JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am 55 and have never hunted with camo. Yet I see others wearing nothing but camo. I don't need a lesson on how it works but rather how many people won't hunt without it and why. I really am impressed with Gulch Camo. What do you wear and why is it the best?

I wear some camo, some earth tone clothes, sometimes just what I have on for the day. It really depends on what I'm hunting and the weather. Camo can be great... but there's tens of thousands of years of human history where they just wore what they had...

I've been predominantly bow hunting for the past twenty years. Until then, I wore red or orange and only rifle hunted. I am now a firm believer in wearing camo while hunting. As for type/pattern etc., I can't honestly say one is better than the other. When I arrowed my biggest bull, I was wearing a fairly high dollar camo top by Under Armour. However, I was wearing a $30 packable camo raincoat from Sportsman's Warehouse over it at the time, so I don't think the bull had a chance to be impressed. Last year, it was late in the hunt when I arrowed a spike bull from 20 yards. He walked right past me and there wasn't much brush to hide behind. Because it was late in the hunt, I was down to my least favorite clothes in order to have something that didn't stink. In this case it was some 20 year-old Predator camo that had been washed many times. The spike looked right through and past me.

When I rifle hunt - Spring bears for instance - I do wear camo now. I usually carry one of those orange and black camo vests in my backpack and will wear it when I think there might be other hunters around. Most of the hunting I do is in the National Forest, but there aren't lots of other hunters where I am. A friend of mine had the theory that he wore camo during rifle season, because that way other hunters couldn't even see him, so they wouldn't mistake him for game. He may be right. I had a mushroom picker walk within 10 feet of me one time while I was camoed up. I held completely still and he walked right past me.

I haven't heard of Gulch Camo, but now I'm curious and will have to Google it. I have many different types - Mossy Oak, Realtree, Predator, Kings and more. What works best? Even with 20 years of experience, I still can't say. Anymore, when buying new stuff, I'm more focused on quality materials and comfort than camo pattern. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I think it's a benefit for bow hunting. Any advantage you can get to confuse an animal's senses is a plus, even if it's just for a moment.
I also think it's very beneficial for hunting turkeys but muted colors will work if you keep movement to a minimum.

Totally depends on where, how and what you are hunting. Bowhunting, turkeys, antelope and elk require all the help you can get.
That said, keeping stink down is much more important. The new RealmossyOaktree patterns are mostly marketing. Their pattern does not break up your form in the way the oldPredator patterns did. Just squint your eyes to go blurry when you look at the next ad you see for the stuff or better yet, a picture of your buddy trying to hide. That's why ghillie suits work so well. Too hard to hunt in one though, if any weather at all. Also it's why the old time plaid wooly jackets had broad lines and squares. Breaking form.
I wear it but as Bobbygun said I choose for clothing properties like waterproof or warmth or silence more than concealment.
Also I now have blaze orange in some form with me always. Just a bit more cautious and smarter in my old age.
Hope that helps.

Mossy Oak, Real Tree, Under Armor desert sage, and blaze orange for the birds.. I have bow hunted mostly over the last 24 years and have even taken one elk in my blue jeans with a checkered plaid shirt on...I have found the "best"is being still and not letting the animals see movement is the biggest asset with some kind of cover to break up your shape. For bird hunting, I dress like the farmworkers...with blaze orange of course :s0112:

I don't hunt without orange, so for me camo is kind of moot. Got scoped from the road a few years back when I was blacktail colored and had to wave like a madman to get the point across I'm human. Since then, there's always orange on me. Last deer i shot I was walking at a pretty brisk pace and bright like a beacon and still got a good broadside shot. I think luck has a lot more to do with it than some want to give credit for.

That being said, some of my hunting gear is in fact camo, but only because the item I wanted didn't come in non-camo options and nearly every hunter I know wears camo of some sort or another. In my opinion, woodland camo from the surplus store will do just fine

Earth toned pants and a flannel works for me when hunting....unless I am hunting in my rendezvous outfit...which is again , earth tones / natural colors.
At times , when required , I will wear blaze orange.

