JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I let my twin four year old daghters watch while my buddy and I skinned my first buck this year. They thought it was pretty neat. I showed them that the muscles is the meat we eat and all that jazz. They also enjoyed seeing it sitting in the bed of the truck; they played with the horns too. The key thing is that I didn't force them to do any of it. One of them was a little apprehensive at first and I just let her get used to it and pretty soon she was right there close to me through the hwole proces.

If the kids have never been exposed to mass blood and entrials before, I would start them on a small animal (squirrel) or bird so as not to be overwhelmed by the sight and smell. When I was young we used to hunt mice with our Red Ryder's and skin them. ;)

If the kids have never been exposed to mass blood and entrials before, I would start them on a small animal (squirrel) or bird so as not to be overwhelmed by the sight and smell. When I was young we used to hunt mice with our Red Ryder's and skin them. ;)
Kids trying that in anything other than a rural setting may get labeled by the Child Services cops as potential serial killers...:mad:

All 3 of my daughters have watched, all before the age of 12 to let them know the entire scope of hunting. All were ok with the skinng, jumping in and helping out. The only problem started before that with the gutting, as my middle daughter didn't want anything to do with it, but she will hold the heart & liver, just won't dive into the animal. The youngest, now 10, climbs right up in there and helps. The oldest just got accepted to animal sciences at OSU and used her experiences to write her thesis on the internal organs of the animals.

Let them see it!!

I was eight years old when my father taught me how to skin a deer and my five year old sister wasn't about to be left out either. I think she was more fascinated than I was.
It'll do them alot of good to understand what is under the skin. You can demonstrate to them where and why shot placement is important, and what the business end of a gun can and will do. Which will probably be a good primer on gun safety. It's not like in the movies!
I believe it was a great learning experience.

Just saw this thread and I thought it looked like a good topic. I grew up on a few acres (by no means a farm) and my parents raised 100 or so chickens at a time to butcher them to save money. I was helping gut and skin the chickens as they were being butchered and I was about five years old. I know that there is a difference between a chicken and a deer/elk, but still. Not allowing kids to see stuff like that, in my opinion, decensitizes (spelling may not be correct) them to reality. I think it is more harmful when kids sit down after school for hours or all summer long and play video games constintly. Anyway, I think it is absolutely fine and I will not try and hide stuff like that from my kid(s); however, if you have a moral, consceous feeling that you should not let them see stuff like that at this age, then I would follow that. Good luck though.

BJ

:(Well, this year I didnt get my deer/elk:(

So it really became a non issue until my buddie called me up late in December with a request to use my shed as a meat locker... NO PROBLEM... I only charge a SMALL FEE;) (a few backstrap steaks):D

My kids were very interested in it... and so... I let them watch. Jen read through all the responses, and with your input, pursuaded her to "allow" the gruesome, lowly acts be commited against an innocent animal!:D

My kids actually hung around for a while, then got bored and left!.. Noone got sick, noone freaked out, and none of the kids have had any nightmares about it...(yet).. so I dont believe any long term harm was done!:s0155:

Thanks for all the honost answers. I really appreciate it... I know someday Jen will too!

My daughter (now six) has been watched me skin and cut up deer and elk since she can remember. She is all girl and has had no ill affect......so far. She is our first child. I will update you with a post when she is 18.

No problem, let them watch AND even help. When I was five I helped my dad gut and skin deer; all it did was teach me how it is done so I can pass it on to my kids and grandkids. It only becomes a big deal if you make it one.

Captain is right. If there's a big deal in the house about it, it will certainly be some kind of problem. If it is treated as "just the way things are", then it will go much better.

When Dad brought home deer, I helped when I was old enough. I was never told to go near or not to. It was good, later, to bring home the deer and have him skin it, though!

Bob

I say you know your kids. I took two of my boys with me the last time I went to the local pig farm. They watched the guy shoot and clean the hogs I purchased. The younger one decided he needed to go sit in the truck because he was getting an upset stomach about halfway through cleaning the second hog.

My sons are 4, 9, 9, 14, and 20. I took a 9 year old and the 14 year old.

My point is, I knew which of them could handle it and which should wait.

I should add that I told my wife after the fact.

I've let my daughters help me fillet fish and gut deer. They know how to do it and have done it. If they hunt and fish when they are older (which they probably will), they can teach their kids.

I don't see an issue with it.

I have 4 little boys 6-9. They have no problems with gutting deer and elk. It is a part of our life. I actually think it is better at a younger age to show them this stuff.

I would think the younger the better. Introduce them to lifes experiences like this at an age they are still curious and aren't filled with preconceived negative ideas. This will also give them a better understanding of where their food really comes from and what it takes to fend for your self.

I would say let them watch. I also remember as a kid (probably as early as 7) being told by my grand parents to catch and kill a chicken to have for dinner. I never had a problem, good chicken actually. I watched my dad do it plenty of times when I was even younger than that.

I shot a doe last hunting season and my 2 year old just sat there and watched while I skinned it and butchered it. He had his toy rifle and kept aiming at it and saying "bang".

let them watch or even help. there is a lot that can be taught from learning about the anatomy of animals and life. I grew up around it as a kid, and for me, I even practiced my doctor skills as a future profession. (luckly I choose differently) I even became quite the bird cleaner and big game processor, and gives me enough knowlodge to be able to do it on my own. In case if the world ends.
This is how it will be for my kids. Not too sure about the part, mine would have her sleeves up it

Two years ago on Oct 31st (yes that would be Halloween) I decided to shoot our rooster with my 22. My wife refused to take care of the chickens because she was scared of the rooster. I simply recognized the threat and neutralized it.:D I proceeded to skin the rooster and prep him for the freezer. Meanwhile my then 2 1/2 year old daughter kept an eager eye on me and what I was doing and find it fascinating. We just treated it as a normal thing. We raise chickens to lay eggs and provide meat. Same goes for hunting. The only negative consequence of this was that my daughter decided to let everyone at church know that, 'Daddy killed the rooster!' during the kids corner story time. That got a pretty good laugh.
Short story long, if I ever become a successful hunter I plan on letting my kids watch/help process the game.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top