JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just discovered Freedom15 - ar15mold.com through their youtube channel and it seems relatively easy to pour your own resin lower with this kit.

The base mold and resin kit costs $319 and includes enough resin to produce 5 lowers.
$65.99 per lower. (not bad)

Curious if anyone has tried this yet. Also wanted to put it out there and see if anyone would be interested in trying this with me.

Cheers.

As someone who has done a LOT of resin casted parts, I would NOT advise that material for a receiver you plan on using long-term. The buffer ring is the weakest point of the structure, and WILL fail unless there some sort of supported armature threaded insert that can be embedded.

IMHO- You'd be better off going with 80% forged lowers and investing the money you'd spend on milling bits and a decent jig instead.

On the bright side, if SHTF, and you need some heat, you just need a match to light your lower and you've got a nice survival fire.

It's a neat idea and could option to create backups in an SHTF event, but that's as far as I would go with it. I'll stick with metal or at least metal reinforced polymer.

In my professional opinion it's just not worth it. I like the idea but it needs to be reinforced allot. And all metal lowers are so available and dirt cheap. If I am wanting a spare lower for when TSHTF I'm going to purchase one now and just throw it into my BOB, and forget it.
Or like it's been mentioned already, 80% lowers!

I'm thinking if you add some sort of agitator to get those bubbles out, it might come out stronger... In commercial world of concrete they use a worm shaker, it vibrates the bug holes out that make concrete crumble... Same concept.

The other option is to put the mold in a vacuum chamber after you pour the resin, that will also help pull out the bubbles.

Still doesn't account for the fact that it's not reinforced - that alone would keep me away from it.

The other option is to put the mold in a vacuum chamber after you pour the resin, that will also help pull out the bubbles.

Still doesn't account for the fact that it's not reinforced - that alone would keep me away from it.

That or a pressure pot, but you have to be QUICK on the stick to mix the resin and catalyst, make your pour into the molds, set it in the vac/pressure chamber and induce the atmospheric change BEFORE the exothermic reaction starts... usually that happens within a minute (or two) of mixing the "batter". It's not a lot of time!

That or a pressure pot, but you have to be QUICK on the stick to mix the resin and catalyst, make your pour into the molds, set it in the vac/pressure chamber and induce the atmospheric change BEFORE the exothermic reaction starts... usually that happens within a minute (or two) of mixing the "batter". It's not a lot of time!

I didn't look to see the reaction time on this stuff. I've worked with epoxy resins a bit and have worked with stuff that had a pot time of 1-5 minutes up to almost 45 minutes. I know with some resins you can reduce the amount of hardner/reagent to slow the process, but there is a limit to how far you can push that.

Maybe if Jerry Miculek was pouring the molds....:rolleyes:

It would be cool to make some chocolate ones using food grade silicone molds. I wonder what would happen if you gave one to an ATF agent. Or if you made one out of ice. Still a functional receiver for a little while at least it would probably fire at least once if it could take the hammer spring pressure.

It would be cool to make some chocolate ones using food grade silicone molds. I wonder what would happen if you gave one to an ATF agent. Or if you made one out of ice. Still a functional receiver for a little while at least it would probably fire at least once if it could take the hammer spring pressure.
Chocolate ar15, I think there might be a market for this. :)

Can you imagine the look on the dealers face when trying to sell one? Haha!

Ok of course my mind went to potential business ideas but I digress. :(

http://www.chocolateweapons.com/collections/chocolate-guns/products/chocolate-ar15

Chocolate glock would be a good one too.

I wonder what the ATF would say if I sent a letter of determination about selling a full scale 100% complete AR15 receiver in Chocolate. (I'd probably get the same answer as I got when I asked if I could get an FFL for selling at just at gun shows like Obama told me to or if I could make a power drill into a firearm )

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top