids watch. Both my two older boys are always interested to watch, in fact, they both asked me when I got home tonight if I had brought home a deer!!! (no luck.. sorry kiddo's but we tried!) Still have plenty of time to git r done.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Jen didnt think that it was a fair "poll" since everyone was "just more men with guns"... but since its not just me... its all good... now we gotta get you guys to agree with other things to get her to change her mind on ;):s0155:

At that age boys will think it's either cool, gross, or both. Trauma comes from the context of the event. If you deliberately try to freak them out, then yeah, of course they'll freak. If you go about it in a business-as-usual manner then they will probably respond the same way.

I never learned (except for gutting catfish). Even though it grosses me out, I regret not being taught because it's an extremely valuable skill to have. Could I do it in a survival situation? Sure. But it would take me too long and I'd F it all up and probably waste a lot of good food/skin in the process.

Maybe one day I'll learn.

let them watch... I'd get them to help some... Dad handed my an eyball from a big buck one time.. Must have been around 1973-74 and I took it around back. Sat it on the chopping block and split it with a hatchet! I had no clue that it would pop! Sprayed clear gel all over my face:s0131: It freaked me out for a year or two.

Look at me now.. I'm a perfectly balanced adult with minimal issues! No... REALLY I AM!

Since that time, I've worked with game and helped butcher cows, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. I've been able to look at each animal as a trout that needs to be cleaned.

If put in the context that it's no different than cleaning a fish (which is true) just bigger, people can usually accept it better I think.

If they want to watch, let them. They will walk away if it is too much. Or they will walk away when they get bored...my guys got bored after about 15 minutes. Seems they were expecting something a lot more exciting...:p

My kids have never been bothered by it. Last time I skinned one in the garage they were running around using the legs as light sabers.

That always impresses the neighbors.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads