JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Our kids have fit rite in to the team.We process our game as a family,everyone has a job.To think I used to do 90% by myself.I hope someday I can just shoot animals and they will do the rest,it will never happen but one can dream.

I am an avid hunter, and here we are another year, and the arguement has once again arose....

I have a 5 and 7 year old boy, who want to watch me skin a deer or elk, (If and when I get one) but my wife thinks they cant handle it..

Tell me what you think... all opinons welcome.. please...

Thanks

Sounds like a case of "projection" to me.... ;)

Don't have them watch, have them help. I was plucking and gutting ducks and geese when I was 5 years old. You don't like it at that age but you grow up not having it bother you. I really enjoyed gutting my dad's first elk. If you don't let them help there is a greater chance they will grow up to join PETA....just my opinion.

Sons and daughters both could not wait to see what's on the inside of everything we killed - fur, fin, or feather.
Actually wanted to do the field dressing on the big game. Harmed? Scarred for life? Not at all. As preschoolers they got a kick out of playing with the legs of ducks and pheasants; removed at the knee joint and then pulling the tendons to make the toes curl up and wave.
Let your youngsters learn something about anatomy and where food comes from, if they want to.

Sons and daughters both could not wait to see what's on the inside of everything we killed - fur, fin, or feather.
Actually wanted to do the field dressing on the big game. Harmed? Scarred for life? Not at all. As preschoolers they got a kick out of playing with the legs of ducks and pheasants; removed at the knee joint and then pulling the tendons to make the toes curl up and wave.
Let your youngsters learn something about anatomy and where food comes from, if they want to.

My wife and I grew up in hunting and fishing familys so when our first son wanted to watch us clean up a deer we let. As well as his two brothers when the came along. Never thought about not letting them watch or help until came across this post. The boys are now 35 -37 and 39 and they are not warped. I showed them how to play with the chicken legs. They poked the deer eye balls to see what would happen, pretend bull fight with the horns.
And questions???? I had to get an annomy lesson to learn about the parts I did not know about. I wonder if I was that much of a pest while my dad and granddad was fixin up a deer or cow.
My oldest got to clean his first elk this year. My elk but he vollentered. He did an excellent job.

If they arr interested... Then encourage it... Good real life experience... And answer any questions they might throw at you... Let them know the importance of the whole process.
Copyofboysccbull2.jpg

i think it should be more of it more of a learning experience for them, then to just let them watch. i remember my dad having me hold the legs and showing me where to cut in certain places.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top