JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No kidding. I was thinking about this the other day. It isn't possible is it? The round wouldn't fit into the chamber/barrel.

It can fit, especially with the lighter bullets. The shorter 125/110 grainers can be loaded short enough that they will sit inside the 556 chamber. As others have mentioned if you have any bullet setback the chances increase.

Anyone chambering/loading an AR (especially if you have both calibers on hand) needs to exercise reasonable intelligence/caution.

I had the charging handle marked 300 BLK. My reg AR is 16 in and my blk is 9....so i dont think ill f it up.
And if some one loads the wrong ammo in to a firearm....has bigger issues.

So anybody loading 147 gr????

Not here, I've been looking for loads for that size. I know PNW sells a 147gr load (they call it their range ammo) so I'm curious as to their recipe.

Seems most people are trying Lil'Gun for everything it'd seem. :) One post had a guy loading 16.4gr of Lil'Gun with 147 gr M80 pulls (see here).

For making the brass, if you want to be cheap. Just use a pipe cutter and cut the .223 case off at the base of the throat. Size it with a 300 BO die (or 221 fireball die). Trim, chamf and debur. I've found that the S&B cases are a bit thick and the rounds wont chamber unless you ream the neck first. A case gauge is great way to go to ensure that your rounds will chamber. LC brass is great, never had an issue with it and it's usually plentiful at the range.

As for Powders H110 works pretty well for SuperSonic. AA1680 is good for subsonic heavy pills.

So as to the question asked earlier as to whether a .300BLK will chamber in a .223 rem chamber, I think except for some kind of extreme situation, that doesn't seem too likely, I was out in the garage cutting some new case gauges (yes, I make my own) while I'm still waiting on my .300BLK reamer, I was making up a bunch of ones for .223. Well, a factory 300blk sticks out about 1/4" of an inch in a .223/5.56 chamber. Since many AR's won't close if the round is even a few thousandths off, I tend to doubt someone could close the action on a gun without a significant amount of effort.

Ok.....on one cares if 223 will fit in 300blk or if 300 will fit 223....
That issue is best dicused by retards that sometimes look down
The barrel to see if the gun is loaded.....now if you tryed to load 223
Into your 300blk after reading this thread just so you could report
Back to say yes or no.....you are .......dangerous...and i dont mean
" Gangsta " dangerous! Can we please stay on topic?.....load data for 147gr. or
Most any load data for 300 blk.

Okay. The 300AAC will not fully fit in the 223/556 chamber and the 223/556 will not fit in the 300AAC chamber. BUT you may be able to get the 223/556 to go in to the 300AAC if you try hard with the F/A.

Fork,

Yea, I had a bit of consternation about the topic going sideways as much as it did, but still it's a good bit of info as long as the topic was out there. Hopefully it's been shut down satisfactorily.

Anyways, Like I said in my last post, I have a .300BLK reamer on it's way (kinda miffed it's not here yet, but oh well) and I also just ordered 3 barrel blanks, so possibly in the next few weeks I should have a chance to machine up a 8-9" barrel for my test gun and start working up some test data. I'm not going to be taking pressure readings just yet, unless someone wants to order another pressure transducer for me ($1200 plz).

Ok, so the reamer showed up yesterday, and I made a case check gauge, regular .223 does not fit inside it. so that answers that question. Barrel blanks are on order, and it will probably be more than a few weeks before I get the barrel, and get it set up to fit in the test gun.

If anyone is interested, more than a few people have asked me to make case gauges for .300 BLK, so it looks like I will be making a run of them.

.300 BLK case check, still waiting on the stamp.