I had my fill of camo clothing while in the Army...and to honest , I have never found the need for it while hunting.
It seems to me , that movement , noise and scent , are more of a concern , than breaking up my outline , when I hunt.
Andy

From my experience it's about the hunter not the clothes.

Animals don't care what you wear. They care how you smell and how (If) you move.

Archery is a different beast. I think good camo comes in handy but the first two still apply.
You can have the best camo in the world but if you can't move in a stealth manner and/or you smell like humans your busted

It doesn't matter as much as everyone wants it to.

I *like* camo, but I no way consider it necessary. I use Firstlite, Kuiu, Kryptek, Sitka and other brands of hunting gear, but mostly because it fits me well, dries quick, keeps me dry and lasts longer than most the junk you get at retail outlets these days. The most important thing: no cotton! It looks expensive, but get it on sale, and amortize it over the years I've already had it and will continue to have it, it costs almost nothing, especially compared to all the other hunting gear that's necessary.

I haven't found it matters for archery either. I killed an elk at 35 yards who was staring right at me for several minutes. I had on a Firstlite camo jacket, brown pants and a face mask. I'm not sure if he was just trying to figure out what the hell he was looking at, wonderying why I was wearing different brands of clothing, or if the little bit of camo I had actually made a difference. Either way, he tasted great!

Don't overthink it. Get gear that fits and isn't going to annoy you out in the field.

It doesn't matter as much as everyone wants it to.

I *like* camo, but I no way consider it necessary. I use Firstlite, Kuiu, Kryptek, Sitka and other brands of hunting gear, but mostly because it fits me well, dries quick, keeps me dry and lasts longer than most the junk you get at retail outlets these days. The most important thing: no cotton! It looks expensive, but get it on sale, and amortize it over the years I've already had it and will continue to have it, it costs almost nothing, especially compared to all the other hunting gear that's necessary.

I haven't found it matters for archery either. I killed an elk at 35 yards who was staring right at me for several minutes. I had on a Firstlite camo jacket, brown pants and a face mask. I'm not sure if he was just trying to figure out what the hell he was looking at, wonderying why I was wearing different brands of clothing, or if the little bit of camo I had actually made a difference. Either way, he tasted great!

Don't overthink it. Get gear that fits and isn't going to annoy you out in the field.

Most likely he was thinking, "WTF, now I've seen everything, if this is what the worlds come to I want out of it".

I am 55 and have never hunted with camo. .... What do you wear and why is it the best?
I wear whatever the weather demands, but in 54+ years I have never worn camo to hunt, only to conceal myself from incoming fire.

Here is a hint: Go out in the wood during not-hunting time, regular street clothes. Take not of how many deer look at you but are NOT nervous and startled.
Now thing about the change of clothing during hunting season, and the deer are skittish... why do you think that is?

Bowhunter here. Started hunting before camo approximately 50 years ago.. Camo clothing makes a difference. Really. It should also keep you more comfortable outside, so there is that to consider, too.

I have tried multiple brands, all have pros and cons. For me personally, Sitka has worked the best in terms of comfort, durability, and camouflage-ish. Yes, it costs an arm and a leg, and best fits certain body types, but it works and it lasts.

And when I rifle hunt, which is much less, I do wear orange. So outside of bowhunting, it probably is less important but I will still take every advantage I can when I am hunting big game or waterfowl.

I typically use camo, I dog hunt mostly. I like under armour and kryptek. To be honest, the best summer stuff I like is old crappy Army UCPs that I dye. (They finally work!)

The others are for winter to keep my butt warm, I get cold easy as I was in Alaska and too tough to care back then.

maxresdefault.jpg

Most every money shot I have involves a blaze orange vest. From 50 yards to 125, none of these animals seemed to mind.

13E1B099-03B2-47EE-9CA8-A28449ACBAC8.jpeg

236A7DE5-E123-4463-9347-46FFA0776177.png

263566AB-F2B5-4F25-9688-A9E634331BF4.jpeg

It's movement and scent that gets you, not what you're wearing.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads