JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To start off, I have never got the opportunity to fire a Binary trigger system but am very interested in dropping one into my AK47. I hate the stock trigger, so Im looking around for options. Well.. most of the high end trigger systems are sold out. Im talking $100+ triggers. I came across a binary trigger from franklin Armory for about $500.

Link here
Franklin Armory® BFSIII™ AK-C1

My original search was for a cleaner, crisper and minimal trigger pull. What should I expect from a binary? What is the trigger pull like? My stock trigger allows me to feel the aggressive nature of this beast, and its not comfortable to say the least.

binary trigger.jpg

I have the AR variant of the Franklin Armory Binary on a PSA AR9. The trigger pull is as smooth as the PSA enhanced trigger.

I was just looking last night for the BFS III AK9-C1 for my PSA AK-V 9mm. I definitely think they are worth the price. And if the AK variant isn't as good as the AR, then I would be disappointed.

wow! $500
long time ago someone showed me how to make my M1A binary using a bent piece of bobby pin. it was fun for a while but wasteful of ammunition.

Many firing mechanisms for semi-auto rifles that have a secondary/safety sear can be made into a binary trigger by separating the two sears further apart. The key is to not separate them so far that the hammer follows the bolt every time. On an AK this can be done by placing a bit of feeler gauge under bottom of the secondary sear (not the sear surface itself, but where the bottom of the sear rests against the bottom of the receiver). It varies by rifle, but something between 0.05" and 0.15" is a place to start. Feeler gauge sets are cheap and easy to get, but each gauge sheet will need to be modified to fit - cut into a smaller strip.

Even after doing that, the hammer will occasionally follow the bolt when it closes, requiring the shooter to eject the live cartridge and start over again. There is also the problem that once the trigger is pulled, the release will always fire the next cartridge. Generally, creating a binary trigger this way is not desirable in the long term. I only mention it to explain how it works - I don't recommend someone try to do this themselves.

Commercial binary triggers are a lot more sophisticated than this, and rarely will the hammer follow the bolt closed, and some may preclude that happening altogether. The expensive ones also have a way of stopping the firing on release, and have additional safety features.

For the AK, if you want a binary trigger without the bells and whistles, but more reliable than creating one yourself, I suggest looking at this:

Out of curiosity, for what purpose?

Fun. It is a LOT of fun.

Not sure if it is $500 worth of fun though - not including ammo. Depends on your budget.

Personally, given the current/future political situation, I prefer a good smooth light trigger that is fast. I have seen vids of people using a Geisselle trigger almost as fast as a binary trigger, and there is less chance of it being outlawed since it only fires on pull - i.e., not binary.

Binary triggers are tons of fun. I find firing the first round off via a pull, then holding the trigger down, on release-pull, doubles taps are stupid fast. Much faster than trying to pull-release.

The semi auto trigger isn't exactly an upgrade for any of the platforms I've shot them in.

They aren't nearly as fun as bumpstocks were.

I miss bumpsaws....

I have the BFS III in a pistol AR, and I love it. Best when used with a CMMG .22LR conversion bolt for cheaper fun. As for the trigger feel, it is fine. When you are doing mag dumps in binary mode it does not really matter. If you are putting a binary trigger into anything, accuracy is not at the top of your list for that gun so a good enough trigger is all you need.

1594857654579.png

Last Edited:
I have the AR variant of the Franklin Armory Binary on a PSA AR9. The trigger pull is as smooth as the PSA enhanced trigger.

I was just looking last night for the BFS III AK9-C1 for my PSA AK-V 9mm. I definitely think they are worth the price. And if the AK variant isn't as good as the AR, then I would be disappointed.
we were probably researching at the same time last night! haha

thank you for the input, Im also hoping for similar results

Many firing mechanisms for semi-auto rifles that have a secondary/safety sear can be made into a binary trigger by separating the two sears further apart. The key is to not separate them so far that the hammer follows the bolt every time. On an AK this can be done by placing a bit of feeler gauge under bottom of the secondary sear (not the sear surface itself, but where the bottom of the sear rests against the bottom of the receiver). It varies by rifle, but something between 0.05" and 0.15" is a place to start. Feeler gauge sets are cheap and easy to get, but each gauge sheet will need to be modified to fit - cut into a smaller strip.

Even after doing that, the hammer will occasionally follow the bolt when it closes, requiring the shooter to eject the live cartridge and start over again. There is also the problem that once the trigger is pulled, the release will always fire the next cartridge. Generally, creating a binary trigger this way is not desirable in the long term. I only mention it to explain how it works - I don't recommend someone try to do this themselves.

Commercial binary triggers are a lot more sophisticated than this, and rarely will the hammer follow the bolt closed, and some may preclude that happening altogether. The expensive ones also have a way of stopping the firing on release, and have additional safety features.

For the AK, if you want a binary trigger without the bells and whistles, but more reliable than creating one yourself, I suggest looking at this:

on the last part there, ya. It has full safe, single and double actions. Im still learning

I have the BFS III in a pistol AR, and I love it. Best when used with a CMMG .22LR conversion bolt for cheaper fun. As for the trigger feel, it is fine. When you are doing mag dumps in binary mode it does not really matter. If you are putting a binary trigger into anything, accuracy is not at the top of your list for that gun so a good enough trigger is all you need.

View attachment 722965

View attachment 722968
first off, shes beautiful! I was wondering about accuracy. Dont get me wrong, the AK platform is fairly accurate but we all know its also very fun to unload a 30 rd mag as fast as you can!
I do wonder how the bolt and gas tube are going to react to the double action.

Binary triggers are tons of fun. I find firing the first round off via a pull, then holding the trigger down, on release-pull, doubles taps are stupid fast. Much faster than trying to pull-release.

The semi auto trigger isn't exactly an upgrade for any of the platforms I've shot them in.

They aren't nearly as fun as bumpstocks were.

I miss bumpsaws....

ive never seen that variant of bumper, when i was looking at putting one on my rifle in about 2013, the only one was a whole solid stock design. I went with the recoil absorbing, 3 position folding stock with battery compartment.

Im thinking that if im on foot or just not in prone, a binary would be more accurate due to the control of when each bullet leaves the barrel. it may also give my stock a reason to fuction lol

Out of curiosity, for what purpose?
i mentioned in another reply that its simply fun to unload cheap steel shell ammo with no care of accuracy. from what im reading, the trigger pull is smooth as butter, which is part of what im looking for. With the full control of each round, unlike bumpstocks, accuracy can be easier to achieve. Thanks for asking!

I had one until the profit of selling it nudged my capitalism.

Fun but ammo hogs and without a lot of practice to get a good cadence, it's not smooth.

We sell ALOT of binary's here in the shop. Most popular is the Franklin setup for the AR's. We have alot of clients running the binary with a CMMG 22lr Conversion and having an absolutely blast. We do have some of the 10/22 Binarys on pre order but we have not had any of the AK variants in so cannot speak to those except do not pay the full $500.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top