JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Must be nice... try being a 5'6" Tactical Newman sometime. :p Seriously, I look and sound a lot like THIS GUY after about a hundred pounds of liposuction and some Weight Watchers and workout, then stuffing into my favorite 5.11s...

Man, I wish flashbangs weren't considered "Destructive Devices"... no reason for EDC, but I can see plenty of around-the-house Home D apps, like tripwired alarms at the doors.

Last Edited:
I'm an instructor for less lethal. Pepper spray has the highest likelihood of having SOME sort of an effect, but it takes a while to set in and doesn't incapacitate. It gives you enough time to move and use the distraction to egress or attack. Careful on the attack part.

Gel and foam are real neat until someone wipes it off and slings it back at you. Seent it several times. Pretty good on animals and there is a little less splash back.

Tasers will incapacitate if you get two prongs in the guy with enough space between them to get a good neuromuscular interference. If you get one dart, you can charge forward and contact the badguy to close the circuit. THEN WHAT? If you don't carry cuffs, you better run. It only lasts so long and then he's right back in the fight. Every push of the trigger is its own use of force.

Stun guns just make people jerk away and yell at you. Nothing like the movies.

Just remember, pulling any of that stuff on some is justification for them to use deadly force. Same goes if anyone pulls any of it on you. Be sure you HAVE to use it before you do.

I like the fact that N0_Regerts uses the correct phrase (Less Lethal) instead of non lethal because any on the items listed in the original post can be lethal.

Why spray vs. gel?

No Regerts covered it. Spray has best chance of being effective. They cannot wipe it off near as easy as gel. And you can get it to atomize in a breeze if necessary but I would not rely on that. Think of trying to hit someone with spray from a garden hose vs a mister vs globs of jello.

But its been years since I messed with the stuff. No real desire to anymore either.

I routinely carry Sabre Red pepper spray but I know it might not always be the most appropriate response given the weather conditions and so on. I've never had to deploy it but I did get exposed to a healthy dose of CS gas in boot camp a long time ago. I would not want to repeat that.

Looks like my family is the only one to carry tasers the C2 and Pulse.
Along with their guns, As cost goes it's less that a retainer for an attorney.

And we get to watch the perp flop to the ground and do the funky chicken LOL and for fun hit the switch again and give them another 30 Ride!!!!

And that's after you take their I'D, wallet, and kick their the1st down their throats while you Call 911.

Wind, yes. Rain actually makes it spread around better once its on them. I have to get sprayed every so often for my instructor recertification and I always dread the shower after. It reactivates and can flow downhill to the nether regions...

Sounds like the first time I got to eating some jalapenos with a sandwich then went to take a leak and forgot to wash my hands good FIRST. Never forgot again :)

Looks like my family is the only one to carry tasers the C2 and Pulse.
Along with their guns, As cost goes it's less that a retainer for an attorney.

And we get to watch the perp flop to the ground and do the funky chicken LOL and for fun hit the switch again and give them another 30 Ride!!!!

And that's after you take their I'D, wallet, and kick their the1st down their throats while you Call 911.
Taser used to and I suspect still may offer that deal where they will replace a civilian model if left behind?? I know they used to advertise that with their stuff. The Civilian models had that option to run for :30 so you could just let it go and run for help. Thought at the time when they started doing it that it was a good selling point. Wife had a C2 for years that mentioned this in the packaging. She never got to put it to the test fortunately ;-)

I like the fact that N0_Regerts uses the correct phrase (Less Lethal) instead of non lethal because any on the items listed in the original post can be lethal.

Is someone claiming that someone died from OC now? I know I see these idiots claiming a Taser killed. In each case I am HIGHLY dubious at best on those. Always my bet would be whatever the kook was on was what stopped his heart, not the Taser. I had never heard them claiming OC did that now? Someone have some kind of allergic reaction and go into anaphylactic shock?

Is someone claiming that someone died from OC now? I know I see these idiots claiming a Taser killed. In each case I am HIGHLY dubious at best on those. Always my bet would be whatever the kook was on was what stopped his heart, not the Taser. I had never heard them claiming OC did that now? Someone have some kind of allergic reaction and go into anaphylactic shock?
There have been instances of people having breathing issues and dying after being sprayed. In the world of law enforcement the term has been changed to less lethal, not non lethal just for those reasons.

I carry a Glock, an assisted opening knife clipped in my strong-side front pocket, a telescoping baton that looks like a flashlight in a belt holster, and wear safety-toe Danner "Quarry" boots... then there's the fact that I'm 6', 207lbs, usually carrying a 50lbs tool bag over my shoulder, look pissed-off half the time (my natural expression), and still have a loud Drill Sgt voice.... I don't get it, nobody ever seems to want to play with me!

:D

"The look" is your first line of deterrence, a loud/strong voice and "command presence" often de-escalates a situation, an arch-stomp or punch to the nose will dissuade 99% of aggressors, striking weapons to major muscles or wrist joints, a knife to slice a tendon or just bleed a MoFo will freek-out just about anyone, failing that pop corks into their chest until they stop...

