JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As with any Russian/Chinese "historic-antique" rifle, accuracy is not their best feature. I can hit a 4" circle at 100 yards, which is as accurate as I need for this type of weapon. I have a highly-modified AK47 as well. It's a little less accurate. I know that there are longer-barrel sniper rifles based on the AK design that are more accurate but they are hard to find these days. My fascination with Russian rifles is over. I spent quite a bit of money on a older, Finnish made, HEX receiver Mosin Nagant. Lots of barrel work, re-crowned barrel, free floating, Timney trigger, bent bolt, Boyd's laminated stock, glass bedding, pillar bedding, custom scope mount, etc. It shot OK but I would have been better served spending the money on a purpose-built, modern long-range rifle. They were all fun projects but the results were mixed.

IMG_0032 (2) - Copy.jpeg IMG_0033.jpeg

It shot OK but I would have been better served spending the money on a purpose-built, modern long-range rifle.
Very true. I tinkered with some cheap Mausers about 20 years ago and came to the same conclusion. I like the historical rifles for what they are, but modern bolt action hunting rifles are so inexpensive and accurate nowadays that it's just not practical to try to do much with surplus guns, unless it's just something you really like to do.

I recently purchased a Savage AXIS II XP. I bought it for its accu-trigger, inherent accuracy, and low cost. I have replaced the plastic stock with a new Boyd's Spike Camp stock. I have purchased Boyd's stocks before and I'm impressed with this new one. I pillar bedded the rifle, my 93 year old Dad machined a couple of brass pillars and knurled them. Now I'm about to do a little epoxy bedding for increased sturdiness and ultimately greater accuracy. This project is much more rewarding than hours spent on the Russian rifles. Looking forward to sighting it in.

Hello all... Late bloomer to the SKS! I confess I was never a fan and remember the $79 deals of the '80's. I have just aquired a nice clean Norinco that impresses me very much. The syn stock feels good... What would a wood stock cost these days?

Cheers

IMG_20200828_082101454.jpg

Two of my four SKS's. Both are Norincos (haven't bothered to date them, if I even could) and both have been excellent shooters. The top one is my take on a reproduction field expedient "sniper" rifle like those made and used during the Bosnian war - it actually works much better than I expected it to. The scope is mounted on a side-plate I ordered from Russia years ago. On a side note - I have a whole new appreciation on the quality of the steel the Chinese used in these rifles after drilling and tapping for the optic plate, that is some hard steel!

Sks Pair.jpg

Here's a taste of some of my handiwork.

From top to bottom:

Parts built gun in a jungle stock, scrubbed bits, blue bolt carrier, Alby bayo, navel sling. Thank you Lkermit, RIP

The Canadian Deer Slayer - A rifle that came with the barrel pre cut at 18.5 inches, Mojo peep (had no front sight), neutered FSB, 5 round mag, Butler Creek furniture with no-vent Choate HG, black sling. Came in crappy camo wood. Matching numbers.

Firstist home built Paratrooper in a bayo slot inletted Para stock & cheese greater HG, Williams peep, P50 front sight, TriDelta threaded brake, VZ58 sling, matching numbers.

A restocked Para with French Tickler HG (another gun that came ruin't in camo), an SKS sling I'd not seen before. Receiver, bolt & carrier match, mag and TG match.

They're all really good looking rifles that handle sweet. PAX

002.jpg 001.jpg

Cabinet full of SKSs, some hanging in T6s (spike, blade, & Para without) and a rack of bolt guns
display.jpg

I built a home grown Para quite some time ago. Numbers all match, in the white mostly. It came to me cut, and this is what I did with it.

002.jpg

I've never seen a Parka Para in person, but I did locate a green K-Sport branded stock less the HG. I took one of my wood K-Sport Hunters and quasi cloned a Parka Para, minus the park. I had a black Butler Creek HG to mount, so at least the furniture is correct. With a black sling, recoil pad, and HG, it looks pretty cool. It's all matching numbers including the original furniture.

002.jpg

I've had this Paratrooper for some time. In fact it was my first Para, and it came in some fugly painted furniture. All the short lug stocks I came across went to other more needy projects. I decided I give a TAPCO T6 with a twist a go. OD & black, grip mod, black Navel sling. Still a spiffy little rig, and nothing permanent. It is a commercial abomination anyway.

T6-para-002.jpg

Some of the SKSs I sold/traded last January. PAX
3-sks-001.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show