JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I drink Peet's Major D and Italian roasts for my daily cup of joy, but my favorite brew anywhere is in Cannon Beach. The Sleepy Monks Monastery Blend makes me very, very happy. Bring back a pound or two every trip, and have others trained to do the same for me ;-)

My daughter used to work at Starbucks, but before that I used to drink 7/11 crap and I had no idea it was crap. That is untill she started bringing me home all this free coffee. Oh boy my eyes were opened. To the OP yes when you get the coffee from them is did always seem to be burnt, but the beans are awesome to make at home yourself. I love the dark roasts. The best, most pure way for good coffe is a French press. It's the only way to go if you love coffee.

First off, let me state that for the longest time, I HATED coffee with a passion. That is, until a coffee snob opened my eyes to what coffee should be.

To those of you who drink coffee from Charbucks, or make drip pot coffee at home, this post is especially for you. At some point in your life, I strongly urge you to try either a coffee or latte from freshly roasted beans (I'm particular to coffee from Central America because it is smooth and not overpowering.) It will change your coffee expectations entirely! If you happen to live in Portland, do yourself a favor and go to a coffee shop where they roast one of the local beans (i.e Stumptown.) I have loved coffee ever since, and hope to perfect my crafting of the perfect latte. Delicious brew from Stumptown!!!

This link is hilarious, but not kid friendly (language). Hope that is not against the rules. This is the first "Foamy the Squirrel" cartoon I saw years ago, and I think my 17 year old son has watched every single one, LOL.

Starschmucks

I used to be a Starbucks addict, but I've recovered nicely.

I've been using Gevalia French Roast for the past year or so and like it quite a bit. I use a Melitta #2 filter and make it by the cup. There's not many choices for coffee in the G.P. area, so it's a 12oz. quad Americano that's my usual drink at the Dutch Bros. coffee shop downtown. On occasion I'll get the same at the Human Bean.

My favorite coffee is actually Aged Sumatran, but I haven't found it around here.

Don't you guys roast your own beans in an airpopper every morning? Heathens!

just kidding

I tried that....roasting is more of an art than brewing....I gave up quickly.
As for coffee.....go check out big mountain coffee in depoe bay. The owner operator roast all his own stuff and has about 10 different veriatals. He has blends and single origin stuff. Its absolutely fantastic. "The grizz" is my favorite.
Chemex and pour-over is good for sure. For full punch I imstill prefer my french press.....but for my daily different in the morning my aeropress can't be beat. What a clean and full bodied cup that thing can make!

This whole thread has been torture. I gave up the coffee about 9 months ago. It makes my stomach feel like I swallowed a whole lot of glass. This brings back all the memories. Trying coffee Luwak in Bali (not worth the money), the ginseng coffee was much better. Sipping on the morning dopio on my drive to work. Being mocked at fancy coffee shops when I asked for sugar.. I really really miss drinking coffee.

How important is a "burr" grinder to making good espresso/Latte? I was researching a new espresso machine. My current $100.00 Krups espresso machine is a couple years old now and could use an update. So many reviews I've seen on espresso machines in the 200-400 dollar range list problem after problem...... One site suggested that if you have $500.00 to spend, spend half of that on a good grinder and the other half on the coffee machine. I've been using the same ten dollar blade grinder for 5 years now and I see the same problems with the burr grinder reviews as I see with the mid priced espresso machines. I will say that my $100.00 coffee machine has saved my wife and I thousands of dollars at the Starbucks or other local coffee houses over the past couple years + I get the type of beans I want, so I see the money as an investment for the next several years ahead.

PS: This post is not for the guy who said " Folgers " ;)

Ditch the blade "grinder" (should be called "chopper" :)). I have recently bought a new grinder (Baratza Preciso), to replace my Gaggia MDF which runs on a European voltage. If you want to try the MDF for some time with the bulky transformer I bought (not the best, but it works), let me know. The burrs should be replaced, but it still grinds OK. Better than your blade chopper. :)

Like anything, with coffee gear you'll also see smaller increments in quality the more money you put in. I tickled myself with a decent dual boiler E61 PID-controlled espresso machine and the grinder was definitely needed (I use the word "need" but am really stretching the meaning here ;)). Going from this model to something fancier would cost a lot more money for relatively little return. That is better invested in skill than gear first.

Don't worry about reviews, a $5000 machine will still be killed in review by some due to whatever thingie they don't like about it.

Ditch the blade "grinder" (should be called "chopper" :)). I have recently bought a new grinder (Baratza Preciso), to replace my Gaggia MDF which runs on a European voltage. If you want to try the MDF for some time with the bulky transformer I bought (not the best, but it works), let me know. The burrs should be replaced, but it still grinds OK. Better than your blade chopper. :)

Like anything, with coffee gear you'll also see smaller increments in quality the more money you put in. I tickled myself with a decent dual boiler E61 PID-controlled espresso machine and the grinder was definitely needed (I use the word "need" but am really stretching the meaning here ;)). Going from this model to something fancier would cost a lot more money for relatively little return. That is better invested in skill than gear first.

Don't worry about reviews, a $5000 machine will still be killed in review by some due to whatever thingie they don't like about it.

Thanks for reply.
That's kinda funny that I was looking at the Gaggia as it seemed appearance wise to be the most friendly for direct to espresso coffee holder filling. It had some bad reviews related to poor power. Bet that the European power was the issue. The Baratza was mentioned in the article I was referring to as a good name in grinders. Of course the "reviews" on it are all over the field as well. "too loud" Doesn't like dark oily beans, cheap plastic bean holder that comes cracked from the shipping, etc........

They're sold with proper 110V motors too, without the need for a transformer. I used to live in Europe, so that's why. :)

Keep in mind they're reviews and they compare an entry level machine to much more expensive stuff. The MDF is relatively slow and relatively loud. Meaning it's louder than my Baratza and slower too. My Baratza is louder than big commercial (-style) grinders too, but it's $300 instead of $700 (and up :)). In terms of quality, the MDF is built like a brick and if you don't manhandle the doser lever it'll last for a long time. I see some coffee 'dust', but the burrs are well overdue for replacement (around $55 to $60). The Baratza in some areas feels less sturdy, but is great for home use.

I haven't had the issues you describe with the Baratza. I'm not sure about the dark oily beans, but then again I prefer lighter roasts. All parts were OK for me, and volume was lower than the MDF. It is louder than fancier grinders, but those are also bigger on the countertop which influences the SWMBO factor. :)

But don't let yourself get too worked up over reviews, most importantly is to set a budget first before you start looking at things.

Concerning grinders, regardless of the brand or style, learn how to use the grinder correctly. You can still burn the coffee by running the grinder too long - blade or burr type. Some say that the tamp is also just as important for pulling the perfect shot.

I only go to Starbucks to torture the barristas - I usually order a "jumbo". If the barrista pops an attitude and says something like "You mean a venti, our drinks are short, tall, grande, and venti". I respond "I mean a JUMBO - the biggest size you have, or si mi piacerebbe per completare l'ordine in italiano if you prefer." So far I've been safe and nobody has taken me up on my offer since except for that phrase my Italian consists of ciao, arrivederci, and spaghetti.

Kirkland at home in the drip system, San Francisco bay French roast in the Keurig at work. Good enough for me - I'm just lookin' for caffiene and not a big fan of robusto.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top