JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have ordered from Kuma Coffee a couple of times. I like the idea of direct trade and finding the coffee-bean-growing masters among the large corporate growers. I worked with Mark's wife's family at their Sunset Bay Golf course for quite a few years. Nice family, great country ethics, and good coffee!

Kuma Coffee

Im a serious coffee snob. Much to my detriment, because it usually means I take someone's advice on where to get a good shot and wind up walking away dissapointed and a few bucks poorer.

I have a commercial grinder (most important single thing a coffee snob can own) and a commercial espresso machine at the house, and use them daily. It's as complicated as reloading: brush out the grinder, warm the cup, weigh the beans, grind them, clean the portafilter, fill it, agitate the grinds in the portafilter to redistribute evenly, run the machine till the boiler kicks on, tamp the grinds, empty the warming water from the shot, put an empty cup on the scale to zero it out, put the portafilter on the machine 4-5 secs after the boiler cycles off, simultaneously start the machine and a stopwatch on the iPhone, pull the espresso as close to 24 secs as possible, weigh the cup and espresso to confirm its near 28 grams, make necessary adjustments to bring the espresso closer to desired parameters. It's fun stuff, seriously!

As for coffees, I prefer acidic, fruity coffees, like Africans and natural proces. I love Rwandan, ethiopian, Somali, and especially Sumatran (I know, it's not African). They have an entirely different set of flavored from the south American coffees, which are generally " and "chocolatey". And freshness of roasted beans is everything! A coffee roasted yesterday is night and day different from a coffee roasted last month.

You guys have to try Sterling, it's in NW PDX, and is one of the only places that I have consistently gotten a delicious, magical, ridiculously-amazing shot, EVERYTIME I go. I usually seek out the best espresso in every city I visit (recently NYC, Vancouver BC, among others) and nothing comes close to Sterling. They always have 2 single origins on tap. I can't speak for anything but espresso, because seriously: why bother :)

Other PDX spots with a good shot of joe are Coava, extracto, and heart. Consistency is everything, and also the most difficult aspect of brewing good espresso, and for consistency, none of them touch Sterling. YMMV. Cheers!

I like my coffee like I like my women - tall, dark, strong, and bitter.

OK, actually my preferred woman is shorter than me, fair, and has a pretty sunny disposition, so that's not true.

However, I do like coffee strong enough to spread on toast. I do find Starbucks to be the best coffee and like their Dark Morning Joe. Take your coffee maker basket, fill it up with coffee, fill the tank up with water, turn it on, and wah-lah, perfection.

I don't like most commercial coffees because they're not bitter...I like a strong bite in my coffee.

I like most of the Starbucks home blends, but Dark Morning Joe is my favorite.

Coincidentally, I also like a strong caffeine buzz :)

I love good coffee. The heavier the better. If you can see through it, it's swill.

My wife is not a coffee drinker and she used to get after me for some times
drinking a cup of coffee cold. I told her, "good coffee is still good hot, or cold.

Jack...:cool:

I prefer Columbians, in a medium roast.
Kenyan and other similars, all work for me.
I drink plain ole folgers at home.
I'm about due for some more poopoo coffee soon though.
(Kopi luwac)

Im a serious coffee snob. Much to my detriment, because it usually means I take someone's advice on where to get a good shot and wind up walking away dissapointed and a few bucks poorer.

I have a commercial grinder (most important single thing a coffee snob can own) and a commercial espresso machine at the house, and use them daily. It's as complicated as reloading: brush out the grinder, warm the cup, weigh the beans, grind them, clean the portafilter, fill it, agitate the grinds in the portafilter to redistribute evenly, run the machine till the boiler kicks on, tamp the grinds, empty the warming water from the shot, put an empty cup on the scale to zero it out, put the portafilter on the machine 4-5 secs after the boiler cycles off, simultaneously start the machine and a stopwatch on the iPhone, pull the espresso as close to 24 secs as possible, weigh the cup and espresso to confirm its near 28 grams, make necessary adjustments to bring the espresso closer to desired parameters. It's fun stuff, seriously!

As for coffees, I prefer acidic, fruity coffees, like Africans and natural proces. I love Rwandan, ethiopian, Somali, and especially Sumatran (I know, it's not African). They have an entirely different set of flavored from the south American coffees, which are generally " and "chocolatey". And freshness of roasted beans is everything! A coffee roasted yesterday is night and day different from a coffee roasted last month.

You guys have to try Sterling, it's in NW PDX, and is one of the only places that I have consistently gotten a delicious, magical, ridiculously-amazing shot, EVERYTIME I go. I usually seek out the best espresso in every city I visit (recently NYC, Vancouver BC, among others) and nothing comes close to Sterling. They always have 2 single origins on tap. I can't speak for anything but espresso, because seriously: why bother :)

Other PDX spots with a good shot of joe are Coava, extracto, and heart. Consistency is everything, and also the most difficult aspect of brewing good espresso, and for consistency, none of them touch Sterling. YMMV. Cheers!

I hear ya:
espresso_bar.jpg

If you like Kona coffee then you should give other tropical coffee grown in volcanic soils. Kauai coffee is pretty close to Kona and is a bit cheaper as it doesn't have the Kona name. One of my favorites is Sumatran light roast - full body and low acid like Kona. Java is similar to Sumatran but often a bit more expensive. Blue Mountain Jamaican is excellent as well but often costs more than Kona.
Remember - the darker the roast the more caffeine that is burned out of the bean.
As for Starbucks - they do over roast most all of their beans. My favorite coffee plantation in Kona is Greenwell farms. Last time I was there I was talking to one of the owners and asked how it was that starbucks could stay in business in the Kona area. He said that he doesn't like to admit it but they do supply Starbucks with at least some of their Kona beans - he said that they buy the bottom 3 grades of beans (smaller beans) and that those grades of beans have less oils in them - hence they have to roast them more to get more coffee flavor. That said - I do appreciate the fact that Starbucks supports OC/CC in their shops and I do recall that some of the Pete's stores do post no firearms allowed.

Costco's coffee is really good, not the Kirkland Signature coffee in the can but the Coffee that they roast in the store and you grind it yourself. I like to make it a percolator.

Can't hardly get through the day without my STUMP TOWN COFFEE !!!

If anyone is interested there is a place in Boring, OR that roasts and sells whole coffee beans as a secondary side line business. It's called BORING BARK. They typically have large potato sack size bags with beans from several countries there.

Lastly, Yes KONA but just like in the 80's Hawaiian is expensive and hard to come by.

Good lead, I'm always open to grinding new beans

I like the French roast beans at Costco, they come out of the bag oiley but tended to dry before I could use them up.

So I put them in one of those cashew containers to seal better.

Can we sample at the place in Boring so we know what we're getting?

Great post ironbar!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top