JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This sounds great Ben! Are "newer" shooters welcome (assuming they have the fundamentals of safe handling etc.)? Any age minimum? I'm thinking my 14 yr-old daughter would be very interested.

I took a quick look at the sign up page using your link. I'm assuming since it's a beta and so inexpensive things like T-shirt size etc. does not matter, and that even though the link is stating the course if for instructors only it's actually open to folks like me?

Thanks for handling all these questions.

We are developing a Pistol Clinic. It would fit somewhere between NRA basic pistol and a Defensive Handgun 1 class. Focus would be on pistol marksmanship: Grip, Stance, NPOA, trigger press & reset. Nothing out of a holster or involving movement 'off the x'. The program is still in Beta phase but I'm looking for guinea pigs to be shooters at the event. I'm running the event Nov 23 & 24. I'll be running the same material both days. You are welcome to come to one, either or both - just again; it's a beta program so it will not have the same polished flow as a typical AS event.

Eagle Creek, OR Instructor Training – Pistol Program – November 23, 2019 – Project Appleseed

Eagle Creek, OR Instructor Training – Pistol Program – November 24, 2019 – Project Appleseed

I'm guessing 250-300 rounds of ammo per day. You can run any traditional pistol (no rifle caliber pistols w/braces) including .22's and revolvers. Semi-auto w/2 mags is recommended. Personally, I'd run 9mm but to each their own. The club will charge $5 per day for any adult non-club members for use of the range.

I'll be there on the 24th!

This sounds great Ben! Are "newer" shooters welcome (assuming they have the fundamentals of safe handling etc.)? Any age minimum? I'm thinking my 14 yr-old daughter would be very interested.

I took a quick look at the sign up page using your link. I'm assuming since it's a beta and so inexpensive things like T-shirt size etc. does not matter, and that even though the link is stating the course if for instructors only it's actually open to folks like me?

Thanks for handling all these questions.
No experience necessary. There's discussion of putting an age limit on but it's not formalized at this moment - nothing in OR or Federal law nor club policy would exclude her. From my perspective - she's welcome.

Yes, anyone can sign up as long as you fully understand that we are not 100% ready for prime time yet. Not sure if I will have the correct 'pistoleer' patches or even the final version of the qualifying target. That's part of why I'm running the same curriculum both days; day 2 is a second bite at the apple for me to change up order or polish up an instruction block/drill etc. I'm looking for as much feedback as possible.

And shirts are our form of advertising - of course you get a shirt ; )

I use a 3x9 scope on my .22 rifle at Appleseed. Usually keep it on about 6x power.

That's what I was thinking.

I think I have decided on the model 60. Found a way to speed load it. Would like to do it with iron sights, but I don't think I'll be ready for that. Maybe next time I'll try.

Now it's getting the rifle outfitted in time... better trigger, sling, putting a scope back on, finding the right ammo, right spring for the ammo, finding the time to do everything, practice...

All my projects and interests have have been pretty much on hold since the Boy was conceived 3 and a half years ago and the work load to keep afloat. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm gonna make it.

Last Edited:
If you bring a tube-feed rifle to Appleseed, make sure they know when you arrive. The Prepare and Load commands assume magazines and the shoot boss will let you know how to adapt those commands to your firearm. When I took my Marlin 60, I was able to have fill the tube at the prepare command and lock down the rod at the Load command. Also, since you have no magazines to swap, they might have you load an extra round and eject it in place of a mag change.

I used a Spee-D-Loader and marked lines on the clear housing to indicate 10 and 11 rounds so I didn't have to count shells when I refilled it.

I did some more studying about how the shoot works and am reconsidering the tube fed rifle.

I have a 10/22 takedown with a red dot mounted on the barrel. I'm concerned about mounting a scope on the receiver and having POI issues using a sling. I'm leaning towards using with the red dot.

No experience necessary. There's discussion of putting an age limit on but it's not formalized at this moment - nothing in OR or Federal law nor club policy would exclude her. From my perspective - she's welcome.

Yes, anyone can sign up as long as you fully understand that we are not 100% ready for prime time yet. Not sure if I will have the correct 'pistoleer' patches or even the final version of the qualifying target. That's part of why I'm running the same curriculum both days; day 2 is a second bite at the apple for me to change up order or polish up an instruction block/drill etc. I'm looking for as much feedback as possible.

And shirts are our form of advertising - of course you get a shirt ; )

@Kimber Custom
Is this at douglas ridge?
Might have to make the trip down again. We had fun at the 2 gun match

@Kimber Custom

Still working on schedules etc. to see how many of us can attend and what days.

Question ... the DRRC Calendar states the start time as 0730. It is really this early? It takes a good hour for me to get to the club, so if it's going to be at the crack of dawn I need to start psyching up my-teen aged kids to the reality of such an early wake-up on a weekend! :rolleyes:

@Kimber Custom

Still working on schedules etc. to see how many of us can attend and what days.

Question ... the DRRC Calendar states the start time as 0730. It is really this early? It takes a good hour for me to get to the club, so if it's going to be at the crack of dawn I need to start psyching up my-teen aged kids to the reality of such an early wake-up on a weekend! :rolleyes:

Lol let's hope it's not that early lol. I'm driving down from Tacoma

@Kimber Custom: So it looks like my two boys and I can make both days! We are looking forward to the trigger time. We hope we can be good Guinee pigs and can provide you useful feedback.

@JSTUCK624: Please make sure to introduce yourself. I'll be the tall old guy with two tall strapping kids in tow.

@Kimber Custom: So it looks like my two boys and I can make both days! We are looking forward to the trigger time. We hope we can be good Guinee pigs and can provide you useful feedback.

@JSTUCK624: Please make sure to introduce yourself. I'll be the tall old guy with two tall strapping kids in tow.

@DLS Will do. Were just coming for sunday.
I'll be the bald guy in multicam pants lol

We are developing a Pistol Clinic. It would fit somewhere between NRA basic pistol and a Defensive Handgun 1 class. Focus would be on pistol marksmanship: Grip, Stance, NPOA, trigger press & reset. Nothing out of a holster or involving movement 'off the x'. The program is still in Beta phase but I'm looking for guinea pigs to be shooters at the event. I'm running the event Nov 23 & 24. I'll be running the same material both days. You are welcome to come to one, either or both - just again; it's a beta program so it will not have the same polished flow as a typical AS event.

Eagle Creek, OR Instructor Training – Pistol Program – November 23, 2019 – Project Appleseed

Eagle Creek, OR Instructor Training – Pistol Program – November 24, 2019 – Project Appleseed

I'm guessing 250-300 rounds of ammo per day. You can run any traditional pistol (no rifle caliber pistols w/braces) including .22's and revolvers. Semi-auto w/2 mags is recommended. Personally, I'd run 9mm but to each their own. The club will charge $5 per day for any adult non-club members for use of the range.

How did I just see this now, two days late! :s0140:

I can't wait until this is up and running. Everyone knows I can use the training :D

BTW @Kimber Custom and @Ironbar you guys should be adding the events to the event calendar. PM me if you need help.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top