JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think there are a lot of variables such as what species are you hunting and where at? Ducks out of a blind would be different for me than hunting deer with a high powered rifle in shrub/steppe.

Camo is cute and sells quite a bit but I don't buy into it as a game changer. What would our grandfathers wear when hunting? Mine would be hunting in blue jeans and some sort of flannel.

See Dr. Terkla in said apparel:

I have to laugh and wonder a bit when I watch hunting shows where the stars are dressed to the nines in the newest best camo design and then topped with some blaze orange vest/hat creation.

Watch some African hunting shows. Some of the trackers can be seen wearing gaudy blue jumpsuits.

If you are planning an ambush hunt some camo probably wouldn't hurt provided the wind is favorable.

Wind and movement is the key here.

As an aside, when I hunted in Africa I could distinctly smell cologne (and I have crappy male olfactory perception) on my PH which freaked me out every day, but every day we got an animal....

Bowhunter here.... Camo clothing makes a difference. Really. It should also keep you more comfortable outside, so there is that to consider, too.
Why would camo clothing make a difference, or make you more comfortable than non-camo?
If I need an extra outer layer because it is colder than I initially prepared for, I have a set of coveralls I can put on...

Yes, don't need anything special going for elk in Coast Range with your bow. There are even some decent public land places for your tree stand where you can where whatever you want.

And of course, there is seldom any water or weather at the coast. So your clothing, jeans or flannel, don't need need to be water resistant or waterproof. It never really rains there. Plus heavy mist, rain and fog, are rare, except for most days during fall and early winter season. You don't need quiet or durable clothing either. There is a delightful variety of thorned foliage (salmon berry, blackberry, devils club, just to name few), coupled with heavy brush and water-laden conifer branches that don't catch on your clothing or even get it wet. Finally, the easy terrain and moderate weather, especially during late fall and early winter (blacktail 2nd season) means you can pretty much wear anything. Getting within 40 yards of the always plentiful elk herds on the west side in my bright red flannel shirt is a breeze.

But I do love my Filson canvas pants. So camo not always, but definitely most of the time I'm bow hunting the Coast Range.

Last Edited:
Definitely depends on distance, but movement, sounds, and scent will give your position away more often then the color as long as it isn't designed to attract the eye compared to the surroundings.

I wear bright colors as camo in the city. I wear earth tones as camo in the woods. I don't hunt, but I do like to blend in.

Yes, don't need anything special going for elk in Coast Range with your bow. There are even some decent public land places for your tree stand where you can where whatever you want.

And of course, the there is seldom any water or weather at the coast. So your clothing, jeans or flannel, don't need need to be water resistant or waterproof. It never really rains there. Plus heavy mist, rain and fog, are rare, except for most days during fall and early winter season. You don't need quiet or durable clothing either. There is a delightful variety of thorned foliage (salmon berry, blackberry, devils club, just to name few), coupled with heavy brush and water-laden conifer branches that don't catch on your clothing or even get it wet. Finally, the easy terrain and moderate weather, especially during late fall and early winter (blacktail 2nd season) make means you can pretty much wear anything. Getting within 40 yards of the always plentiful elk herds on the west side in my bright red flannel shirt is a breeze.

But I do love my Filson canvas pants. So camo not always, but definitely most of the time I'm bow hunting the Coast Range.
Oh yes. I completely agree with everything you wrote. There is just no denying that the Tioga Unit in particular is just a little slice of heaven. I often hunt that unit in a bright yellow tank top with shorts and tennis shoes. Although, you definitely need to plan on spending at least a day and a half there if you want to be sure to fill your elk tag.

Edit to add: I see you are in Washington. Pretty much the same on the Oregon coast.

What ever is on sale or clearance that fits me, is soft and comfortable and season appropriate.
Deer is a lot warmer an drier than second season elk. That doesn't mean I can't use it. None of my camo really matches. But I like to sport it during hunting season.
Wind, movement and sounds are the real factors.

There are studies on ungulates and camo patterns and what animals see (assuming big game here). We haven't even gotten to your EMF discharge. HECS-Camo is the best. :D

You can still wash your $1200 camo with UV-brightener detergents and show up like a beacon of light in the woods (if you believe that animals see into the UV spectrum)

There are great patterns and not so great patterns. I'm a fan of macro-patterns (Predator, ASAT, Gulch, etc) where there's larger patches of contrasting colors to break up the human outline. Micro-patterns (MossyOak or "I'm a tree") are typically blend together are too dark and when viewed at distance is just a big dark blob.

Not a fan of digi-camo patterns, or kuiu except around the campfire.

Regardless, if you are loud, moving, or stinky, camo isn't going to save you, only make your wallet lighter.

I wear neon and purple in Portland and at Richard Simmon memorial events. ;)

I've got some projects I'm planning out. These are the camo fabrics I have on hand, under 5,000K white balance LED light plus natural overcast conditions. Clockwise from USGI Woodland cotton? BDU fabric, US 500D AOR2/Navy work uniform type 2, 330D Multicam, 1000D 3-color Desert and finally, Hyperstealth Spec4ce/Afghan Digital forest nylon/cotton BDU fabric. 20210210_161706.jpg

EDit. The Afghan Digital Forest will be either in an anorak/parka type top, or combat shirt,and maybe a pair of trousers. The BDU woodland fabric is for repairs/outfits, possibly for the baby. The desert is a scrap fabric, the Multicam is part of an OLD project I never got around finishing.... the AOR2 fabric will be for a prototype chest rig. I have 1000D Afghan Digital forest fabric for chest rigs/plate carrier to match the top

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top