Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Letter to WASPC on silencer use bill.

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Ranb, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

When LuftPost met with Representative Pedersen a few days ago, he was told that we should contact the WASPC Washington Association of Sheriffs & Police Chiefs and WACOPS Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs .

I am writing to them both. Here is the letter I will send when I return home to WA on Monday.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb

2. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

GREAT letter. You've definitely hit on all the key points. The only "suggestion" I would have is some minor typo and grammar edits are needed. Other than that, it reads perfectly. :thumbup:

3. Ranb

It is a rough draft, I will edit it before printing it out. Thanks.

Ranb

4. Ranb

Getting through to WASPC and WACOPS by mail is not working. I should have called them a long time ago. It turns out that they do answer the phone and they said they will contact me by phone or e-mail soon.

The WASPC had an opinion (either for or neutral) on Senate bill 6459 which would allow police use of silencers. I guess some of the members were against allowing the police to use silencers. I was told that there are many members who's opinions vary widely.

Hopefully I will be able to talk them into not opposing bill 1604 when it is re-introduced.

Ranb

5. Papi

Papi Washington New Member

Any updates?

6. Ranb

I called them both on the phone after not getting a reply to my letter/dvd's. Both said they were going to discuss it and get back to me later. A few days ago I got an e-mail from the WASPC saying they were taking a neutral position on silencer use and would not oppose a silencer use bill.

I may have to contact WACOPS again to get an answer.

I am still looking for people who want to have meetings with their Sentaors and Reps. Anyone game?

Ranb

7. sigman

sigman Olympia, Wa Member

Are you thinking 1 mass group or everyone at their own schedule?

8. Ranb

Everyone on their own schedule. Sitting down for a face to face meeting with a Senator or Representative is the best way I know of to convince them that a silencer use bill is worthy of their attention. Most of our legislators (including the bill sponsors) are unwilling to devote any time at all to the bill unless they think it has a chance of passing into law.

If anyone wants to set up a meeting with their Rep, but do not want to go alone, I am willing to go with. I like having another person with me as it is a confidence builder and it is nice to have someone to remind me if I missed anything I wanted to talk about. I went with two other forum members to meetings and was glad they accompanied me.

Ranb

9. Bhowe

Bhowe Seattle Member

Ran,

You continue to go above and beyond with these issues. I have a lot of respect for someone like you who goes out and takes the appropriate action, rather than talking a lot of game but not ever doing anything. If we were all as devoted as you, the laws would already be changed. With that being said, you seem to already have a good grasp on which people are important to contact and such. Any info you can provide to help get us lazy folk involved would be be a big help. I would love to help, but am not sure where to even start. I am sure you remember my run in with the silencer legality issue. My issue was resolved with a good outcome, but since then I have been to afraid to leave the house with one.

10. Ranb

Bhowe,

Start by asking your Senator and Rep for a face to face meeting. It is easy, just e-mail them and tell them about the bill (1604 and it's successor) that you want to discuss. Either they will ignore the e-mail (Sheldon), promise to set up a meeting but never do (Finn), or set up a meeting and follow through (Pedersen and Haugh).

The important people right now are the ones in your district, and the committee chairmen, especially if they are Democrats. But we cannot ignore the Republicans because most of them are unwilling to push a silencer bill also. If you are able to set up a meeting, please let me know as I would like to go with.

Ranb