CG300BLK.jpg

CG300BLK.jpg

I shoot a lot of 300 blk. The 30-06 tracers I load for 12.7 cents per loaded round so it's cheap trigger time. However the accuracy is horrible. I have tried and tried to get more accuracy out of three different guns this bullet still sucks. I also shoot a bunch of other bullets ranging from 110gr to 247gr for subsonic use and have amazing success. I run once fired lc brass thru the tumbler and then thru my dillon 650 with the rt1200 trimmer mounted to a CH4D trim die in a special tool head that is billet but has had the top 1/3 shaved off. I can process a rediculous amount of brass in a short amount of time. If your not going to get a similar setup don't waste your time converting brass cause you'll just cry when you loose a couple of them. Have it done it's worth it. Many people will tell you this round was developed for sbr surpressed use with the capability of shooting supers. This is incorrect Rob Silvers the project lead at Remington has stated many times that supersonic was number one but the round excells at subsonic speeds. I visit 300blktalk.com regularly and there is plenty of really usefull info over there. This round is really fun and the first time you shoot a yote surpressed you'll just smile. The round hitting the yote makes a louder thump than the subsonic round going off.

This is one of those things that really interests me about the round... I've been messing around with .308 subsonic for years, and had quite a bit of success, usually I use .30-30 bullets for the greater weight/volume/length ratios they have, and can be exceedingly accurate out to 300 yards. Anticipating doing more with this cartridge, I picked up a few boxes last time I was up in SEA for $14/bx, other than the fact that .223 brass is nearly free at any range you go to, I don't really understand why so many people are gung-ho about forming it themselves for exactly the reasons you state.

Also, as to the tracer bullets... typically these were intended to be fired out of a machinegun, one thing I've noticed about a lot of WW2 era MG ammo was that it was purposely off-balanced by having the jacket thinner on one side, so the core would wobble. The reason for this was to create a larger "beaten area" when firing the MG for suppression, I remember some years ago I got my hands on a few thousand pulled vickers MG bullets to load in my .303 brit sniper rifle. At first I thought there was something wrong with my rifle, my scope, and then myself, but nope, it turned out it was the bullets. About the best grouping I could reliably get was 8-10" at 100 yards, switching back to PRVI ammo, that group shrank back down to a respectable 2" at 100 yards.

Hope that helps to explain a few things... also, tracer bullets tend to rocket off and do some strange things in flight. I don't think most bullets tend to corkscrew in flight, if they do, there is little indication on paper. Even with the listed problems, tracers can still be a heck of a lot of fun, provided you're in a flooded rock quarry in a torrential rainstorm, and have a shovel and a few friends to help you put out the fires.

That IS helpful.
I wonder if the 147Gr 30 cal black tip AP bullets might also have the same issue?
I know many did find themselves in Garands.

This is one of those things that really interests me about the round... I've been messing around with .308 subsonic for years, and had quite a bit of success, usually I use .30-30 bullets for the greater weight/volume/length ratios they have, and can be exceedingly accurate out to 300 yards. Anticipating doing more with this cartridge, I picked up a few boxes last time I was up in SEA for $14/bx, other than the fact that .223 brass is nearly free at any range you go to, I don't really understand why so many people are gung-ho about forming it themselves for exactly the reasons you state.

Also, as to the tracer bullets... typically these were intended to be fired out of a machinegun, one thing I've noticed about a lot of WW2 era MG ammo was that it was purposely off-balanced by having the jacket thinner on one side, so the core would wobble. The reason for this was to create a larger "beaten area" when firing the MG for suppression, I remember some years ago I got my hands on a few thousand pulled vickers MG bullets to load in my .303 brit sniper rifle. At first I thought there was something wrong with my rifle, my scope, and then myself, but nope, it turned out it was the bullets. About the best grouping I could reliably get was 8-10" at 100 yards, switching back to PRVI ammo, that group shrank back down to a respectable 2" at 100 yards.

Hope that helps to explain a few things... also, tracer bullets tend to rocket off and do some strange things in flight. I don't think most bullets tend to corkscrew in flight, if they do, there is little indication on paper. Even with the listed problems, tracers can still be a heck of a lot of fun, provided you're in a flooded rock quarry in a torrential rainstorm, and have a shovel and a few friends to help you put out the fires.

I went out to the range on sat. And I had 147 gr. Winchesters on top of 16.7 gr of lil gun.
Winchester SRP primer.
It seemed to do very well at 30-40 yards next mo. I will do 100-200 yrd.tes
I was looking for pressure signs and controlabillity....all was well but keep in mind I have
a 9" pipe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top