JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, with all the talk about ar rifles lately, ive been thinking about building or buying a good ar10. I have a few ar15's now, but felt like i need an ar10. I also need to start off by saying i dont want a DPMS, Delton, Aero precision. For some reason, those just dont turn my crank. Id like to ask those of you that have good ar10 rifles, to share your experiences. Im talking PSA10, Diamondback DB10, armelite ar10, or even the high end rifles that i could only dream of like the GAP10, Larue, LMT, and Les Baer. Show pics and let us know how well they shoot and how well they run. Thanks

Love my piston powered Ruger SR762. It comes well equipped with some nice furniture and it's been rock solid over the first 500 or so rounds. No FTE, light strikes or FTF have been experienced. The gas piston is easy to remove for cleaning and it seems to trap most of the residue generated by the ammo. The star chamber and barrel remain relatively clean.

Being a shorter barrel (16") I suspect longer range accuracy (beyond 500 yds) is probably not up to what you can achieve with a longer barreled .308/7.62x51 but that's what BDC's on good scopes help with. At 100 to 300 yds it's a one MOA rifle if I do my job and am using PRVI Partizan 145 gr. FMJBT ammo.

I've used some heavier stuff (150, 165 & 168 gr) but not enough to really dial it in with those bullet weights. 145 gr seems to do the job, availability is good and it's generally priced pretty well. If you hit someone in the face with a 145 gr. round it's still gonna hurt 'em.

Here's the beast with the Nikon M-308 optic & Harris bi-pod on it:

021817%2001_zpshm4pxrol.jpg

I added a Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake and it really made a difference in muzzle rise. It also barks a bit more than it did. :D

7.62%20muzzle%20brake_zpsybuyu0eq.jpg

Ruger supplies the SR line with their "Elite 452", 4.5 lb two stage trigger. It's better than the standard mil-spec triggers but it could be better. I have an SR556 as well and just had Jeremy at LuckySG install an Elftmann ELF-SE-C trigger in it. I can tell, just by dry fire and reset testing, that I'm gonna like it much better.

The Ruger SR line is not the cheapest but they come feature packed with good specs which is why I chose mine

Good luck with your search.

Be aware that no standard exists with the .308 AR's. Many follow the DOMS pattern but that's no guarantee they will work together. I suggest sticking to one manufacturer. Aero precision makes nice stuff and have seen some deals on their M5 upper/lower/handguard sets lately. I really like my PA-10. I have a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. I converted my Gen 2 to 6.5 Creedmoor. Both have been great.

whats wrong with dpms? i have a dpms recon gen 1 and its awesome. rings steel at 1000yards no problem. many companies who offer a 308 AR pattern rifle follow the dpms pattern so they must be doing something right? its a good rifle. i hunt deer with it

E4E32AAA-960F-4E23-BBB4-B6F03BEA9BBA.jpeg

Funny you say no DPMS or Aero but say Palmetto or a Diamondback is ok? Imo most would flip that around. If it were me I would build the rifle on an Areo M5 receiver set and build it how you like with the parts that fit what you want the rifle to do. If anything build or buy one made on a short receiver.

Respectfully ...

I am left handed. Pretty much restricts me to Stag Arms. Their AR10 type receivers are proprietary. DPMS compatible or so the Stag Arms folks say over the many phone calls. Probably will go with 7.62x51. An older A2 style standard butt stock with the cleaning kit space beckons Definitely a retro LH model.

Twenty inch 1x10 barrel. No chrome. Threaded muzzle. Probably will run standard A2 style hand guards with the aluminum delta ring and the round front cap. Taper pin OEM A2 front irons with the A2 front iron square post. A2 standard pistol grip. Detachable A2 top handle with OEM A2 rear iron sights.

Do I build it or do I let Stag Arms build it? Would I ever be happy with their build quality? That is the big question right now. If I built it the build would take all day and a 100 yard bench rest. I do not know if Stag Arms would be willing to do that at their price. I do not have any of the goodies to build another.

Thus the dilemma.

hundreds of AR15 builds but not one AR10. :(

Equal paragraph lengths futile but fun.

Last Edited:
That's what I was thinking too.

You guys can think what you want. I don't want "DPMS" on MY rifle.. Nuff said about that..;) The nice thing about building one of these rifles, is you can taylor it to suit your needs. No one else has to like it, but you have to be happy with the build. Now buying one, I don't care it can even say Armalite on it and it wouldn't hurt my feelings either. As long as it functions reliably and shoots good. I used to think I'd like to have the ability to use P-mags too, and with Armalite, you don't get that option. However I'm just about ready to hit the buy it now button on one here locally.

Hey guys, with all the talk about ar rifles lately, ive been thinking about building or buying a good ar10. I have a few ar15's now, but felt like i need an ar10. I also need to start off by saying i dont want a DPMS, Delton, Aero precision. For some reason, those just dont turn my crank. Id like to ask those of you that have good ar10 rifles, to share your experiences. Im talking PSA10, Diamondback DB10, armelite ar10, or even the high end rifles that i could only dream of like the GAP10, Larue, LMT, and Les Baer. Show pics and let us know how well they shoot and how well they run. Thanks

PSA free floated AR10 upper with BCG and charging handle.
PSA lower. Comes out to about $700 ish depending on the sale you buy during.

Larue MBT2S trigger on sale for $100

Then find yourself a deal from primary arms like I just found and get a 4x14x44 FFP 30mm illuminated moa grid scope for $229 including mount and shipping.

Total investment, about $1029. Final outcome is a complete AR10 free floated with very nice two stage trigger and a 4x14 30mm FFP scope that is practical for a AR10

Use the US bank Cash plus signature visa with 5% category on "sporting goods" selected to save and pay 977.55

I don't work for US bank but I used to, and I still use that card for all hobby purchases. I don't work for PSA or primary arms, but I buy from them often and have found both companies products to work very well.

Areo M5 build ! :D
Keep with the same brand parts !

Yes, what he said, AR10's are not standardized like AR15's. One brands parts may not work perfectly with another brand. Whatever route you go brand wise, it would be prudent to use their parts when building, if building.

Personally I have always bought because I could buy exactly what I wanted cheaper than I could build it. (I don't count swapping triggers building)

whats wrong with dpms? i have a dpms recon gen 1 and its awesome. rings steel at 1000yards no problem. many companies who offer a 308 AR pattern rifle follow the dpms pattern so they must be doing something right? its a good rifle. i hunt deer with it

View attachment 445966
The DPMS/SR25 pattern is the original AR-10 magazine pattern. Armalite used modified M14 magazines to bypass the AWB.

So the pattern being the original, and the military using it (to an extent) plays a role in it being popular.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top