JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been doing quite a bit of research on wall tents, tipis and tent stoves, etc. and wanted to create a thread dedicated to the discussion of such things. Please share your experiences, do's & dont's, product recommendations, brands to stay away from or anything else of value.

I'd like to purchase a canvas wall tent or tipi in the next 5 years and dedicate more of my time for winter camping and possibly for hunting. There sure are some great products out there. As of now, my perfect or ideal shelter would be big enough for 2-4 people, be stove compatible, useable year round but excel in winter camping. Ideally, it would be right at home for car camping, but a manageable weight to be able to drag behind on a pulk, with other gear, while rocking snowshoes. Not sure if this exists, haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet.

I did discover a sweet tent stove called a G-stove, that's got me all excited.

Tipi's are fun but....they do require long poles in the 18 to 20ish foot range...so the carrying and storage of the poles can be an issue.
Also if one is historically picky...many tribes had a distinct style of tipi , lodge poles , how the lodge was set up and a long list of tipi etiquette...
Not saying not to get a tipi...just something to think about.

As for other canvas tents ...I have and use a "Miners tent" / "pyramid tent"....it can be used with one or two poles and is very easy and quick for one person to set up.

For "Weather Proofing"....I like to build a small , but smokey fire inside my tent...Not sure why this helps keep it "water resistant" ...but it does...my tent is made of "Marine Cloth" Canvas Duck
Andy

I say from experience that putting up an "Army tent" or MASH tent, requires more than one person. Wood burner is a must.

Carpet on the floor of wall tents is really nice improvement. But if you bring along a turkey deep fryer, heat it up full of oil, then dump a turkey in there, you better have a fire extinguisher!!!:eek::eek: We still call this event "Turkeshima". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

451F1C9A-8C09-478A-8042-95BCFE18ACC5.jpeg
I've always been a big fan of Kifaru gear. Their range of tents and stoves, while not cheap, are first rate kit.

Definitely don't mind spending a premium if it's what I'm looking for and will last my lifetime. Those kifaru tipis look nice and are about a third of the cost of some other tents I've been looking at. I'd like to get into something more durable if possible.

I've have a friend that has one of those old green Army 12' x 12' canvas tents that he used for elk hunting.
It was a lot of work to set up, but once the wood stove got fired up, it was pretty toasty inside.
He doesn't use it anymore and wants to sell it since he's quit hunting, but it's real heavy and definitely takes two strong people to set up.

Owned a 16 ft Tee Pee for 5 years used it 6-8 weekends a year during that time set up for as long as 9 days at a time.

NO Need for a Stove simple fire pit in the middle to heat and cook on. No worry about smoke if you have a liner and set up the thing properly all the smoke and fumes will go straight up through the vent at the top.

A 16 ft Tee Pee is comfortable for 2-3 couples depending on how much stuff you have and how big of slobs you are. We had a large cooler a Kitchen box some Fire Irons a Queen sized bed (made up from Dacron double sleeping bags and blankets) a Couple of smaller boxes for clothes and then my Two Rifle boxes. We had another couple and a couple of kids stay with us a number of times and it was comfortable.

A 16 ft Tee Pee will use a dozen or more 20' poles I carried mine on a 108" wheel base Dodge Sportsman window van and they stuck out 4ft in front and maybe 3 in back.

Takes about 20 min for two people to set up.

A canvas floor really helps keep things clean.

After the camping you have to make absolutely sure the canvas is dry and clean before you store it. Or it will mildew.

If your interested in a Tee Pee maybe Andy can give you an idea where to find a Black Powder Rendezvous to check one out.

We sold ours when we weren't using it as much as we should have and storeage is a BIG requirement with a TEE PEE the main canvas the liner and the floor with camp ing gear for a couple would fill most small SUVs and Cross Overs not that you could haul the poles. I never saw anyone with a good version of poles that would break down.

Whatever you do, don't get too big of a stove. You can heat yourself out of house and home. You might want to think about taking some Coal along. It lasts a long time.

You might want to take a look at the nylon squad tents. They are designed for year round use. Personally, I think you need to think about taking some of the plastic tarps. Both for under the floor and for over the top. In a heavy rain just about any tent will begin to leak.

Just a couple of suggestions.

@Mister Bisley My buddy in Bend used a 12x12 Army tent for years, then switched to a 12x24 MASH tent. Lots of room to sleep in those. Plus storage for hunting gear. But we kept all our food and cook center outside. No leaks.

He doesn't use them anymore... let me know if you want me to check with him.

That G stove looks to be the Bomb! Would love to have one.
As for quality tents, while these might not check all your boxes (primarily, no provision for a flue or chiming), they are pretty cool nonetheless. Worth knowing about...
Www.oztent.com

I personally covet the RV-4 and RV-5

That G stove looks to be the Bomb! Would love to have one.
As for quality tents, while these might not check all your boxes (primarily, no provision for a flue or chiming), they are pretty cool nonetheless. Worth knowing about...
Www.oztent.com

I personally covet the RV-4 and RV-5
Those are pretty sweet. I wonder how they are rated for snow load. I'm all about the G-stove!

My hunting tent is from canvas cabins. 15x18 with 6' fly. It has the exterior frame. One person can set it up and take it down no problem. My experience with interior frames is that it takes two to set up. Four is better. Has a wood stove and it can get to hot inside. The green army tents seem so dark on the inside. White canvas seems a lot brighter.

Great idea for a thread!
I used Cabelas Alaknak tents (large and small size) but not in winter yet. Good quality but way too heavy for what you are looking to do if hiking is involved. My winter 4 season tent is also from Cabelas. Alaskan Guide model 8 man dome type. The thing takes a huge snow load, but not spacious like a cabin nor stove capable. Body heat does keep temps warm inside at night.
We bring a large tarp for rain/kitchen area and keep warm at campfire, which sometimes is larger than the tent. :D

I have been hunting out of wall tents for many years now and they are my preference for a warm dry camp. Big ones can be a pain to set up but usually you will have help. For my use this 12x12 from Kwik Kamp is perfect. I had them put a zipper in the back so we can use it as a cook/storage tent butted up to the front of my buddies 14x17 tent. I also had them put the stove jack through the roof at the point of me choosing. This tent is the biggest 12'x12 tent you will find due to the angled out sidwalls that are 6' tall. I can easily set it up by myself if needed but can accomodate 2-3 people no problem. I had them omit the internal alum frame and I made my own internal frame out of 1" emt. The pole ends I crimped with a hydraulic hose crimper to fit inside the female angles I also built out of 1" emt. Because of the angled out sidewalls every pole is the exact same length and all but the 3 ridge angles (I painted them red for easy id) are all the same, so erection is very simple. Kwik kamp was very easy to work with and they also make a truly airtight wood stove which I also recommend. Happy hunting

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top