Your main weapon is your mind, and having a prepared mindset to employ only what's needed, when it's needed. Actually killing someone is the last thing you want to carry around with you, justified or not.

The main thing is to look like you're (and preferably ARE) more trouble than it's worth. Don't look like "food", and you won't get "eaten".

Now I'm starting to sound like a cheesy Karate' instructor..... :rolleyes:

I agree, I have never had much trouble in being a target. There is the chance that you are a specific target and then that stuff goes out the window.

As far as non-lethal I have no need. I am either in fear for my life or I am not. Its black and white. If I fear for my life I can use any means available to stop the threat. If I am not in fear for my life there should be no reason to engage with any weapon.

Cops are another matter, They have "situations" which warrant a weapon but not a bullet. I am not in a position to need compliance from an assailant that I cant neutralize with deadly force. If they attack, I am in fear for my life. If they don't, I have no need of any weapon.
End of story :D

Being a big guy (6'1", with some girth ;)), people tend to leave me alone. But to add to what you both said, I was taught many years ago about how to just walk down the street and not make yourself look like an easy target - and it can work for folks that don't break the 6' barrier.

What I was taught was this - don't walk with your head/eyes down, keep your shoulders back/walk upright and walk like you have a purpose - not aggressive, but you look like you know where you're going, what you're doing. Bad guys want easy targets and with the huge numbers of people that walk with their heads buried in their phones or just kind of shuffle along looking like life has taken a sh!t on them just moments earlier, you can certainly separate yourself from those easy targets. My wife is 5'2" and folks don't mess with her - she knows how to keep her head on a swivel.

As for less lethal/non-lethal options, I do keep pepper spray by the front door of the house, but don't carry it on me - just too much stuff to carry already. Out and about, I've got my carry piece and my knife. I prefer avoidance and de-escalation as my non-lethal tools - I stay away from areas that don't look or feel safe and avoid people if they don't look safe either. Size and strength come next - I don't like to fight, but will fight, with all I have, if needed. My size and the ability to switch on an intimidating voice/glare will usually back off most folks - and has so far each time I've had to do so. I've had to step in to some scuffles a few times, and typically folks don't seem to want to fight me, so they may posture a bit, but have always backed down.

The one time I had to get really physical with a guy was when he threw a punch at a guy holding a young girl and hit them both (the two had been arguing earlier), knocking them to the ground - I grabbed him, locked his arms behind his back and rammed him hard into an iron fence, pinning him there with my weight. When he turned his head and got a look at me, he suddenly became very compliant and ended the threat. I told him to sit his azz down until the police got there. What I didn't know until later, when another guy told me, was that the guy I grabbed was carrying a big old Bowie knife in the small of his back under his shirt - thankfully he didn't grab for that as I wasn't in the habit of carrying regularly at the time. In fact, the only times I've really had to assert myself was in the defense of someone else - I don't go looking for trouble, but if someone else is in trouble and it appears to be an unfair fight, I may just step in, and have, on a number of occasions. Not everyone gets the benefit of being big, but I think without the right attitude to go with it, size itself isn't necessarily a deterrent. I've seen plenty of big folks that look like an easy target, simply by how they carry themselves.

Point simply being, you can choose to be an easy target or a hard target. If you're a hard target, you're much less likely to have to worry about these situations in the first place.

Taser used to and I suspect still may offer that deal where they will replace a civilian model if left behind?? I know they used to advertise that with their stuff. The Civilian models had that option to run for :30 so you could just let it go and run for help. Thought at the time when they started doing it that it was a good selling point. Wife had a C2 for years that mentioned this in the packaging. She never got to put it to the test fortunately ;-)

Yup
They will still replace it.... call 911 make the report and send in with the taser receipt!

Make copies of the purchase and put in safe .

Maybe it's because you walk around with your pants unzipped and wear a clown nose :rolleyes:

:p
tumblr_mbtie6spcy1rg5jito1_500.jpg

OK never thought of asthma. Having watched many go through an attack I guess I could see the stuff starting one on them that may lead to death.

Maybe if you have athsma don't do criminal $#!7 :D criminals with breathing problems can't run as far. Makes it less sporting for the cops. Kind of like hunting and going after the crippled deer with the crossed eyes and mangled legs :p

Establish the mission, reduce perp.
Encounter perp doing bad stuff (like Town Center Mall)
Be nearby and reduce perp b4 before perp does stuff.

Cop too heavy for old fart to carry around (but would be good coffee break bud).
Glock 27 semi-IWB and extra 15 round mag, 25 rounds total.
Folding knife, keep it sharp, clipped to pocket.
Sabre Red spray (Mini-mag flashlight holster fits it) on belt.
Nail clipper to keep me looking neat and tidy.

License to CC, update as need.
Train, retrain, practice with carry piece (peace).
Attend Law classes about lethal stuff (Andrew Branca)
Sign-up to train under Zach Harrison Sept 7-9 2018 (Northern Red)
Get back into 3-gun.
Carry bandaids;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews